Challenge Bathurst 2017

24 Dat

Challenge Bathurst is getting close now 8) , and all of us going are getting very excited. 

If anyone if planing coming out accommodation will be hard to find as there is also a big truck show in town on the weekend of the 18th and 19th. Camping is available at the track  http://www.challengebathurst.com/event-info/campgroundthe shower and toilet facilities are very good and with the low numbers of people staying out at the track there is no line up to use them.

The ZCCQ will have "Club Z Bathurst" a few gazebos put together and the club bbq already to go. If you are coming to the event please come over and say hello in the afternoon after competition is finished, please bring a chair, as we all sit around and discuses all things Z over a couple of drinks  :) .

The attachment is the area that we have for our volunteers and competitors, in the Officials/Volunteers Camping area and shows you where Club Z Bathurst is.

It will be a fantasitic weekend and cars are on the track from the Thursday morning doing the Super Sprints, i will add the program times for Group E on the Saturday and Sunday when i get it.

post-101839-0-25416300-1508629978_thumb.jpg

Edited by 24 Dat

• 2 weeks later...

The current Schedule of Group Z (officially Group E)  running i. (and will only change to do unforeseen delays).

Saturday and Sunday

There is a live video feed from the Castrol Control tower at the top of the mountain and the live tracking map (which was apparently pretty cool to watch last year) will also be able to be seen from the CB website. http://www.challengebathurst.com/ 

There is also a cool bit of video of last years Z group lined up on the concrete apron on Pit lane on the Cb fb page https://www.facebook.com/ChallengeBathurst/you just have to scroll down to find it.  The plan is to do it again this year  8)

Getting close now 

• 2 weeks later...

Big wake up call for me, if you want to go to Bathurst then  make sure you get plenty of prior track time and then decide if you are up to it.

Anyway, went out on Saturday on a damp track with new semis, a bit too much throttle out of turn one and ended up scraping the outside wall. Nothing too serious except the front spoiler and undertray. The spoiler was patched but the undertray ended up with a big hole in it, at high speed the air was coming through it making the bonnet flap and the car wobble from side to side. So basically I was a mobile chicane, should have some good video of getting passed lol. Made a point of not lifting off through the Kink though :)

So, to be a proper race car the 280ZX needs some work, get that throttle sensitivity sorted for a start. Then I need some work, participate, participate, participate.

Nope, I only got home late last night so its still sitting on the trailer in the driveway.

The thermostat stuck shut in the lunchtime session on Sunday (engine overheated but radiator was stone cold), then in the last session it blew a great chunk of the rocker gasket out, followed by all the oil from where the gasket was blown as well as out via the catch can......

I'm thinking I've done a head gasket or damaged something internally that allowed the crankcase to become pressurized which then caused the gasket to blow / oil to escape.

Might be a good excuse to finally build a more powerful engine for next year !

Couple of my laps from the last session. A touch slower than last year because (insert excuse here) but none the less a great weekend once the rain stopped.

Already planning next years assault, will likely be a sell out so if you’re keen best get in early.

Edited by RLY240