Compromise Tyres - Road And Wet Track

Cozza

G'day all

I have recently acquired wheels that I will use specifically for race tyres and it won't be long till I need to replace the tyres on my current road wheels.

After a super sprint at SMSP on Sunday with 2 very wet sessions, I'm thinking my next road tyres would double as wet track tyres and hoping for input from you guys.

Or is this just a bad idea?

Both brand and sizing ideas would be great.

My road wheels are 15x7 0 offset.

Thanks

Mick

You'd be pleasantly surprised how well road tyres, if pumped up to 40-45 si perform in the wet.

Most will sipe water out, and, at that pressure they almost "crown" so that they are in good contact with the surface.

N a wet day, i'd swap over the 225/50x15 almost slicks, at 18-20 psi, for some 185/60x14 roady type rubber, at 45 psi, in tye twitchy in the wet Datsun Sports 2000, and i'd off like a robbers dog!

Still moves about, but very controllable

So, Mick, yes, go for it!

Thanks for your feedback

Lurch I've had a look at those dunlops they seem to have great reviews

d3c0y and Agno, I haven't tried 888's but I know what you mean by stiff sidewalls. They can be teeth shattering

It sounds like most of you use "R-specs" for both wet and dry track days as well as road use? Am I overthinking this and should do the same?

My Potenza re-11 tyres have not been all that impressive, in the wet particularly. My previous tyres were Toyo RA1's which were great and performed ok in the wet but I thought there was still a better wet option out there and maybe a good road tyre that can sype the water would be a better option?

My thoughts were much like Jason has suggested, to run 225/45/15 R spec tyres (I've also thought about slicks but don't know anything about them) for dry track days and 205 or even 195 something's on the road and as a wet track tyre.

I guess I am looking for a more forgiving type tyre for street use and hoping it will perform well for track days.

Thanks again for the advice so far and please keep the ideas coming or tell me I'm crazy and I should just stick to R-specs for everything.

Cheers

I ran R888's on road and track as well. As a wet track tyre they were epic, as a dry track tyre I felt they were off the pace. Perhaps the compound is different now and the dry grip is better as that was 2011-2013. I also found them very noisy and they seemed to tram track on contoured roads.

I've got 4yo Bridgestone RE11s semis still on the car now. They're shot but even from new the wet grip was terrifying, aqua planing at 80kph on the freeway during a sun shower so much I was seriously considering stopping and waiting for the light rain to stop. Their dry grip is great though.

I've just run the r-specs for everything but it's expensive and you use up good grip on the road where you don't need all of it. If you have two sets of wheels I think the best bet is to run the wet tyres on road and save the dry ones for track days.

Been a couple of years since I mixed with track blokes who ran dual purpose tyres like KU36's but offerings like Hankook's Ventus RS3 would be worth considering. For wet weather performance look for (usually) two wide and deep centre grooves around the circumference, from memory sipes were effective on icy roads and so are not usually useful in this country and are not good on a track tyre. Blocky tread is not good either, it is easily deformed during heavy use and so does not perform or wear well.

The R888 had been discontinued from last check and replaced with the R888R which from memory isn't as good in the wet and more focused on dry conditions.

I am looking into the Hankook Ventus RS4 which should be released in the next few months in sizes 195x50x15, 225x45x15 and 245x40x15.

Have a look at the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R, I had them on my 240Z and was amazed at the level of grip, feel and response in the dry and wet. I never got around to tracking them but I've only heard and read good reviews, I think the widest profile for a 15" rim is 205/50. What sort of budget do you have? I think they're priced pretty well too.

John