Sold - Vic 1971 240Z For Sale Hs30-01427

Melkor

SOLD

Model: 240Z
Location: North East Regional Victoria - 4 -5 hours north of Melbourne

Price and Payment Conditions: Cash or Bank Cheque
Item Condition: in need of full restoration
Body: body has rust, floor pans need replacing, boot sill needs replacing
Mechanical: very close to running, but definitely not driveable.  Will turn over and run for a few seconds on aerostart.
Engineers Certificate: na

RWC: no
Contact Details: text message only please on 0408 551 307 or email to melkor@brooksweb.id.au

Price: $8,000

If you want to know why i am seeing thins car read this thread.

4FCD8973-2A00-4821-B899-533DB20D0BD8_zps

6FED9C14-034A-42D7-B54C-B8391C501DD6_zps

IMG_1527_zps4mqf5i6o.jpg

IMG_1526_zpsfrmq1oaz.jpg

IMG_1525_zpsuw3qvvhy.jpg

IMG_1524_zpsaodx5zok.jpg

IMG_1520_zps3euy12ar.jpg

more images in my photobucket

Edited by Melkor

Will it come with a roadworthy?

it can do, but the roadworthy will be for a different car that expired several years ago...

I think that was a friendly way of saying you're ambitious..... but good luck with the sale 

Edited by luvemfast

I am sorry but you are selling a title of a car not a car, to revive a car in this state to mint  would cost north of $80000, that is very generous probably 100k. I would recommend you part it out and save some poor bugger the financial misery that it will bring. If it were a rare number or a special then it may warrant an $8k price tag but not this one.   

No mate when you put up on this site then it is open for all comment, thats how it works, we all get informed in such a way.  I Would hate to see someone with no experience try an take on such a Titanic re-float and get burnt.

no ID plate.

i do not think that it is an ex rally or race car, i've had the car for the last 10 years, and before that it was owned by a mate who just had it sitting in his backyard, and before that it was his dads.

certainly no log books, nor homologation papers, or cams approved roll cage.

i do have some rally tyres on Holden commodore rims i'll throw in for free if you buy it dat2kman.

I am sorry but you are selling a title of a car not a car, to revive a car in this state to mint  would cost north of $80000, that is very generous probably 100k. I would recommend you part it out and save some poor bugger the financial misery that it will bring. If it were a rare number or a special then it may warrant an $8k price tag but not this one.   

Depends on how you tackle the restoration though doesn't it ?

I'd have the body fully restored and looking immaculate for under $5K.

Obviously not including a large amount of my time.....

Good luck with the sale, not sure how much you will get, but you have a starting price fro negotiations. Someone will buy it.

As others have said, a checque book restoration will be expensive, I wouldn't be surprised at something around $80-$100k and not feeasible at that price for the return on investment. But the final price depends on final spec for the build.

But I feel the person looking for a car for that type of restoration is not the buyer of this car.

The buyer for this car will be someone like Dave, with the skills, or wanting to learn the skills to do this project over time and get the enjoyment from the work. There are plenty of people like that out there, so I doubt very much you will have the car for a long time.

• Administrators

Everyone is of course entitled to an opinion and I'm actually the person who suggested $8k as a figure to start from. I still think that's what the market will pay for a car needing restoration.

What is a Mazda R100 coupe in similar condition worth these days?

In my opinion the best way to restore this car would be to import a LHD shell from the US that is relatively rust free and use it as a body donor to fix this car. It's a relatively early car and as we know very few were made in HRD for export markets.

If the 2,500 figure of imported 240z's here in the 70's is to be believed, assuming a 10-20% survival rate. That's around 400-500 odd cars left. Factor in a few being sent back to Japan in the 90s, a few that have made their way to the UK and many that are now lost to rust, racing, cut n' shut etc..

I actually think the remaining survival figure is probably closer to 10-15% myself.

There is enough demand out there for someone to consider restoring this car. Just give it a couple of weeks.

How about George's car? This thing is mint in comparison to how that thing was. The simple fact is that most people want projects and a low price entry point. With the crazy value increase, average cars go for comparatively silly money now.

If the good cars have gone up by a factor of 3 why shouldn't the projects? It wasn't that long ago when the $60k zeds were $20k.

Also, the guy couldn't be any more upfront and even linked in the thread with everyone's opinions on the car. I wouldn't have done that lol.

My biggest concern is you mention no ID plates.... What form of identification do you have for this car proving its VIN and Engine number? I can see it has been registered before judging by the sticker on the windscreen :P

Im assuming the VIN number is stamped on it? Do you have any old rego papers or anything showing the same VIN number and providing the engine number and other details about the car (the year etc etc)?

Yep 8k sounds about right.... With room to move/ negotiate. people will pay it if they are handy with a welder... Like any restoration really If you can't handle a mouthful don't take a bite haha i dont think it's our call to put poo on the bloke....

• Administrators

My biggest concern is you mention no ID plates.... What form of identification do you have for this car proving its VIN and Engine number? I can see it has been registered before judging by the sticker on the windscreen :P

Im assuming the VIN number is stamped on it? Do you have any old rego papers or anything showing the same VIN number and providing the engine number and other details about the car (the year etc etc)?

Vehicle ID plates can be reproduced via Revive Jalopy in Japan to original look and feel. The VIN is still engraved on the firewall. The engine number on the block. If there is concern about it being numbers matching we can cross reference the no. and compare to other cars built around the same period. It should line up and be relatively easy to cross-reference.

Of course it's just a number at the end of the day.