How To Put Back The Hood Torsion Bars? Despareate And Hingeless

aircobra

been all over the internet, all i can find is the photos of the hinges already with the rods. i have worked out how they go into the hinges, but not how to put tension in them

there are a couple of posts that suggest that you bolt in the hinges and then stick in the rods , but there are out by at least 90 degrees, so they need to be rotated

the FSM has a photo of a guy with a screwdriver - and that's it!!!

can someone pls help before i torch this whole bloody car ;-(

Fully bolt in one hinge and put in just one bolt on the otherside so that it can still rotate and install the bars then twist the loose hinge into position and bolt up. Its actually pretty simple.

If you need more leverage use a pry bar or screwdriver through one of the spare bolt holes.

Rotates about 90 degrees. Under tension with the bars installed and off the car the 2 hinges sit on the same angle as one another.

You start one rod first on both hinges. At this stage one hinge will be about 90 degrees out. Then twist hinge (not fully bolted hinge) and install the other rod. The second bar keeps it from twisting back and allows you to bolt it up. Just use a pry bar. I guess i make it sound easy as ive done it about 20 times.

you do make it sound easy, i see you;re in melb, do you mind if i grab your phone #, so i can send you a couple of photos

so

1. bolt up one hinge, insert one rod with the round head in the hinge

2. insert 90 deg bend into the other hing and insert the bottom front

3. use large screwdriver to spin hinge approx 90 degrees.

now. here's where i'm losing you

a. complete the rotation, insert 2 other bolts and then insert the other ord

OR

b, insert 2nd rod and complete the rotation

I just went through this recently too and i'm trying to remember what I did. But basically you assemble it off the car and if the front of the hinge is on your left spin it to the right after one side is bolted in the car like Retro Z said. Just make it look like my photo if you do it the other way it doesn't look right.

post-100549-0-66572300-1488059574_thumb.jpg post-100549-0-65940100-1488059586_thumb.jpg post-100549-0-24893100-1488059813_thumb.jpg post-100549-0-32945800-1488059824_thumb.jpg

Edited by d3c0y

• Administrators

Do these help?

Facing the front of the car they go like this.

IMG_20170204_202701.jpg

This is where it sits with the bonnet.

IMG_20170204_184055.jpg

How it looks on 1 side.

IMG_20170204_202111.jpg

To get them in and out I tilt the bonnet and lift the pin into it with a large screw driver for leverage. However I'm not worried about scratching paint on my car. It might be easier to put it together off the car.

If it wasn't 180 degrees there would no be tension on the hinges in the open position...

1. Assemble the rods and hinges off the car, yes on side will be upside down. 
  2. You can leave the top button part of the rod disconnected on one side if you want to make it easier to twist
  3. Get wife to hold one side together while you bolt the side that's the right way up to the car.
  4. go to the other side, thank wife, twist hinge assembly 180 degrees towards the rear of the car
  5. Use a tool of your choice to pull the other rod into the tab.
  6. Congratulate yourself

You can if you want but Brisbane is a fairly decent drive with no bonnet.

Edited by d3c0y

got it, i'll give it a shot tonite. ifyou have a look at my photos, you can see i have replaced the wife with sticky tape (ho ho ho, that's a cracker, don't pass that pearler to just anyone). may have to use a torque wrench or something to twist the hinge. the screwdriver picture in the fms spins me out as the most useless photo ever

• Administrators

It's easier to compress the hinges when the bonnet is on due to weight and leverage.

Or you could try assemble the hinge set up off the car and then put it on the car.

ok, got the hinges in and one rod - by combination of using my knees, hands and some rubber blocks. scratches EVERYONE, so much unhappiness all round.

now, no way i can stick it the 2nd rod by hand or with a screwdriver - has to be rotated 180 degrees also. i was thinking of using a long crowar and using some ubolts to hold the rod in place, then i can lever it in

surely someone has rigged SOMETHING for this?

thanks all for your help - if there was a virtual beer, i would buy a round

this is how the saga ended last nite ( post mounting first hinge and first bar)

• i ended up using a "d" shackle to steady the bottom of rod into the recepticle where it would go once in place eg parallel to the bottom bar
  • sat down in from of the car and using my bare hands rotated the rod using a weightlifting squat type of a manouver, while pushing the hinge backwards and down to meet the rod
  • slipped into the opening and bob's your uncle

you definitely needs hands and arms of steel to do it this way. i was jiggling around with straps, rope , jimmy bars, vice grips, etc

and then i saw jesus

3rd worst job of the restoration

Oh sorry i just saw your reply. I would've come around to do it for you. Glad you finally got it in though. I guess its one of those things that sound harder than it really is.

• 2 months later...

Did this today...piece of cake.

1. Mount one hinge with 3 bolts, mount the other side with just the lower front bolt so it can swivel downwards and back.
  2. Place the tension rod with the T head on the side with 3 bolts and slide the other 90 degree end into the other side, it will be easy because this side is rotated down to relieve tension.
  3. Rotate the hinge and install the other 2 bolts.
  4. Install the 90 degree end in the originally full bolted hinge and then twist the other with the T head until it can fit into the hole in the hinge. It will require some force bit its pretty easy.