Hi all,

Just thought I'd introduce myself.

I've recently bought myself a 260z 2+2 to fix up and get back on the road.

I have many long term plans for the car but at the moment I'm just focusing on getting it rego'd.

Its a 76 in very original condition I bought from a bloke in central QLD. The car has very minimal rust (for a Datsun) so that has made my life a lot easier.

Please excuse me in advance for asking seemingly mundane questions - this is my first resto.

Attached is a pic of the car :)

I'm not far off getting it running at the moment, just need to source a dizzy (a bit harder than I'd like to find one).

post-105194-0-31684200-1469072753_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Matt

Speak to Les Collins in Melbourne, there is an aftermarket electronic unit they use and recommend which is probably the best way to go.

Welcome,

Nice car, would great to see some photo's.

Re the distrubutor, I agree with Decoy - for a standard engine I wouldn't bother with the expense of an elec dizzy.

Just grab a standard points one and away you go.

Not sure where you find one in Brisbane but in Sydney try calling

- Stewart Wilkins Motorsport

- Allzparts (can be hard to get a hold of)

Don't be afraid to ask questions, just try searching for an answer first ;) .

Cheers

PB

Edited by PB260Z

Re the distrubutor, I agree with Decoy - for a standard engine I wouldn't bother with the expense of an elec dizzy.

Just grab a standard points one and away you go.

I would like to clarify by the fact i meant a Scorcher dizzy is probably overkill. All my cars have had one form of electronic ignition or another as its MILES better than running points. But you can simply install a CDI box on the points distributor or run a Pertronix setup etc. FWIW the Z distributor has a better ignition curve to my knowledge, so using it to trigger an electronic ignition is better than a later Nissan electronic distributor in my opinion.

The Crane HI-6 is a really cheap way to do this at around $200 second hand, but just be careful as it can mess up your tacho.

Just some update pics from the other night.

I had no wife or baby at home a project car in the shed and my super helpful mechanic assisting me.

post-105194-0-19582100-1469672996_thumb.jpg

post-105194-0-94290600-1469672997_thumb.jpg

Man's best friend, except mine steals all my tools when I'm working on them. Like random screwdrivers go missing and then I find him munching on it in the garden. Likes those rubber and plastic handles.

But they are good company all the same, especially when you're in the garage on your own.

hey mate, welcome to the site :)
i went with a 280zx distributor and if you're a bit handy, it's not hard to get it in.

Good to get them going mate. Prob best to get rid of those flat tops and install some good carbs, or like me fit a Holly. What part of Brisie you in. I am at Loganholme.

Agreed - would definitely like to upgrade them at some stage.

I'll just add it to the list haha.

I'm out at Morayfield.

Agreed - would definitely like to upgrade them at some stage.

I'll just add it to the list haha.

I'm out at Morayfield.

Your about as far north as I am south. I have a set of JAG 2" SU and manifold with K&N filters for $900 if you want to add them to the list. Trust me that list never ends. Ha Ha.

So just a little bit of an update on the car...

Engine and gearbox, and interior have been removed. Engine bay cleared out of all paraphernalia.

Have the car booked in for a media (glass bead) blast at the end of the month, followed up with a primer being laid on the next day.

Plans at this stage are to sort out the rust over the next few months and get the manual conversion completed.

Will throw up some pics when i get a chance.