HomeBuiltByJeff

Home Built By Jeff Project Z

Hey guys,

I have been stalking this site for a while, so I thought I should come on in and introduce myself. I am Jeff, and I have been running a youTube channel for a while now building my old Porsche 911. As I am smashing through the old glorified VW I have been looking for my next project and a Z has always been at the top of my wish list.

I am not a purist, so the car will not be an original concours restoration. I have been swaying between either building a nice, clean, race car with a few custom tweaks or a full bore resto mod, with an updated driveline and all of the mod cons. I am swaying towards the latter. I am probably biting off more than I can chew, but I tend to keep on chewing. The plan is to do every single part of the car myself, as I have been doing with my old 911.

So I thought I would just say hi and get any feed back from you guys, thoughts, etc. I am planning on doing a full rotisserie rebuild so I am not after the cleanest car out there, and I am not afraid of some rust (see my 911). If anyone has anything squirrelled away let me know, It doesn't need to be a complete car, but I am specifically looking for a 2 seater 240/260 shell.

If you are interested you can check out my youtube channel,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk_vb_SJctymCkwnF6sAwDg 

Thanks guys,

Jeff.

Welcome Jeff,

I'll be sure to catch up on your 911 build. An RSR is probably my favorite look for the early 911's. I have already forwarded your channel to a friend who is a Porsche nut.

Welcome Jeff,

I'll be sure to catch up on your 911 build. An RSR is probably my favorite look for the early 911's. I have already forwarded your channel to a friend who is a Porsche nut.

Yeah I love the RSR look, and I was lucky to find my crusty old 911 pretty cheap with the prices skyrocketing (a bit like those of the Z's too). Also because it wasn't original, I wasn't going to hurt it's value by building it the way I want it ;)

Which brings me to a point. I am not an expert in the Z market. If I build a resto mod, am I going to be hurting the value of a Z?

Woohoo another Jeff. This forum might need to be renamed :-).

Welcome. I must admit to nearly purchasing a 911 before I settled on the Z

Jeff.

Haha, maybe. I did notice there were a few. You even spell it the right way ;)

Hi Jeff,

I'm the Porsche nut that Gav is referring to... It's been a childhood dream of sorts and I ended up getting a 1983 944 last year. I'm not as advanced as your or Gav when it comes to car restoration, but I'd love to learn... if you don't mind a Porsche enthusiast looking over your shoulder when you work on your 911, I'd love to see you work sometime...

I just subscribed to your YouTube channel. Love what you're doing with the 911... 

J3 (there are two other Jeff's on here already)

Love your channel, love your work.

Welcome and looking forward to a full blown S30 Channel and build.

Cheers

John

Thanks guys,

I wouldn't say I am advanced in car restoration, just stubborn and persistent. I like to learn new skills, and I am determined to keep trying until I succeed. I also have the benefit of having a bunch of time on my hands during the week, when my wife and other mates are at work. I am a firie, so I have a good roster system, and I need projects to keep me out of trouble. ;)

I live in the boonies, and am usually working on the car during the week, but if you are around let me know.

Jeff.

Hey guys. Well I know it has been a while, but I have reached a stopping point on my 911 and it is time to start my Z build.

This week I first needed to replace the front wheel bearings on the 911 so I could put wheels on it and move it out of the way. I then got into doing a stocktake on my Z to see what it needed, and start formulating a plan for the build.

Here is the episode.