Round Top Su Carbies Tech Tips Wanted

the red zed

G'day Gents,

Recently took the old girl for a spin after few months in storage. Seems the carbies start to starve for fuel whenever on slopes ( some time could hear carbies popping ) However, It runs like a dream on flats.. These are the fuel set up from the previous owner : Essentially the mechanical fuel pump was replaced with in line electric pump. Both Fuel filter before fuel pump fitted top outside of fuel tank. There is no fuel line reducer on the returning fuel line. Old Fuel filter had deposit & was replaced with new one.

Question : 1) Does the carbies floats need a retune?

2) Both fuel filter & pump should be fitted at lower part of tank.?

3) Does fuel tank could use a good clean.?

Your advise are much appreciated. Thanks

• Moderators

Hi

Without looking at the car, here are my thoughts.

1. Possibly the carbies need work

2. Unlikely, assuming the pump is Ok

3. Wouldn't hurt, mine was full of crap.

Cheers

PB

Hi

Without looking at the car, here are my thoughts.

1. Possibly the carbies need work

2. Unlikely, assuming the pump is Ok

3. Wouldn't hurt, mine was full of crap.

Cheers

PB

The pump had only 1500km on the clock according to the previous owner, I guess carbies & fuel tank works decision be made once I get the pressure reading prior. considering it's a heck of a job . Many thanks PB260Z..

There is no fuel line reducer on the returning fuel line.

​This seems odd to me, if there is no restrictor in the return line then the flow will always follow the easiest path back to the tank.

The factory fuel rail has a restrictor built in.

Roger

There is no fuel line reducer on the returning fuel line.

​This seems odd to me, if there is no restrictor in the return line then the flow will always follow the easiest path back to the tank.

The factory fuel rail has a restrictor built in.

Roger

Yeah, since the stock mechanical pump been replaced by electric pump, May be need a fuel regulator at the return.. cheers

Hi Guys, apologies for the late reply. Managed to get the fuel pressure gauge hooked up this arvo. Intially it reads 1.5 psi at idling. However, it drops to 1 whenever I gave it a rev. I discovered puddle of fuel sitting on top of one of the reservoir. Symptom persist after fuel line to reservoir was replaced suspect hairline crack due to ageing. The rubber seal does appear to be squeezed by comparing to the other one.

I'm tempted to replace the seal but before I go down that path, I though I would like to gather more info from here.

Cheers.