240Z Or 260Z 2 Seater

zedfan86

where are all these dreamers coming from recently??? its like a z has been used in a blockbuster movie and now everyone wants one at corolla prices.....Mate if you can get a roadworthy 240 or 260 2 seater for 15 grand ill eat my steering wheel.........where have you been doing your research and how long for..........? the only roadworthy 45 year old classic you could get for 15 grand is a mini... and even thats a stretch...you'd be flatout finding a hq kingswood for 15 grand...im with you decoy im starting to hate these posts...... #oldmanrant

These add where only on gumtree and 1 stage but they seem to pop up more here now! Add another 10-15k mate and you might be close. You might get a 2+2 for that price but even then it might still have work needed.

Edited by blu260z

• Administrators

I find it hard to believe that people are so off put by LHD S30Z's?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/240z-260z-280z-Datsun-Nissan-SWB-2-Seater-Classic-Japanese-Sports-Car-2-8L-/252465618725

For $15k you can't go wrong really...provided minimal rust in the chassis.

I find it hard to believe that people are so off put by LHD S30Z's?http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/240z-260z-280z-Datsun-Nissan-SWB-2-Seater-Classic-Japanese-Sports-Car-2-8L-/252465618725For $15k you can't go wrong really...provided minimal rust in the chassis.

+1 for importing a left hand drive one. I think its the smartest choice for finding minimal rust and bang for buck as far a clean starting point. Also the money or time you would spend fixing a rusted out one you could spend converting it to RHD and still probably save alot of money. Good luck with the find.

I reserve the right to rant gav haha....... there is always going to be people that like a cars appearance but have no clue on current prices/history/demand...i just don't get why they come to a forum where people will know their stuff and expect to pick up a bargain....we all know what they are worth.....Start looking at the for sale adds to see what they are going for...seems like basic research on any market for any item before posting a wanted add with an unrealistic price...... you'll find a 260 2+2 that will most probably be on the verge of unroadworthy for 15....but you could get lucky....there is one on carsales now for 16 that has undergone a respray and looks tidy however roadworthy isn't mentioned.....i think I could get 25 in a few days for mine and im pretty sure wouldn't be roathworthy as there are a few things that need to be sorted to pass.....

Edited by 74zzz

• Administrators

I can somewhat understand the frustration, it used to be a once a month event to see a wanted ad. But now it's a weekly or even daily occurrence. Perhaps a wanted ad "Frequently Asked Questions" sticky post would help set some boundaries and give some tips / advice for would be S30Z owners?

We have to remember at some point we were all looking for an S30Z or S130Z or Z31 (weird folks that lot ;)) and didn't have a good feel for the market. Also keep in mind that whilst there is a lot of spammy wanted ads on Gumtree, many folks who have posted wanted ads here have found their cars because other members would rather sell to someone interested, than put an ad out there and deal with all the time vampires etc..

So it works both ways, I think these posts would be a lot more useful if we knew who was asking to buy an S30Z. I know if I was to sell any of mine I'd want them to go to a home where they would be looked after and kept relatively original. Not bogged, flogged, flared and cheap plastic fender mirrored for the latest hipster look... So it helps to know more about the person buying it and how much of an enthusiast they are vs some blow in just going through the latest car faze..

I can concur with d3C0y's frustration. It was only a few weeks ago when someone with (IIRC) a 2K budget posted a wanted ad for a Zed project, but also said he didn't have the extra coin for a towie to collect it or something along those lines, so how he ever thought he could afford to restore a car to any on-the-road condition heaven only knows.

I've twice spent 36-40K restoring a Mustang, between one & two decades ago, & that's doing most work myself with my own time worth zero. And it's much easier & somewhat cheaper obtaining Mustang parts than for our S30s. Today's costs? Probably add 50% to those figures today at a very rough guess.

So the restoration cost numbers that forum members quote to try & help & forewarn these hopefuls are very realistic, so these hopefuls should take notice. I think the regular forum members on here are extraordinarily patient.

• Administrators

But the market has moved a lot in 2-3 years, when I bought #150 on eBay I was willing to go to $10K AUD+, after talking to Ledge who said "mate if you want an early 240z, be prepared to spend $10K".

That was end of 2013 if I recall correctly, it ended up selling shy of $6k + towing etc..

The car in primer on Gumtree is nearly double that and hard to even determine what's missing based on the photos and yet it sold within 24 hours. Which just goes to show how fast the market has moved.

A big part of my job is dealing with demanding clients, so I guess patience is something I have in spades. I have to otherwise I'd have been fired long ago :P.

Restoring old cars takes patience, restoring old cars that have become classics takes bucket loads of patience. Do your homework on current prices, wait for for the right one that suits you and act fast with a money deposit to lock in the deal.

To the OP:

I was in your position very recently. I told myself 30k was the market point on a registered driving clean 240z. I'd stretch for the right car.

The car that I ended up with wasn't advertised, was registered and I drove it back to Hobart. If you really want one, double your budget and you will find something good - but far from great (double that again for this).

Hope that helps.