Sign in to follow this  
reverendzed

WHOOOA! They're here!

the tyre factory quoted me $250 to lower just the front of my car WOW, who would you guys recommend (front springs were changed for RWC i think ??? so front sits higher than back)

Hey Lurch, Pedders quoted me 170 a pair +240 fitting and 66 for alignment that's about 660 all up....what's your thoughts?

Rev.

whooa theres enough room to build a 4 bedroom house under those guards ! did you get the 245 Falkens in the end ? (for the back) .

Funny , I never realised your car was a 2+2 from the avatar, will look even more sensational when you dump it an inch or two.. 8)

well if its a 2+8 then just replace the rear srut tops only with either a front or an early 260 or 240 strut top, instant 1.25 inch drop with no effect on bump/suspension travel, think of it as a free 1' drop @ no expense of anything else.

If youre not aware the 2+2 rear stru tops are about 2.75" high where the fronts and the earlier models are only about 1.5"

people normally dont know this so i have to bring it up everytime someone wants to lower their car!

Hey Lurch, Pedders quoted me 170 a pair +240 fitting and 66 for alignment that's about 660 all up....what's your thoughts?

Rev.

$170 a pair! :o

Dave, I can get you all FOUR springs for $190!

Borrow/steal/bribe a set of spring compressors (if not, buy a set from Supercrap auto) & I'll help you do it.

You only have to undo the top strut tower nuts & lean the strut out ;)

What about your shocks?

Are you replacing those aswell?

If not, what are you going to do to retain the springs in the struts?

I've found this to be a problem in the past, or is there a trick i am missing out on.

Guys

if you install the "low" King 260 springs the rates are softer than their "standard" springs.

I spoke the guys at King Springs in QLD and their "standard" spring is around 15% stiffer than the original Zed springs. The Low springs are around the same rate as the original but around 2-2.5 inches lower.

If you want a firmer ride then order the Sandard Kings and cut them down, this will give you a much firmer ride and around a 220 lb spring rate (the "Low" springs are only around 180 lb).

Cut the front down until they just sit in the strut spring retainers without falling out when you jack up the front (around 1 1/2 coils off from memory) , then cut the rears to suit......if you are changing strutt hats then you may need to experiment a little with ride height. No spring compressor is required as the strutt tops will just bolt up with minimal spring compression.

The best comnination is to have the fronts around 10% stiffer than the rear .

Remember by dumping the car too low you then induce bump steer (get some 50mm strutt spacers between the lower control arm and the strutts to get the steering arm angles back to where they should be) you also loose suspension travel which equates to huge understeer.

I learnt the hard way years ago by making my Zed way too low which created major handling issues.

BTW I bought my Kings and KYBs from Advantage Suspension in Moorabbin for around $600 for the lot . My old Konis are now back at the factory to seee why they died an early death.

cherrs

Alan

/Thread Hijack.

With all due respect Alan, you've made the comment, IYHO, that everyone should go & buy the top quality tyre, even if it is more expensive, because they are safer, better road holding etc, etc.

Then you make the above comment of, put simply, cutting the springs down.

As I'm sure your aware, cutting springs is blatantly illegal in all states in Aus. And if done badly are a MAJOR safety issue.

(I've unfortunately seen the aftermath of a cut spring going AWOL...  :( )

Just seams your making contradictory comments, Alan... 

Also, in my personal experience with the lowered King Springs in my 2+2, they are .5mm thicker in the coil wire, then the std ones.

My bus was noticeably firmer after I fitted the springs. Perhaps 2 seater's are different?

I found half a second in lap times by dropping my car another inch.  It was already quite a bit lower than standard.  My point being that there are a lot of different factors which play a part in what spring rates and ride height you should run.  I think your car should handle just fine with lowered King Springs Rev.

Thanks Lurch

I did not intend it to sound like I was butchering my way through a set of springs.

Whilst it may be illegal to cut springs down and not preferable (The legalities I will check this with the suspension guys) it is very common practice in most suspension houses and I was actually told to do this by the guys at King springs to get the spring rate I desired...(unless I wanted a special order for big $$$).........the risk of spring failure such as binding or breakage is extremely low ......after all we are not competing in the Paris to Dakar ...(when only removing preload coils (1 -1 1/2 coils). The cutting down was not as simple as getting the angle grinder out and hacking away, there was some science involved which included measuring the coil diameter, free length, compressed length etc and calculating the desired rate.

I discussed this at length with Pedders and Advantage and checked with Kings and not one suggested it was either illegal or dangerous (as long as minimum ride height was maintained)

I was only suggesting an inexpensive solution to improving a Zeds handling on a road car...... I am comfortable cutting springs to get the desired spring rate and ride height.........if others are not than I suggest they take it to a suspension house and let them do the job.......   

My comments on tyres I thought was pretty logical.............a bit like have the best amplifier/CD player etc  pumping out through the cheapest/crappiest speakers ;D

Apologies if I had mislead anyone  ::)

cheers

Alan

I think the proper way of cutting a spring from memory was a way not to put excess heat into the spring material. Oxy torch is a big NO-NO, I too have seen the results done that way. A spring that looks like a banana and car bottomed out! Grinding with lots of pauses and cooling should be ok. I don't really like to cut springs, I would just go the coilover route...

Coil over has lots of advantages. I know they cost a bit but they certainly increase the value of your car and help the car handle better.

a) You can adjust the height of the car any time

b) You can corner weight the car

c) Many different spring rates are available in this form

d) You can fit wider mags or tyres on the car.

Craig

I agree coilovers are certainly the best option for the reasons you poined out......if you have the $$ to spend. I thought I'd suggest an alternative option for those on a tight budget or less inclined to take the major engineering exercise of coil overs . (It is a relatively simple DYI project)

I was retricted to staying with the original strutts and spring configuration with my Group Sc 240z to stay within the rules (standard configuration suspension) and after much experimentation I got the handling just about perfectly balanced to the power and braking.  Hence I employed the same combination on my road Zed......

Alan

Comon Dave/Ben post up the new Pics!!! ;D

O.K so today I got sprung!  ;D  with the help of Lurch! 8)  New lowered King springs on each corner which has allowed the new rims and rubber to snug up nicely to the guards!  the other great thing was that my new bushing kit arrived from the States last week, so we replaced a heap of bushes while we were fitting the springs.  Lurch you're a champ, Ben and I learnt heaps and really appreciated your help.  Here's some pics of the days work.

post-646-14402348486_thumb.jpg

post-646-144023484866_thumb.jpg

post-646-144023484871_thumb.jpg

post-646-144023484877_thumb.jpg

+1 for side on pics ...

Also how much did you lower the car by? ( do you think you could go lower? of course if i get a side on pic i'll probably look like a dork asking that ).

Front is low enough for road use, rear could go down another inch IMHO.

I've got some spare front strut top mounts that I'll be fitting to the rear of my 2+2 this week.

That should give everyone an idea of how much it drops them by.

It will be interesting to see if you maintain the profile of the car if you lower the rear a bit more, the quick fix of strut tops will be an easy way to check it all out I guess.  Lurch is right, the fronts are spot on with the rear probably needing a bit more, I was wondering if you could just fit front springs on the rear to even everything out?

I'll post some side on shots tomorrow. The great thing so far is my new prothane bushes haven't let out a squeak!  Let's hope it stays that way!

Rev.