The Potential Downside To Racing

GK510

Just came across these pics. Driver apparently walked away sore but ok. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the car. Supposedly rolled 6 times, the first of which was at 90mph.

Ouch! R.I.P

Pics courtesy of Datsun Vintage Road Racing on the book of faces. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1733068733587157/

post-103432-0-62484800-1465990073_thumb.jpeg

post-103432-0-77689700-1465990096_thumb.jpeg

post-103432-0-51485400-1465990118_thumb.jpeg

post-103432-0-06949700-1465990145_thumb.jpeg

ouch. The cage did hold together absorbing the impact. Heavy distortion. Mind there was not much support for a role over on that side with no cross brace supporting passengers side. Don't think it will go again!!

Is it just me or do the welds on that cage look fairly average? Suprised that cage held up

Although it is a bit of an indication as to how much care is taken, ugly welds can still have excellent penetration, and vice-versa. Sometimes I wonder if too much emphasis is placed on getting that sexy "stack of dimes" TIG look at the expense of strength.

As far as downside to racing goes, my father always used to tell me "If you can't afford to walk out to the shed and set fire to the car, you can't afford to go racing"

Edited by 1600dave

You dont like to think it, but reality is, you can bin a car, but if its built well, you like to think you can walk away from it.

You do run over in your mind, just prior to going out, the "what ifs,,,"

Been in a number of rally cars that have been whacked around much worse, big tree trunks, and steep drops off sides of roads, it is surprising what the human body can take, when you look at the twisted remains.

That Z above was a replica, not an original.

Look up the pics of the 2012 Group S race at Phillip Island, Bryan Taylors red Porsche, coming onto the front straight.

Gav, it was the footage taken by two spectators, one postioned before the turn, and one positioned after, half way down main straight, that really show the benefit of the safety gear.

This was pre HANS being mandatory. Bryan Taylor walked away with slight concussion, and bruising.

Does anyone know what caused the roll over? Was it mechanical failure, driver error or a collision with another car.

I have seen an in car video of a Zed when it breaks the rear stub axle during a corner and the car almost rolled!

The roll over was due to the Corvette smacking into the side of the Porsche while it spun. Watching the video, you can see the Corvette is obviously spewing out oil from somewhere for several corners before the incident which is obviously what made him spin. The Porsche and Jason were just the unlucky ones to be caught up in it. Jason comments between 3.10 and 3.20 in the video pretty well sums it up.

Edited by GK510

• Administrators

Gav, it was the footage taken by two spectators, one postioned before the turn, and one positioned after, half way down main straight, that really show the benefit of the safety gear.

This was pre HANS being mandatory. Bryan Taylor walked away with slight concussion, and bruising.

Haha....that's twice in two days I've jumped the gun.

Not sure what happened with the car in the OP. The post on FB by the driver doesn't explain any possible cause. He just talks about now having to sell his two Roadsters so he can build a new car. Good to see he's getting back on the horse so to speak! He's posted on of them on the same FB page already at $17,500 US.

• 2 months later...

So the BRE replica is a friend of mine....

going down the front straight at Thunderhill he was tagged by another car that sent him off the track sideways at 80-100 mph. To make matters worse, he slid sideways into a drainage ditch in the infield which started the roll.

First roll knocked him out, he came to when emergency truck arrived and was on it's side.

The cage was in the car when he purchased it many years ago and it had been raced in the 80's. B Production??  Necksgen was worn along with full restraints. Car was not equipped with a full wrap around race seat which he said that he would never do without in the future.

Car has been stripped and is in the shop. I can get some pics of the roll bar breaks and deformation if you chaps are interested.