Recommended Gearbox Oils

Enzo

Hi Guys,

What gearbox oils are being used for 5 speed gearboxes. The manual I have recommends a GL-4 rating as the GL-5 will eat syncros. ( GL-4 for the gearbox / GL-5 for the diff.) 

But I was looking at Penrite oils and they recommend a GL-5 oil. Redline recommend GL-4 ( MT-90 ).

So. The question is: What are you guys using and are you having any problems.

David.

Fuchs TITAN Supergear 75W-90
Shifts fine when cold.

LCR use it on all their rebuilt gearbox's.

I (personally) wouldn't recommend Redline Light Shockproof oil.

Remember: no matter how good the oil is, it's not going to fix a gearbox with worn bearings & syncro/bulk rings.

Edited by Lurch ™

Hi Lurch, Thanks for the reply. I have just reassembled the gearbox and will be fitting it this weekend. I grabbed some Penrite gearoil from supercheap using the computerised selection device and it recommended 80w-90 mineral gear oil. When I got home I had a look through the manual and it recommended a GL-4 oil. The penrite was GL5-GL6. From what I have read, the GL5 or higher will eat out the syncros on older gearboxes over time. GL4 was the recommended oil for Datsun boxes. So I thought that I would throw it out to see what people were using. I was hoping that you were browsing.

Thanks for the advice.

David.

I've heard that reasoning too, but I'm not sure I buy it...
There's been an interesting discussion on Ozdat forum about gearbox oils recently:
http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=34169

This was interesting - I had not read it before: http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

Is yours a steel bulk ring or brass syncro gearbox, David?

Edited by Lurch ™

Hi Lurch, Brass syncros. That's why I was hesitant about GL5 rated oil.

I noticed on the bottom of the article the statement about Nissan. As Quoted:

Warning:

If Nissan service manual asks for API GL-4 rated oil than you have to use API GL-4  oil. GL-5 oil is not made to replace GL-4. DO NOT USE GL-5, it will destroy your transmission.

Edited by Enzo

Phone Penrite, a good Aussie company that makes a damm good product. I think that you may find that their current GL-5 has been formulated not to damage brass or anything else.

Edited by 260DET

Use Redline Lightweight Shockproof.

It hangs, it sticks, it stays where it needs to stay, and it is fine on the synchros.

Do not use diff oils, or diff oils with friction modifiers.

If you want the best gear oil, NEO is an ester base mineral compound, used in proper race cars, including Formula 1, World Rally Championship, and many other circuit race categories.. Totally over the top, unless you are subjecting the gearbox to extremes.

Use Redline Lightweight Shockproof.

It hangs, it sticks, it stays where it needs to stay, and it is fine on the synchros.

Do not use diff oils, or diff oils with friction modifiers.

If you want the best gear oil, NEO is an ester base mineral compound, used in proper race cars, including Formula 1, World Rally Championship, and many other circuit race categories.. Totally over the top, unless you are subjecting the gearbox to extremes.

I thought NEO was 100% synthetic diester base?

you might have trouble getting anything NEO at the moment as the Australian importer has decided to pull the plug but possibly in talks with Rocket industries about taking over. My mechanic use NEO and hasn't had it for a year (gone back to ELF engine oil)

"Phone Penrite, a good Aussie company that makes a damm good product. I think that you may find that their current GL-5 has been formulated not to damage brass or anything else" From Richard.

Hi Richard, You are right.  I got on to the Penrite chat line and the guy says the new 80W-90 mineral gearoil (GL-5/GL-6 ) is formulated to be gentle on yellow metals.

David.

I've heard that reasoning too, but I'm not sure I buy it...

There's been an interesting discussion on Ozdat forum about gearbox oils recently:

http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=34169

This was interesting - I had not read it before: http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

Is yours a steel bulk ring or brass syncro gearbox, David?

so glad i read this. I had a bottle of Penrite synthetic oil on the shelf that i thought was suitable but decided to buy  Fuchs as it was recommended,

I nearly put the wrong oil in my gearbox , contrary to the online LubeGuide

This reminds me of the DOT3 , DOT4 arguement... don't ever put DOT4 in a master cylinder reservoir that has DOT 3 specified.