Japanese Nostalgic Car magazine - coming this month!

Hey all.

As anyone on my facebook knows, I've been working hard for the past few months on the design for the first issue of the upcoming US publication, Japanese Nostalgic Car.  It's the first US (or possibly anywhere in the west?) magazine to focus 100% on classic Japanese cars. 

Here's a bit of a preview of what's to come.  It's an 83 page magazine, professionally printed, perfect bound, and on good solid stock with card covers front and back (not unlike Freestyle magazine's covers).  I'd tell you exactly what weight the card and paper is, but it's measured in some stupid US scale rather than in gsm, haha.  Sorry!  Suffice to say, it's all damn nice.

I hope those of you interested in classic JDM will consider buying a copy from http://japanesenostalgiccar.com!  Unfortunately it's not being distributed through stores here in Aus - that kind of thing is damn hard and expensive to line up.

You may also recognise a certain red Z in a couple of shots ;)

jnc-preview_007.jpg

jnc-preview_005.jpg

jnc-preview_001.jpg

jnc-preview_002.jpg

jnc-preview_003.jpg

jnc-preview_004.jpg

jnc-preview_006.jpg

jnc-preview_010.jpg

jnc-preview_009.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, depends on perspective I guess.  The big magazines owned by the big companies can be sold for less, because they've got a lot more leverage in the industry, and their magazines are loaded to the top with advertising.  Ours has advertising, but about a 10th as much as most other magazines.  You know how you open a mag, and the first 8 pages are ads?  Not here man!

• Administrators

Hey Van,

I didn't even notice this thread and its on my own website (oops). I did spot it on Grandjdm.com though and I posted a comment, but just in case, I thought I'd re-voice it here.

Is there anyway I can get involved with this? I really love my old skool jdm cars. As you may or may not know I'm in Europe at the moment and would be happy to travel and find cars to cover over here :).

I'm hoping to meet up with Alan Thomas at some stage and do a write up on his lovely cars for this site.

Magazine looks great, I'll have to subscribe also.

Hey guys, thanks for the great feedback!  I think you're all going to be really pleased with what you get.  Ben, Dan, Mike, and Kev are all great writers and I'm eager to get my copy.  I've been trying not to read the articles as I work (well, I read as much as I need to) because I want to try to get the same experience from it that our readers will get.  So I'm looking forward to it as much as anyone!

Gav: Mate, that would be awesome.  All I can suggest is that you shoot an email to the guys - jump on their website to get the address - and let them know that I told you to email them.  The fact that you're in Europe is pretty handy I would think, so that might be a boon too.  I'd love to see a feature on Mull's Z, even though it's not finished haha.  Call it "The Story So Far..." haha.

• Administrators

Gav: Mate, that would be awesome.  All I can suggest is that you shoot an email to the guys - jump on their website to get the address - and let them know that I told you to email them.  The fact that you're in Europe is pretty handy I would think, so that might be a boon too.  I'd love to see a feature on Mull's Z, even though it's not finished haha.  Call it "The Story So Far..." haha.

Sounds good. I'll definately sign up shortly (at working atm). When I was in Copenhagen with my sister and girlfriend we were contemplating getting a train to Sweden as it was only 30mins or something, but I hadn't contacted Mull to let him know I'd be there or organised anything and I didn't know where he was in Sweden exactly.

My sister plans on heading back that way July / August and I wouldn't mind as I loved Denmark and I'm sure Sweden would be cool too.

I also have to ask about subscription for Ireland. I'm a bit confused by pricing as it has International (Excluding Australia / New Zealand) and Australia / New Zealand have a higher price. So will need to find about subscription cost before I can sign up :).

Thanks for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share this bit of feedback from one of our readers.  The magazine shipped in the past week or so, so everyone's mags should arrive in the next few weeks we hope!

Got mine and love it. A rotary 510...cool! Haven't finished it yet, I know, I know. More useful comments later. I'm taking care of it, since it will be a collectors item someday. Wish it was monthly, someday, I know. Great job. Love the glossy pages. Well worth it. The content, the look is perfect.

• Administrators

Still waiting on mine to arrive. Can't wait though, I'm going through Japanese Classic Car withdrawal here in Ireland. There's nothing, no buzz of a rotary, no old skool Datsun's, not old Corolla's nothing I tell's ya!

Worst of all no Zeds. I've seen a total of 1 brown 240z in average condition.

Hahah, that reminds me of when we used to tape footy games for my uncle in the US and mail them to him once a month. 

Well, a friend received his copy of JNC today.  As soon as he called me while I was on my way home from work, I took the next right and headed directly to his house.  After all, I haven't got my own copy yet!

So I've now got his copy sitting in front of me, haha.  Good guy that he is, he let me borrow it overnight. 

I have to say, I'm pretty damn happy with it.  All the little errors and cockups that I'd been worrying about for the last few weeks are a lot less noticeable in print.  Very stoked, whatever the case may be.  I was hoping the cover stock was going to be heavier/thicker, but that's okay.  Can't win 'em all!  Expenses are expenses, after all.

I think those of you who've ordered a copy are going to be very pleased!