260Z 2+2 Question

Hi Guys, I am new here and am obviously new to the Nissan/Datsun scene and are a little out of my relm as I am a Chysler guy so please go easy on me. 

My wife is interested in a 260z that has been presented to us locally and I am keen on getting it for her but don't want to get ripped off etc as my knowledge is fairly vast etc.

It is a honest unrestored 1 owner original car with owners books etc and original engine etc.  It runs and drives well apparently as it was used as a daily driver up until 2 years ago by the elderly gentleman. 

The problems are rust in the rear half of the car ie in sills and around hatch and rear coupe windows etc which are failry bad and also the seats are ripped etc but other than that is a complete car even down to the original radio etc.

He is asking $2000 for it.

Is that a good deal and is it worth doing up or is it worth looking for something with lest rust etc for more money. 

Thanks in advance guys

• Administrators

$2000 is dirt cheap.. the question is what is the body like? Any photos. Difficult to tell from a description. It certainly sounds like a bargain to me.. Worth more in parts than asking price.

2+2 are a lot heavier in the steering compared to the 2 seater, has your wife driven one, I have one that needs restoring my lady told me if I restored it for her she will not be driving it again, it may have been fine years ago before every car had power steering but once they have had power steering they don't wont to go back, I bought a 306 pug sports car convertible that she wanted she only drove it 2ks and pulled over and said she can't drive it it is to heavy in the steering, yet this has power steering.

Edited by Patch

I would like to keep as a unrestored original if possible but I wont know until I dig into the rust I suppose and see how bad it actually is. But it suppose worst case scenario a basic restoration a fair way down the track.

I can get fairly cheap decent rust and paint work down here. 

I suppose if I was to put a minimum of 10 k into it would it be worth more than that or am I better looking at something done? 

How rare is it to find a 1 owner orginal car with books with these and will they hold or increase in value etc down the track etc. And if so what is one worth restored? I have looked online and there is so many different prices and hard to find something original etc to get a guide.

As I said I know Valiants inside and out and sometimes its just as easy to go down the path of buying something restored already, however 1 owner with books etc is huge when dealing with them etc and wonder if its the same with these.

A 2+2 goes for about half price of the 2 seaters, all depends on finished condition, we have had some sell for 25k for a 2+2 which was a high price so they are coming up, at the moment a 2+2 is not really in the highly collectable market yet, but your one sounds a good buy at 2k.

• Administrators

I would like to keep as a unrestored original if possible but I wont know until I dig into the rust I suppose and see how bad it actually is. But it suppose worst case scenario a basic restoration a fair way down the track.

I can get fairly cheap decent rust and paint work down here. 

I suppose if I was to put a minimum of 10 k into it would it be worth more than that or am I better looking at something done?

$12k doesn't go that far these days, even for a 2+2 it will only get you a decent driver that has been relatively well kept, but rough paint, tired interior and dirty engine bay. Keep in mind that 2+2 values have been kept low for a long time and so many cars haven't been properly looked after as a result. This makes finding a good 1 hard.

How rare is it to find a 1 owner orginal car with books with these and will they hold or increase in value etc down the track etc. And if so what is one worth restored? I have looked online and there is so many different prices and hard to find something original etc to get a guide.

Pretty rare to be honest, but maybe more likely than finding a 2 seater. For some reason 2+2's have lasted longer with the same owners perhaps because of the extra seats? This is really my anecdotal observation than hard fact, but I feel like most 240z's have been through many hands. Where as 2+2's were in the family a long time. Anything that is single owner, with original books, radio and carbs is now quite a find.

As I said I know Valiants inside and out and sometimes its just as easy to go down the path of buying something restored already, however 1 owner with books etc is huge when dealing with them etc and wonder if its the same with these.

As you know, a restored car is going to be far cheaper in the long run. Some 2+2 bits and pieces are getting very hard to source, interior panels for example and rust repair sections need to be hand made and not available off the shelf. This is because 2+2's are relatively less common and have been less popular on a global level. A lot of reproduction parts now exist for 2 seaters but 2+2's are often forgotten. The cost of restoring a 2+2 and 2 seater is going to be pretty similar. The value of each when done though will be quite different.

As a example of the market going up here is a good example sold in 2012 for $14k this could probably get 20-25k now, how much will it cost to get it there.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/8593-nsw-77-260z-22-l28-w-45mm-webers-tokico-illuminas/

After looking at it again I see he kept it

Edited by Patch

There is a guy on ebay doing some stuff for 2+2. Note that early and later versions, post October 76 have some subtle differences eg, doors not interchangeable, floor rails different etc. Post some pics of the rust areas if you get it.

Cheers

Hi Brad,

We have both a 260 2 seater with many modifications and a 260 2+2 which is my wife's car that were doing up. The steering does depend on setup but yes even standard they are fairly heavy and if your doing a lot of windy roads it might get a bit much for her as well as parking.

But it's not something to put you off there are options, quite a few guys have done power steering conversions that would set you back anywhere from several hundred to few thousand. You have hydraulic rack conversions and or electric power assist columns.

I have a electric power assist unit that I make in my 260 and standing still you can go from lock to lock with one finger if you want, other guys can give you advice on hydraulic units as I have never felt or seen on in a zed but there are plenty around. My wife's car is about to get one in a couple of weeks once I finish it.

The guys advices on here are good, check the car out, compare what it's going to cost to get it up to a condition compared to what you could pick up one for in the same condition once you get it to the point you like, so compare apples with apples and if it's going to cost less and prepared to do the work go for it. It's always less painful spending money in dribs and drabs then all in one hit if you don't mind the work and wait. Just bare in mind it adds up quickly as the guys on here can tell you.

Good luck, there a awesome fun car ;)

• 8 months later...

Heres a quick update guys, I ended up buying the 260z as discussed at a even better than expected price as it was not running.  That was a simple fix in the end once I got it home and it runs and drives perfectly. All original and complete as it left the factory.  However will need rust work and respray down the track as it has had a bad bog and respray a while back hence why it looks half decent.  But for a 1 owner orginal its a ripper.

Just in case you are missing a step;

1. Click on "More Reply Options"

2. Click on "Choose File" button

3. Navigate to the picture (a .jpg file preferably) - then click on "Open"

4. Click on "Attach this File"

5. Click on "Attach to Post"

Edited by GongZ