Passing Stalk Wire Connection ?.

zeds4ever

Fitting up a replacement indicator switch unit that has the passing stalk high beam button in the top, however the single white wire coming out from the base of the stalk is not connected to anything , can't see any obvious place that it connects to .

Only thing I can think of is that it is an ground wire set up & might hook up to the red/white wire that is part of the dimmer switch unit & activates the high beam when the button is pressed closing the ground solid.

Any ideas please . 

Regards : Alan .

Edited by zeds4ever

Maybe check out the fsm wiring diagram. I'm not sure about the wire connections but I know my '72 has 2 relays that work the pass button. 1 relay supplies power, the other supplies the earth.

1 relay is under the gauges the other is on the passenger kick panel.

Let me know if you need pics or anything else.

Cheers

Mick

G'day Tony, thanks for the reply & the pics mate. Don't know if your indicator stalk has the set up for the pass indicator button at the top of it . Cannot see it by the angle of the pics so can you possibly send a pic showing the stalk itself if it has this set up .

G'day to you also Mick , don't know if we are talking about the same thing . I salvaged this off a  2+2 Z some time ago & have just found it amongst my stuff so decided to use it when my other unit stuffed up on my 76 260Z S30 so I don't know if there was provision with regards to relays etc for it .

Will be thankful for any light you can shed on this . Pardon the pun .

Kind regards : Alan . 

• Moderators

Hi Alan

I haven't had a chance to look at the FSM or my car (which has the PASS switch) but offer the following comments.

The headlight circuit on the S30 is of a switched earth type and as such the Combo switch on the left of the steering column simply decides which circuit to earth Low or High beam. Taking this a step further I suspect the Pass switch simply go earth when pressed. If so, you could just splice that wire onto the High Beam wire leading to the combo switch and should be in business.

How would I check this is the care ?

1. Check the Pass switch does indeed go earth when pressed.

2. Check for 12V+ on more than one wire going to the combo switch, then earth each of those wires (via a test lamp) and see if headlamp come on (Hi/Low ?)

just a thought.

If I get a chance on the weekend I will have a look at my '77 and see how the wiring plugs together, although earlier cars will most likely have a loom that is missing the plug for that wire

Cheers

PB

Hi Peter , yes the passing switch becomes a ground set up when you press the button at the top of the indicator switch . If I didn't receive a positive reply it was my intention to connect the pass wire to the high beam wire on the dimmer switch unit. Thanks for your reply mate I shall wait to hear back from you before I do this however.

Hi Alan

I don't have the wiring diagram at hand but from memory the lights only get a + supply when the lights are turned on. so, if you just use the headlight switch ground the pass switch will only work when the light witch is turned on, much like the high beam position.

Hence my post above about activating 2 relays 1 for an earth and 1 for +Ve. So the pass switch will work any time.

It's late and the red and schnapps has been flowing so not sure I am describing things well.

Cheers

Mick

• Moderators

Hi Alan

I don't have the wiring diagram at hand but from memory the lights only get a + supply when the lights are turned on. so, if you just use the headlight switch ground the pass switch will only work when the light witch is turned on, much like the high beam position.

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick

In my car the lights have a constant power regardless of the switch. The switch purely completes the circuit to earth.

Cheers

PB

• Moderators

Hi Peter , yes the passing switch becomes a ground set up when you press the button at the top of the indicator switch . If I didn't receive a positive reply it was my intention to connect the pass wire to the high beam wire on the dimmer switch unit. Thanks for your reply mate I shall wait to hear back from you before I do this however.

Hi Alan

Had a look at the car today.

My car has a separate wire Black Male Spade incorporated in the loom coming up the column. This wire is VE+ and if earthed the lights flash.

I am assuming that this wire is branch off the high beam Combo switch feed.

The wire from the "Flash" button changes to black at the end of the stalk then runs uninterrupted all the to the aforementioned spade.

The attached photos show

1. The wire coming from the switch and then running under column

2. The spade it connects to (indicated by the screwdriver)

Hope this helps

PB

post-102365-0-60898500-1468549750_thumb.jpg

post-102365-0-93124700-1468549778_thumb.jpg

Edited by PB260Z

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found the solution , turns out that one of the two ground wires I found cut short should travel up to the section near where the main ground wire is situated & connects to the white wire that is installed in the indicator stem . The other black wire I mentioned in a previous posting turned out to be the other half to the A/T kick down switch . 

Thanks for your input fella's much appreciated.

Regards : Alan                       

G'day Pete , I find it hard to believe that someone would go to so much trouble to stuff up a wiring harness as much as the previous owner has . It's been a bloody nightmare sorting it out & many thanks to NZedder for the wiring diag he sent me it helped me no end to sort the mess out & you of course .

Regards : Alan.

Edited by zeds4ever