Water Inlet At Rear Of Head.

Bobby

The car I bought does not have a working heater and the previous owner had a hose running from the inlet that is just above the alternator to the fitting just below No6 spark plug.

My question ---- is this hose necessary or can I fit a plug in the head and a cap where the 3/4" hose comes off the inlet just above the alternator.

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback.

My car has triple Webers and no heater so the sketch provided by Skipz doesn't really answer my situation.

I have seen pictures of some cars with the heater valve half way along the hose I wish to remove so with these I would assume that if the heater was not on there would be no flow into that fitting on the back of the head.

I was hoping someone has removed this hose on their car and can confirm it will not cause any damage.

Thanks again to all who take the time to try and help an old fart.

• Moderators

Hi

I would be reluctant to remove it.

Anything that helps improve water circulation to rear of the motor is a good thing. Lack of cooling at the back of the motor is common cause of head gasket issues. This is even more so in older engines where the water jackets may be somewhat restricted with a buildup of scale.

Cheers

PB

• 2 weeks later...

The 280zx has a bypass "T" fitting. When the heater is on the water flows through the heater core. When the heater is off the water pressure in the line pushes against a spring valve which opens and allows the water to circulate through the line. I have fitted this to my 260z. If I can find a picture I will post it.

David

Thanks to all those people who tried to help.

Today I rang Stewart Wilkins and he said yes it is okay to fit a plug at the rear of the head and delete the hose.

As I had said I thought and also "old retired Z fart" thought if the heater was not turned on there would be no flow into that fitting on the rear of the head.

So Stewart has confirmed what we thought.

I have noticed that ZCAR Depot in America sell a cap to plug off the 3/4" outlet on the cold water inlet into the engine.

I just use rubber block off caps from Repco. I have a bag of various sizes and clamps in the glove box should any of them fail. In the old days I just used a piece of wood and made it fit with the old roo skinning knife and shoved it up the hose and did the clamp up. Bit rough but it worked. 8) You can also get tapered plugs from Repco to block holes in the block, just be careful doing them up because the further you go the tighter they get.

Edited by peter t

Hey Peter.

Be careful with the rubber block off caps. They do not have reinforcing like normal heater/radiator hose. I have seen the end rubber piece split and blow out. I reckon your wooden bung whilst a little agricultural is a better option.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Peter.

Be careful with the rubber block off caps. They do not have reinforcing like normal heater/radiator hose. I have seen the end rubber piece split and blow out. I reckon your wooden bung whilst a little agricultural is a better option.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Mick

Yep Mick thats why I keep some spares in the glove box.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just discovered that US eBay actually lists plugs for this purpose

I searched for "240Z Heater Core Hose Caps"

They are priced at US$9 - US$10 with the usual exorbitant postal charges (US$11 - US$19) but I assume that they are up to the job.

e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Nissan-5-8-3-4-Water-Pump-Heater-Core-Rubber-Hose-Caps-Blockoff-Plugs-nos-/271387047866?fits=Model%3A240Z&hash=item3f2fedb7ba:g:0OQAAOxyOlhS2EXp&vxp=mtr

s-l64.jpg

Thanks GongZ,

I have bought and fitted a rubber cap like you are referring to to the 3/4" outlet on the cold water return nozzle and also a 1/2" BSP brass plug in the rear of the head. So that was another job out of the way.

You know I bought this car at the end of May and it was driven into my shed(under its own power) and hasn't moved since. And all I have been doing is tidying up the engine bay.

And I am retired so I don't know how you would restore one if you worked. Ah well I am getting close to starting it again.