Project 51 In 907 Green

• Moderators

I actually brought my partner Maria along with me and before I got there I said "now don't let me do anything silly". Well after I saw it and thought I can't really take it on, as much as I'd like to. My partner said to me. "I think you should buy it".

It is great that Maria is so supportive of your hobby, or should we say obsession - as previously mentioned, she is a keeper.

Anita (my better half) has also been incredibly supportive of my many crazy automotive antics over the past 25 years and her support is large part of why I have my toys.

It's good that this car has gone to a fastidious restorer and is no longer sitting under a tree quietly rusting away or else gone to a 'she'll be right' pretend restorer. Keep this up Gav and you will become the go to Zed man in Australia, as we all agree, all that's needed now is a place to store all this stuff. Plus some way to make it all pay just a bit would be helpful I'm sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Hmmm I didn't update this thread, found a driver side NOS 1/4 panel for it (it appeared on eBay US with a buy it now and I just grabbed it). Now to find a passenger side 1/4 panel. I may have a lead on 1 too!

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg

I was watching that too! Glad you got it, it looks amazing - $600 USD was a bit too much for me though, plus it would of been a pain to get here.

Was this the final justification needed to go ahead with importing parts? :)

• Administrators

$600 USD seemed cheap compared to cost of fixing what I have (sadly cost me another $300 to transport it to the warehouse) and will be another couple hundred to get it here plus tax, but also it was cheaper than the last set I was bidding on on Yahoo! Auctions. Actually the biggest hassle is importing and figuring that out, but I'm using a company now that I am trialling out. We will see how it goes. Only problem is lag time, 3 months. I have a set of 5 Topy wheels with them also (on their way) and plan to start doing more panels.

It was definitely part of the justification. Too many times I'd see what I need in the US but not sure about how to get it here that I'd have to leave it. Now with the scarcity of stuff over here I think someone needs to start doing it. It's always better to source panels locally but I must have looked at 10 bonnets lately, all in bad shape...

To really make this economical though it would help to have points of contact with several panels in the US that can send in bulk. I've managed to find a couple of folks but haven't really gone further with it yet until I know what demand is like.

• Administrators

I've considered offering parts for S30z's here as a business venture but realistically I think it will only ever work as a part time venture.

Anyway will see how we go.

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators

Found a NOS door skin (driver side), that will likely be used in this restoration, since the rare spares ones don't quite fit right (in terms of panel gaps) without significant re-working.

Just a bit of surface rust.

637949898.jpg

637950278.jpg

637950315.jpg

637950358.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, jeff43 said:

I could you see you and this car in a Garage like this Gav. Sorry about the quality of the pic.

Funny, I was just thinking today if I should do the butterscotch interior on this car. I am pretty sure it was black from factory, although it may have been changed at some point (and re-coloured black). Not sure if it would be acceptable on an early car like this? But I do like the combo.

Now you got me thinking about this place I saw the other day.

https://www.realcommercial.com.au/property-land+development-vic-brunswick+east-502865670

Hideous looking house, but cool man cave!
image7.jpg

image8.jpg

vin332_001.jpg

datsun-240z-5.jpg

vin332_002.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Attaching some photos of the full brochure for the Green AU market 240z. Len Brennan showed me this brochure many years ago in person and I've not been able to find the images again until Kats posted them on Classiczcars.com. I still like to think this could have been #51, although no way to know or verify it really.

IMG_0791_JPG_3f8397136413fa0529995826623cfad9.thumb.jpg.dce2c294cc599180e260fcd9b13f9ed8.jpg

IMG_0790_JPG_6cfcf3e79d6d80ebe6899077ee907788.thumb.jpg.ad80951150f50a132b33b33ad502c630.jpg