Datsun Racing Team Book

Gordon Dobie

Some time ago there was a discussion about the whereabouts of Gordon Dobie and it was suggested that "This Gordon Dobie guy should write a book". 

I have enough material to write several books but as publishing is such an expensive exercise I am interested to know whether there is sufficient interest to make it worthwhile. 

Gordon Dobie

post-101769-0-48604800-1484610067_thumb.jpg

post-101769-0-82179700-1484610143_thumb.jpg

Gordon, I suggest you look into publishing it as an internet 'E-Book'.

You could still charge an amount for it, but you would not have the same costings associated with publishing a print version.

Another suggestion would be to publish an e-book in large chapters - lesser cost for the purchaser up front, you can write sections / chapters & release them at your own pace.

Edited by Lurch ™

Good suggestion Lurch. I'll look into it. I have had some feedback from people who want a copy to add to their collection of motoring books so I would like produce  hard copies. It's just a matter of finding out whether the demand is likely to be, 100 or 1000??? i would like to keep the cost down to 25 or 30 dollars.

Edited by Gordon Dobie

• Administrators

I think an E-book is a great way to do it at a low cost. Perhaps a coffee table book would be a hard copy that had photos and images from the period and less so the text?

So they would supplement each other? I know I'd be very interested in racing photos from the period.

• 4 months later...

Thank you for the interest in my book "Racing For Fun". I am genuinely surprised at the enthusiasm shown. As you know the idea of writing a book came from this forum.

I have received quite bit of feedback. The era covered in the book has been little written about from the participants perspective and I think this must be the reason for it's popularity.

Due to the cost of publication there was a limit to the number I could have printed but there are still some remaining and if the demand warrants it I may order a reprint.

Thanks once again

Gordon Dobie

datcar54@hotmail.com

post-101769-0-29754200-1496199156_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gordon Dobie

The book would be an interesting read I also remember a Datsun 2000 sports being raced by a guy called peter beaseley( I think? )  it was dark green back in the day, can't remember whether he was successful racer or not, he was as I remember a keen mg man also.

The book would be an interesting read I also remember a Datsun 2000 sports being raced by a guy called peter beaseley( I think? )  it was dark green back in the day, can't remember whether he was successful racer or not, he was as I remember a keen mg man also.

Peter lives 15mins down the road from me - I seem him at car club events regularly enough.

I don't remember him ever running a Sports 2000 (I stand to be corrected), but he sill has his original Sprite/Midget that he raced in Grp D.

He also built quite a few Minda clubmans as well...