[Newbie] Rickers - Dreamz

Hey guys, I've been stalking this website for many months now, thought I may as well leave the shadows and have some interactions. I unfortunately do not own a Z but hopefully, when the right one comes up, I'll be a proud owner of a Z and I'll also hopefully still have my girlfriend. ;)

The Backstory?

I'm a 23 year old software engineer for a company that provides our emergency services with its in-car and at-base software. I grew up in a country town, and now live in Melbourne with my girlfriend.

My life is pretty great right now, but it wasn't always that way. Throughout my life, my father has been in and out of hospital; he has beaten bowel cancer, brain tumours and poisoning from a leaky intestine. My Dad is the strongest man I know, and I want to grow up to be just like him. The only time I've ever saw him broken was when my mother passed away 6 years ago (I was 17). A policeman came to our door, pointed across the road and asked if the car, that was smashed into a tree across the road, was my family's car. It was. My mother had suffered a heart attack whilst getting the car ready to take me to school, and had pressed the accelerator and hit the tree across the road.

Back to the present time, I'm living 2 hours away from him and want to have any excuse to see him. He was a welder for most of his life, and he has always been into fixing cars and motorbikes and I've finally hit the point in my life where I feel I can handle the costs associated as well as want to start building a car I'll keep forever. Something that I'll have for the rest of my life that will always remind me of my father.

The Mission?

Now I gotta find a Z, be it a 240z or a 260z (not a 2+2), to start working on with my Dad. The plan is to keep it in his shed, because that's where the welder and tools are. We're going to try to keep it original, but put our little touch on it.

So yeah, that's me. I look forward to getting everything I know about Z's torn apart by you guys.

TLDR;

-Boy wants to be with Father

-Boy wants his father to live on in a Z.

-Boy is a nerd.

Hell

And I say this with all honesty, that's one hell of a story and commitment and I'm pretty confident that it will end up in a brilliant build thread and result.

As David (KatoKid) said "You will find lots of help and guidance here" and I'm wishing you and your Dad a wonderful journey ahead.

Cheers

John

Hi Rickers,

Fantastic introduction there and I have to admit and I'm not too pruod to do so but while reading your introduction out to my wife I started finding it hard and had to have a couple of small pauses there. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who found it quite moving, but I did and I think doing that for and with your dad will be something very special and you would both get so much out of it.

I will be very interested to hear how it pans out for you both after you find the car, it's a wonderful idea and I wish you the very best in your build and have to admit you have picked a fantastic car to do it with ;)

Justin

Welcome Rickers.

Good luck with your hunt for a Z. And when you find it enjoy the journey with your Dad.

I spent many years working with my Dad on projects and now in his old age we have some great laughs over a drink reminiscing.

It's priceless. I'm now lucky enough to have done and be doing the same with my son and it is just unbelievably fulfilling as a farther to help your boy with his projects.

Enjoy the time, both of you!

Jeff

Welcome Rickers,

Very touching intro mate; I can somewhat relate. I lost my dad when I was 17, he had a fatal heart attack at the young age of 43. In his memory, I decided to restore his 260Z and that's when I fell in love with Z's.

I wish you all the best mate and hope you find a Z so you can fulfil your goal.

Marc.

Great intro and backstory Rickers.

You will find lots of help and guidance here, all the best with it.

Thanks KatoKid. Yeah, that's the plan, y'all are a really great community.

Welcome, good luck with the search.

Thanks Gav, I'll definitely need the luck! Also, thanks for putting in the time, effort and money to bring this awesome Z community together.

Hell

And I say this with all honesty, that's one hell of a story and commitment and I'm pretty confident that it will end up in a brilliant build thread and result.

As David (KatoKid) said "You will find lots of help and guidance here" and I'm wishing you and your Dad a wonderful journey ahead.

Cheers

John

When we do get our hands on a Z, I'll definitely start a build thread about the journey. I know that I love reading a lot of the build threads here currently, so hopefully I can bring some enjoyment to you guys through a father-son build.

Thanks for the kind words John.

