Welding Quater Window Frames?

aircobra

the story  is that in the most rusty z in the galaxy( that;s my car), even the little tab in the rear quarter window has rusted odd.  has anyone attempted to fabricate and weld one on? i can't workout if there are sstainless or chrome plated frames?

https://www.autopartone.com/products/72-73-datsun-240z-oem-rear-quarter-window-glass-left

are they brazed on?

thanks

Is it the screw in bracket inside the bottom of the stainless quarter window frame?

I had bugger all rust in my car but that steel cad plated bracket was toast, I internally tig welded the corner of the stainless frame and got rid of the bracket all together. The upper one is still in place as it was in very good condition. 

i think there 's 3 of them , all for holding in the frame from the inside

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0743/9051/products/20150812_094551_large.jpg?v=1442269121

what material is the frame?

looks like it was plated and then welded on. which means the plating got burned off and they started rusting on day #1

Ditto Gareth J, they were electroplated steel, screw fixed to the stainless steel frames as staking angles to hold the mitred corners together, just like with picture frames.

Dumb idea, mixing two different materials. Even on cars without rust issues the lower front corner ones will eventually rust (water gets into the mitre joints as they are unsealed) therefore they blow up & expand & force the mitred joints apart.

Remove them, make up fresh new ones in galv or SS & install them so as to pull the mitres tight together. Paint them heavily in POR-15 or cold galv or whatever, & seal up the frame joints, before reinstalling the windows, & they should be good for many years to come.

I wouldn't weld them as I'd want to be able to disassemble the frames if I needed to in the future.

Edited by gilltech

• 1 month later...

These were the brackets you were originally asking about (pic attached). They look stainless to me, perhaps the welds were mild steel and that's why they rusted?

As for the other frame brackets, the welded lower 90degree corner still allows for the window to be easily disassembled. Even if you did things the same as the factory using dissimilar metals they'll still last another 40yrs.

Edit: won't let me load the picture

Edited by Gareth. J.