Where To Mount Fire Extinguisher?

PeterAllen

I'm thinking on installing 2lb+ extinguisher on the floor in front of the passenger seat. My only concern is if the seat ever needs to slide forward. I could do a temporary install to see what access and egress issues arise, if any.

It would also be easy to mount on top of the transmission tunnel (I have no console) and, again, I could do that as a temporary measure.

I figure any poor connections, etc, created during the build will identify themselves on the first long run - trying to make 'Speed off the Street' at Wakefield Park on 21st. If nothing has caught fire in the first six months I could do a permanent install. Any thoughts?

Hi Peter,  

Mine is located behind my passenger seat. sorry having trouble uploading a picture, will try again tomorrow.

On my recently acquired 260z it is mounted as shown in the picture below - not sure if I will leave it there however it should be easily reached by the driver if required.

post-105219-0-33940900-1473591850_thumb.jpg

After recently having the pleasure of experiencing an engine bay fire at Eastern Creek, I would say to mount it where you can easily reach it while strapped into the driver's seat. If you are using normal seatbelts, under the front of passenger's seat might be acceptable. If you run harnesses, on the transmission tunnel is a better idea.

I would also recommend a test run of exiting your car in full safety gear - I discovered that I could not get out of the car with helmet and HANS on. It was not the best time to find this out, sitting fumbling around to get the HANS off while smoke and fire pours out from under the bonnet........

Thanks for the suggestions.

It's only a road car but I doubt the competencies of the guy who built it, including installation of the fuel lines and fittings. I think I'll have it here, nice and close, for 6-12 months and then possibly move it to behind the passenger seat (a la Scotty) as the risk diminished (hopefully).

post-100401-0-85018000-1473986557_thumb.jpg

I wonder if someone can remove a screw and check the thread on these three captive nuts securing the console (I think)?

I have 5 x 0.8 and 5 x 0.9 taps but neither seems to be the correct pitch. The interior was sprayed with 2 pak and there is some paint on the thread but I don't want to run the wrong tap through. Thanks.

post-100401-0-65816200-1474015879_thumb.jpg

Peter. Spot on.

I figured I didn't have too much to lose taping under size but that paint was tough and really made a big difference on such a small thread.

'RetroZ' I think you may have been sizing the four nuts holding the handbrake cantilever bracket under the tunnel which look 6mm.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. 

Have you thought about going for a larger bottle Peter? The Fibreglass will be very difficult to extinguish if it does catch fire and the 1.2kg bottles run out fast.

What about a 4kg bottle (approx size of a mini keg) up the front of the passenger footwell with plumbing into the engine bay/cabin. A foot rest infront to protect it and remote pull cord mounted on the trans tunnel. From what I've seen they're not cheap @ $500 but in the scheme of things it's not much considering all the work you have invested.

Gareth, you're correct, and I don't really think $500 is too expensive for what you get.

The bottle I have is a 3.2kg, It was, I thought, just about as big as I could go without installing an on-board system. As is, I'm a little apprehensive about the strength of the mounting, both to the car and the bottle to its frame, considering its weight. 

If I was back about one or two years with the project I probably would have gone with 'on-board' but like so many other things I 'shoulda done' I just didn't think of it at the time. I'm struggling for motivation as is and if I was to focus on anything other than registration I'm sure I'd soon be a basket case.

Thanks for the suggestion.

post-100401-0-82031500-1474262581_thumb.jpg

Edited by PeterAllen