Sign in to follow this  
reverendzed

WHOOOA! They're here!

Just thought I might get you guys to celebrate with me! My wheels arrived today from the U.S and now I'm busting to get them on.  Any recommendations you guys might have for tyres would be a bonus as this is my first job come Monday morning!  The best thing is I'll have them on for the P.I cruise.

Rev.

post-646-144023483627_thumb.jpg

post-646-144023483632_thumb.jpg

post-646-144023483637_thumb.jpg

Any brand name tyre will be fine Dave.

Just try & get a tyre size that, when fitted, will have the sidewalls running square to the rim.

This will give you the best handling  ;)

pics when you put them on! ( i have a 2+2 so It should look allright on mine ) also I seem to remember that you didnt know what brand they were ... err what brand are they ?

Mike

Thanks moonstonebluz, I'd be keen to know how much they were and where he bought them.  I was looking at some pirelli's but they are a 40 profile which I think is too small.

From memory I was using 205x65 on the front with 225x55 on the rear on my 15x7 superlites years ago. The rolling diameter on the side wall is kept the same front and back and the 225 gives it that little bit more meat on the back.

SUlio

Let me find the pic...

EDIT found em

red-rears.jpg

normal_PhillipIsland.JPG

I was hoping to run 225's on the front (7") and 245's on the rear (8") do you think I might be going too wide on the rear?

Hey Dave what size are the wheels again?

Just be sure to keep correct rolling diameter. Can't remember the stock rolling diameter on the Z's, might have been about 615mm from memory. Anyhow find out what it is and minus the rim height from the rolling diameter and halve that value to give you the tyre wall height you will need. just remember the profile is a percentage of the width, ie a 225 x 50 tyre has a tyre wall height of 112.5mm and 245 x 45 tyre will have a wall height of 110.25mm. So these two tyres would look ok front and back when looking side on ie same rolling diameter to the eye and not too far off the stock height.

hmmm...so just typing as I ponder possible staggered tyre combos!?

15" wheels (15x7 rear & 15x8 rear), 15 inch wheel has a height of 381mm. So 615mm - 381mm = 234mm (divide by 2 for tyre wall height) gives you 117mm. So with a 15 rim you want to try and keep tyre wall height about 117mm.

As above 225 x 50 gives you 112.5mm for front and 245 x 45 gives you 110.25mm for rear. I reckon this should work. Run it by your tyre man as I think I've got it about right.

hmmm...and if they are 16

16" wheels (16x7 rear & 16x8 rear), 16 inch wheel has a height of 406.4mm. So 615mm - 406.4mm = 208.6mm (divide by 2 for tyre wall height) gives you 104.3mm. So with a 16 rim you want to try and keep tyre wall height about 104.3mm.

So 225 x 45 gives you 101.25mm for front and 245 x 40 gives you 98mm for rear. I would think that is also pretty close to stock diameter.

Sulio

It may have been mentioned before, but here is a site that I use often to find out what tyres give what rolling diameter; http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

The original Z diameter was around where Sulio guessed approx 620mm. I think on the second page it has a diameter calculator. Have a play with it.

Nice wheels by the way! See them at the P.I cruise!

That's some great advise guys, thanks for the time you have put in to work it out.  I'll take this info to wherever I end up getting tyres.

Rev.

does anyone make a 235/50  ? (8.5").

anyway best to put a rim on (with no tyre), get a setsquare or straightedge and start measuring  distance from centreline of rim to guard ...less a tad ...then double it ! ;D

I bought some no-name "Firenzas" 205/50/16 for the missus car , they have a great pattern (sorta similar to Pirelli) and cost me around $135ea from Jax Tyres.

great rims....you look like a proud father.

Love the rims, should suit your car perfectly.

I always use Silverstones on my road cars.  They're a great tyre for the price and are nice and stiff in the sidewalls.  Only problem is that they are absolutly useless in the wet once the tread gets down.

I use wanli or sumitomo.

wanli cheap malaysian tyre almost last forever ,looks good ,grip well in wet not that good in dry with powerfull engine.

Sumitomo Japanese tyre grips very well not bad on price fairly cheap for japanese tyres and they not bad on the wear too. fitted to pulsar done 20k and very minimal wear on them. though they dont look that crash hot. than again its a pulsar LOL. but i was amazed with the grip and wear. prob is not many tyre places can get them.

Hey Guys....well I did some investigating today and 245/45/16 are hard to find....especially on a budget!  I had a real helpful guy in Berwick (who's been in the tyre business for 30 years! I guess he's tire..d!) who encourgaed me to go for the 225/55 in a Falken brand, he trial fitted one and the walls of the tyre on the 8" rim was nice and straight.  I was hoping to get as wide as possible however he reckons the gain of a 245 on an 8" rim was maybe an inch or so...Unless someone thinks I'm really missing some info here, I'll go ahead and get them fitted tomorrow.   PICS WILL FOLLOW!

Guys

on the subject of tyres, why do many people skimp on the only things that keep you stuck to the road  ??? No amount of big brakes or trick suspension will compensate for crap tyres

Everyone seems to spend plenty on big HP engines , big brakes and suspension (and great wheels) and then buy a tyre that "looks good" and "lasts a long time" and is cheap ???

(I have heard the "I don't drive it that much so I don't need good tyres" a thousand times an the first thing I look at at a driver training day, when playing instructor.....is the tyres on the car....most guys go for the rediculously big wheels fitted with the Chinese brand mega low profile tyres that are just rubbish) 

If your Zed is not a daily driver and you do less than 10,000 km per year then go for a track tyre like the Yokahama 048R, or Dunlop D01R........these will transform the performance/grip the car has and last years if you only drive on weekends. They are street legal with 5mm tread depth and the wet performance will always out grip a normal road tyre in the wet (as longs as your not into burnouts and donuts etc).

If your car is a daily driver then go with a Yoko C drive sport or any of the major brand soft compound sport tyres with a Traction indicator of AA (AA being the best then A, B, C etc)

See explanation of tyre tech stuff here

http://www.toyo.com.au/tech_info4.html

See various street legal R spec tyres here

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_0593/article.html

My 2 cents anyway

cheers

Alan

Ive heard alot of good things about the Toyo's. As soon as my Dunlops wear away, I'm going to try them out for myself! Apparently they dont go off as quickly as the Yokohama's and Dunlops.... Alan has a good point about cheap tires. The reason some cheap tires last so long is because they are more plastic than rubber! You DONT want a tire that lasts for ages, coz the thing is so damn hard with no traction!

arrr in defence of the Falkens, I had falkens on my Commodore (daily driver at the time) 225/50/16 front and 245/45/16 rear, and I found they where an excellent all-rounder, they had a great pattern for the wet. (fairly similar pattern to the goodyear eagles).

I chose these firstly because they where an all-rounder, & secondly they where "mid" range priced.

I would have loved Yoko's, but the budget would have almost doubled.

Hi Guys, well they're on! and they're awesome, not only am I happy with the look but it feels like I've got way better handling, can't wait to give it a good run on the P.I cruise.  Next week it goes in to have lowered king springs fitted which will help fill her out a bit more.

Rev.

post-646-14402348404_thumb.jpg

post-646-144023484047_thumb.jpg

post-646-14402348405_thumb.jpg

Good idea bringing it down further to mother earth.. Going to change the look again! Well done!

Make sure your not paying any more than $200 for the lowered Kings springs, Dave.

If there more, your being ripped.