Hi Rickers,

Fantastic introduction there and I have to admit and I'm not too pruod to do so but while reading your introduction out to my wife I started finding it hard and had to have a couple of small pauses there. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who found it quite moving, but I did and I think doing that for and with your dad will be something very special and you would both get so much out of it.

I will be very interested to hear how it pans out for you both after you find the car, it's a wonderful idea and I wish you the very best in your build and have to admit you have picked a fantastic car to do it with ;)

Justin

Hey Justin, no shame in feeling something! We're really excited to get this on the go, I was always a mummy's boy, so I've never really done anything like this with my Dad... I think it's about dang time!

There ain't no car like a Z car! :D

Thanks for your comments :)

Welcome Rickers.

Good luck with your hunt for a Z. And when you find it enjoy the journey with your Dad.

I spent many years working with my Dad on projects and now in his old age we have some great laughs over a drink reminiscing.

It's priceless. I'm now lucky enough to have done and be doing the same with my son and it is just unbelievably fulfilling as a farther to help your boy with his projects.

Enjoy the time, both of you!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! How could I not? :D Spending time with my Dad on such a beautiful car, nothing will get us down. 

That's it man, you've hit the nail on the head, it's priceless! I'm really glad to hear that you've had such a great time with your father, and want to pass the feeling on to your kids. It's what life is all about... family. It's taken me too dang long to realise this, I'm just lucky that me and my Dad are still able to do this.

We will!

Welcome Rickers,

Very touching intro mate; I can somewhat relate. I lost my dad when I was 17, he had a fatal heart attack at the young age of 43. In his memory, I decided to restore his 260Z and that's when I fell in love with Z's.

I wish you all the best mate and hope you find a Z so you can fulfil your goal.

Marc.

Hi Marc, I'm sorry to hear that.. No-one should ever have to go through that. That's really cool man, I bet the build turned out great, and that your dad would be proud.

Thanks Marc!

We're currently keeping our eyes out for Z's on Gumtree, Ebay and this website, is there anywhere else we should be looking? I'm really bummed that I've missed out on some great deals, but hopefully something comes up for us soon, I should really stop spending my time at work looking!

Edited by Rickers

Hi Rickers,

Carpoint as well I find they come up there too, try adds although there seams to be a few looking but always worth a try. Put a short spiel as to why your after one could help as no one wants to sell a car like these to someone who is going to destroy it drifting etc. anyone in their right mind would love to sell to someone who is going to rebuild if to its former glory.

And your right zeds are something special.

Justin

Edited by 600Z

Hi Rickers,

Really enjoyed your introduction . My Z was always one of the great bonding topics between my father and myself, for over 20 years until he passed away 3 years ago. Working on the car these days still is the place I feel closest to him. I think it is a fantastic project you want to undertake with your Dad, good on you Rickers. I look forward to reading the adventures you and your Dad get up to with the car.

Good luck on your hunt.

Billy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Hi Rickers

Welcome, as everyone else has said you should be able to find the advise and support you need on the forum.

I totally understand the having a car project with your father. A while back I purchased 1940 Chev as a toy for Dad and I to play with - it lives at his place and he is takes it out almost every day.

I became very aware that whilst Dad is not ill, he was not getting any younger (75) and if I left it too long the opportunity would be gone. It has been the best money I ever spent, we have had so fun bonding and drinking while fiddling the Chev.

I am really looking forward to reading about the experience you and your father have with the Z.

Cheers

PB

post-102365-0-09427000-1468566075_thumb.jpg

Edited by PB260Z

• Administrators

Peter is it likely he had it out along the old Pacific Highway a couple of weekends ago on a Sunday afternoon? I saw a car like that when I was out that way coming back from the Gosford Museum.

• Moderators

Peter is it likely he had it out along the old Pacific Highway a couple of weekends ago on a Sunday afternoon? I saw a car like that when I was out that way coming back from the Gosford Museum.

Every chance it was him, he seems to be always out and about in it.

