What Did You Do On Your Z Today?

Ponyo240z

Mike.

My drivers side door glass was really badly scratched and I had it polished out by a guy near me (eastern burbs). Cost $70 and came up really well.

Cant remember his name but its in my build thread.

David 

I hadn't driven the Z in a couple of months due to waiting for club rego paperwork.

It wouldn't kick to life, normally it starts quite easily. Fuel was getting through pump, etc so decided to clean fuel bowls. Surely enough, fuel had dried up and turned to crud.

Interestingly enough, one of the bowls still had what looked to be like the original copper (or some sort of metal) float.

Started without an issue after a good clean.

• Administrators

It's funny where things end up..

I spent the afternoon removing 40 years of crud off it. Turns freely by hand and cam lobe (under oil cap) looks clean. So it's probably a runner.

Need to paint it and replate all the hardwsre, then I plan to shove it in #150 for some giggles.

Thanks @JDM-TOYfor the home delivery and @George for not scrapping it.

IMG_20180909_175230.jpg

IMG_20180909_175218.jpg

IMG_20180909_175203.jpg

Hey that came up good from what it looked like. @gav240z very welcome champ, Im glad you took it off my hands loll but also glad it will get used and not sitting in my shed.

Also a big thanks to all those washers you had stashed for a day like yesterday lol

Looking forward to seeing the progress on #150 running

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I'm in the middle of a TM-1081ZB(S) Radio restoration.

This particular radio was packaged badly and upon arrival had been bashed in (on 1 corner). Part of the circuit board had been snapped.

More photos here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AvuUP6gMXZW9qMKL7

Radio seems to work fine, despite it's rough transit. I am going to re-plate the housings, might repaint the black parts and the signal seek needle (orange) and I'll try and glue down the missing bit of the circuit board and rejoin the break with solder or similar (bridge it).

I'm hammering and dolly the chassis back into shape as best as I can (straighten it out).

Might try repair the chipped corner on the faceplate (see how well it holds up).

Last part will be the pig tail wiring harness / fuse holder etc..

I decided to try restore this 1 since it was already damaged and if I ruined it, I wouldn't have to hate myself.

IMG_20180920_224847.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What did I do today......I planned to put in the dash and all the other components in underneath, I even sort the help of a tall gentleman from the east. 

So what happened.......absolutely nothing in the end, everything is back in the "storage" boxes.

Moral of the story, check the heater core is the right size after being re-cored....because 5mm makes a hell of a lot of difference.....FFS & rant over. 

*Edit: The core itself is technically the correct length, but the two sections where the end tanks are held are slightly thicker & the edges are 3mm higher, so core doesn't sit as nicely inside the heater box, and the metal brace also sits higher

Edited by OdinZ
Additional Info

• Administrators

Last few days I've spent hours going through the external engine fasteners which I wish to get yellow cadmium plated along with some items vapour blasted for the engine out of #150.

I basically took photos, measured thread pitch and bolt length of each item and put them into a bag. Knowing that when I get them back they will be in a messy disorder.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tgZBfcXupb7BPvT19

Photos in the album above for anyone who is interested. I'm also plating some odds and ends like radio casing, steering wheel bits and bobs and any other bits I could find lying around as spares.

I had success with my SUs last time and am contemplating sending off another set for the same treatment this time.

I also spent time degreasing an old sump which doesn't have any major dents in it (quite rare these days), but what a disgusting / messy job that is. I discovered the factory sump colour must be black with blue overspray.

*EDIT - Please ignore numbers in the brackets of the first few images eg: 22x0.5 (1.0). Ignore the (1.0) part. I was misreading the chart on the back of my thread pitch tool box.

Some FYI"s to the legend I used.

1. I measured the height of the bolts in mm and rounded up or down when they were not quite a rounded number.

2. TP = Thread Pitch and they are all metric

3. For large lots of the same size I counted number of fasteners.

4. Some parts I think may not be OEM, I added some misc fasteners I had in storage and odds and ends were thrown in, because it makes sense to do this stuff in bulk.

5. Refer to photos for reference of what bolts go together etc..

Hopefully someone finds this useful. I plan to do more of these collections for other bolts/parts on an S30Z. But given that platers mix all of them in together I don't want to do them all in 1 hit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 1:59 PM, 72240Z said:

My 27 piece weatherstrip kit arrived, I'll let you know how it compares to the factory parts.

487379531_Screenshotfrom2018-12-2319-51-51.thumb.png.32a92f8058e50fe01471b8bcbe12f50c.png

Was this a precision kit? It looks a little more elaborate actually. I did one on mine and found it to be pretty good, usual issue of door seals being a little too chunky and causing some slight closing issues but nothing major. 

I've had this reproduction console since Christmas 2017 (how good is a good misso) but it took some time to track down an ashtray, fog light blank and shifter boot. 

Very pleased with the final result, now just trying to decide what to do about a radio, I'd love an original or one of those classic looking new units. 

IMG_20190109_103105_726.jpg

On 1/8/2019 at 1:59 PM, 72240Z said:

My 27 piece weatherstrip kit arrived, I'll let you know how it compares to the factory parts.

487379531_Screenshotfrom2018-12-2319-51-51.thumb.png.32a92f8058e50fe01471b8bcbe12f50c.png

Can you please give us some more detail on where the kit came from and initial thoughts.

i look forward to hearing how they fit.

mick

I bought it from Ebay     https://www.ebay.com/str/Bluest-Skies?_trksid=p2047675.l2563      because an old post on hybridz     https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/124563-door-seals-weatherstrip-i-found-a-set-that-works/   the picture is off the ebay ad and I don't know who made it. It's in a box in the back of the z right now but when I have some time I will compare it to the factory weatherstrip and post some pictures  

Finally got around to installing the chrome mouldings for my windscreen and hatch. After several attempts (and cut fingers) trying to install the factory chrome mouldings i gave up and purchased the Rarespares chrome mouldings that comes in a roll. It is much easier to fit and very forgiving in terms of installation. Whereas the stock datsun trim needs to be installed with the windscreen out this can be done with glass in place.

Total Installation time for front and rear= 20 mins, and looks alot better than the datsun trim.

20190108_165040.jpg

• Administrators

I understand why you did it and it looks great.

But for a purist it just won't do for me! haha.

However with a screen already installed, it would be a massive pain to have to remove it, install the trim and then the screen again.

I'm still not sure how to remove the old trims without damaging them!