260Z 2+2 Rb25Det Conversion, Diff And Driveshaft?

Rat50n

Hey guys, ill start by introducing my self.

My name is Hadley, I'm 19 and live in the Bluemountains. Last November i sold my beloved Mx5 and decided to get a 260z. I found one for sale 6 hours south so we drove down with a car trailer and next thing i knew i was the owner of this golden Turd..

Its a 1974 2+2 (vin ends in 000764 so I'm guessing it is a really early one). i bought it off an old pommy guy for $2,750, he had been using it to tow his caravan around... the flywheel provide it to. it was unregistered but that was ok. when i got it home i set about cutting out rust and welding in new plates and bogging it up. I must of done ok as it past rego haha. A few months later a mate and i drove to Brisbane one weekend to pick up a l28 block, head and some other stuff. But i haven since decided that i want to do an RB swap instead...

which brings me to my main point

Ive figured out pretty much everything that needs to be done except for the tailshaft and diff.

Ive tried looking everywhere for conversions on 2+2s but i can't find anything that will help.

Can i use the standard tailshaft out of my car and will it fit straight in the trans? or do i need to use a combo of both? or just get a custom one made up? 

Also can i keep the standard diff? its just going to be a stock rb25det atm so will it be strong enough?

Im an apprentice so i don't have a lot of money to spend and id like to do as much my self as possible as my brother is a mechanic.

cheers guys.

some photos of it so far

post-105164-0-33653500-1467186347_thumb.jpg

post-105164-0-86920300-1467186356_thumb.jpg

post-105164-0-86886400-1467186364_thumb.jpg

post-105164-0-97242700-1467186370_thumb.jpg

post-105164-0-09322200-1467186378_thumb.jpg

post-105164-0-05245300-1467186384_thumb.jpg

post-105164-0-43531900-1467186387_thumb.jpg

post-105164-0-37490400-1467186392_thumb.jpg

Hi Hadley,

Good to see another zed driver, there a great car and I can imagine with a RB conversion they would be nice though I have not driven one, mine is a LS conversion.

Plenty of people on here have done what your wanting to do and I would have thought someone would have given you a bit of info. I'm not familiar with the RB's gearbox but I would tent to think that you will need the output section of the tail shaft to suit the gearbox and have a driveline place like Hardie spicer etc make one out of the two.

As for the diff, if it's a R200 which I would certainly think it would be its strong enough as I have one with 265kw at the wheels and over 500Nm of torque, just don't be stupid with them dropping the clutch etc. There are R200 shortnose diff conversions and plenty of different axle conversions as well you can search around for.

You can also get an engine and gearbox mount kit for the RB into the S30.

Everyone is pretty helpful on here, find someone who has done it and just flick them a few questions to point you in the right direction ;)

Justin

Hi Hadley

I don't know anything about RB swaps. But I do know a bit about photography and boy you can swing that camera.

Love your work....

Electrical Apprentice?

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I'm a apprentice linesman and HV electrician, although i think i would of prefered to be a mechanic :P

Thanks Jeff! I'm a apprentice linesman and HV electrician, although i think i would of prefered to be a mechanic :P

Stick with the apprentership and then go mechanical if you desire at a later date.

Some of the best Datsun gurus are electrically minded...

• 2 months later...