aircobra

Dimenisons For Original Radio?

does anyone have this . i think i'll just stick in the latest blutooth set, cause i can;t find any reasonably priced radios

I've got a few, but none I'm willing to sell for what is deemed "reasonable" prices by many ;). I plan to restore / refurb and sell them.

i realise they are pricey, so just need the overall dimensions of the box sot hat i can work out which unit will fitcould you r

could you run a  ruler over one pls?

Here are my measurements of an Hitachi TM-1018ZB.

They do not include a few screw heads that project about 3mm.

post-101663-0-03416700-1488509530_thumb.jpg

Modern radios/stereos/head units are either single DIN or double DIN (double-height);

"The measurement of a standard DIN slot is 2-1/8” (50mm) height by 7-1/8” (180mm) width."

Therefore any single DIN unit should fit.

Edited by GongZ

how does it actually mount? i can see the screwas at the back. is it supported by just the face plate at the front?

how does it actually mount? i can see the screws at the back. is it supported by just the face plate at the front?

Yes - the radio is fixed to the face plate by the nuts on the control shafts, and the face plate is fixed to the dash with 4 visible screws.

Yes - the radio is fixed to the face plate by the nuts on the control shafts, and the face plate is fixed to the dash with 4 visible screws.

It is good practice to add a support or bracket on the back of the unit as well.

Well that is what I do.

It is good practice to add a support or bracket on the back of the unit as well.

Well that is what I do.

I was responding to how the original radio is fitted - i.e. it also has two screws on the sides as shown in the 'TOP' view photo above. I agree that radios/head units do need additional support, rather than being simply cantilevered from the face plate