Front Suspension Arm - 'please Explain'?

PeterAllen

In the course of my Engineer's Inspection the wheelbase was measured at 15mm shorter than that stated in various spec sheets.

When I installed the TC rods (15) (leading arms - compression arms) I thought it odd they required the lower suspension arm (7) to be pushed rearward, with some force, just to get the nut started on the TC rod. I thought it even more odd that quite a degree of back-sweep was induced as I wound the nut to a stop.

I've fitted OEM rubber bushes (17) and I assumed (!) the metal sleeve insert (16) was meant to form a fixed connection between the permanent flange on the TC rod and the large washer used with the nut, and thus tighten the nut to that position.

I'm wondering if it was some trick 'back in the old days' to reposition the fixed flange to alter caster?

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

70-78-Front-Suspension%20diagram%202_zps

Edited by PeterAllen

Have you got the left and right arms 7 on the right sides coz the swing arm bushes have spacers to one side.

Cutting the inside caster bush in half and shortening bush sleeve is a cheap trick to get more caster.

Seeing that the wheelbase is short it follows that caster has been reduced which no sensible person would ever do with a S30. Increase caster, yes.

Yep, agree with that.

Have you got the left and right arms 7 on the right sides coz the swing arm bushes have spacers to one side.

Cutting the inside caster bush in half and shortening bush sleeve is a cheap trick to get more caster.

I only have a 260 manual which indicates the swing arm offset is towards the front of the vehicle. If had mounted them the wrong sides then the distortion under assembly would be less but they would 'naturally' shorten the wheelbase.

post-100401-0-10586100-1488342938_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I don't quite follow the modification? Wouldn't that mean reducing caster?

Edited by PeterAllen

D'oh... What an idiot.

This is what can happen if you take too long on a project and keep leaving tasks and coming back to them, particularly when combined with a low IQ.

I realise now that some time ago I repositioned the pivot point for the swing arm, outwards, on the front cross-member. That has clearly been enough to require a lengthening of the TC rod far more than I recognised... What an idiot.

From memory you moved the LCA pivot point up and out by about 18mm.

Surely that can't effect the castor rod length by 15mm can it?

SWR have fatter and longer threaded (adjustable) castor rods that should do the trick. The XD - XF falcon is another option as mentioned above.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay. It took 2 hours to drive across wet Sydney to remove two castor rod off a XD Falcon.

Removed the pair of bolts connected to the lower control arm but didn't have a spanner in my kit to remove the nuts from the threaded end.

I'll have to borrow a pair.

Does anyone know the distance across the flats on these nuts - it's bigger than 22mm. Thanks

post-100401-0-57223000-1490058540_thumb.jpg