• Administrators

Money well spent then, I thought it was you and I was expecting you to tell me you saw an FD RX-7 and 944 heading in the other direction.

But that's the good thing about buying a car someone else has done the hard work on, you can enjoy it immediately. You don't have to wait.

• Moderators

Money well spent then, I thought it was you and I was expecting you to tell me you saw an FD RX-7 and 944 heading in the other direction.

But that's the good thing about buying a car someone else has done the hard work on, you can enjoy it immediately. You don't have to wait.

I wasn't with him, he does a lot little journeys just him and the Chev.

• 1 month later...

Hi Rickers,

Carpoint as well I find they come up there too, try adds although there seams to be a few looking but always worth a try. Put a short spiel as to why your after one could help as no one wants to sell a car like these to someone who is going to destroy it drifting etc. anyone in their right mind would love to sell to someone who is going to rebuild if to its former glory.

And your right zeds are something special.

Justin

Thanks for the recommendations, I stuck a gumtree ad up as well as one of these forums and behold, I am now the owner of a few Zeds.

I couldn't stop smiling when I inspected them.

Hi Rickers,

Really enjoyed your introduction . My Z was always one of the great bonding topics between my father and myself, for over 20 years until he passed away 3 years ago. Working on the car these days still is the place I feel closest to him. I think it is a fantastic project you want to undertake with your Dad, good on you Rickers. I look forward to reading the adventures you and your Dad get up to with the car.

Good luck on your hunt.

Billy.

I'm sorry to hear about your father, but I'm so glad that you shared a passion with him and have such a great way to remember him by.

Thanks very much for your post, Billy.

Hi Rickers

Welcome, as everyone else has said you should be able to find the advise and support you need on the forum.

I totally understand the having a car project with your father. A while back I purchased 1940 Chev as a toy for Dad and I to play with - it lives at his place and he is takes it out almost every day.

I became very aware that whilst Dad is not ill, he was not getting any younger (75) and if I left it too long the opportunity would be gone. It has been the best money I ever spent, we have had so fun bonding and drinking while fiddling the Chev.

I am really looking forward to reading about the experience you and your father have with the Z.

Cheers

PB

That's really good to hear, PB. It sounds like you've given your father and yourself an amazing set of memories and that is priceless.

I've got some good news; I've purchased 3 Zeds. The seller, located in QLD sent me a very generous offer, I had never receieved this kind of generosity before, and I have never felt so at home when being so far away from my actual home. The seller has shown me kindness that I've never seen before and I'll always be forever greatful. He's also got a beautiful dog, and I love dogs.

So, as soon as I get them down from QLD, I guess the build shall begin!

Thanks for all the help guys,

-Rick

for your sake hope it wasn't a scam,. good uck with them

Interesting why you would think it is a scram,how would that work, clearly he has seen the cars in person and not just pictures, so how would the scram work from there.

Edited by Patch

Interesting why you would think it is a scram,how would that work, clearly he has seen the cars in person and not just pictures, so how would the scram work from there.

I cant take back what I have said, and I meant no ill feelings to Rickers, on reading the whole post again Rickers did say he had viewed the cars and I missed that in my read, I am not going to explain how the scam works use google.

The last paragraph in post 16 just set off alarm bells to me. I am very glad that I am wrong on this one. apologies for my comment. Rickers good luck with your cars.

Edited by Linton

for your sake hope it wasn't a scam,. good luck with them

I appreciate that you're looking out for me, but it's definitely not a scam. Cheers.

Great news Rick.

I'm looking forward to following the progress.

Jeff

I can't wait to be able to share the experience with you guys.

Great news Rick. Enjoy the build. We look forward to hearing about it.

Thanks Cozza!

Sad to see Linton rain on your parade Rick but that is life, there is always one, If you have any feelings you are being scramed, I am more than willing to refund you the full amount and the cars can stay here, on another note they are  all packed up and ready to go.

Cheers Dave.

excited to see the build on these!! good luck dude, you'll find ample amounts of info on here. i know i have thats for sure!
plus everyone i've been in contact with from on here is super awesome and loves helping out :))