Gearbox Not Selecting Gears?

VintageNissanEnthusiast

Hi all.

The other week was probably the second time in a month that I had tried to put the z into reverse with it stalling. Then once I start it up again I can't select any gear but 5th and the car drives forward in neutral like it was in first. 

About 2 weeks previously it did this and we took it apart and found there was something wrong with the detents in the gearbox and assumed the selector fork wasn't working. Upon closed inspection none of the shafts had been lubricated. Supposedly that was all resolved and only the second time driving it since the fix it happened again? 

No idea what is going on. Its a 260z dog box that was supposedly built by a gentleman by the name of Peter Hall. I have been told that I should just got and by and RB25 box for the amount I am paying someone to constantly remove and inspect the gearbox, but I just want to figure out what is wrong with it and resolve it. 

Honestly the car has been in the shop more times than it has been driven haha and I am starting to get sick of the tow companies knowing me by name! 

Any ideas what it could be? Something drying out the box I have no idea? 

A friends fathers shop in Mornington! I will see how we go this time around hopefully the issue can be resolved. 

Definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

• Moderators

Definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

but we see it all to often, especially with cars.

Is it one of Peter Halls modfied boxes,?

or, is first is to the left and down, reverse is to left and up,

Second in middle and up, third is in middle and down, fourth is to right and up, fifth to right and down?

The selector striker may have bent, and is just fouling on the selector rod forks.

This one might be one of Locky's favourites,,,,, another doubled roll pin jobbie!

Hi all.

The other week was probably the second time in a month that I had tried to put the z into reverse with it stalling. Then once I start it up again I can't select any gear but 5th and the car drives forward in neutral like it was in first. 

About 2 weeks previously it did this and we took it apart and found there was something wrong with the detents in the gearbox and assumed the selector fork wasn't working. Upon closed inspection none of the shafts had been lubricated. Supposedly that was all resolved and only the second time driving it since the fix it happened again? 

No idea what is going on. Its a 260z dog box that was supposedly built by a gentleman by the name of Peter Hall. I have been told that I should just got and by and RB25 box for the amount I am paying someone to constantly remove and inspect the gearbox, but I just want to figure out what is wrong with it and resolve it. 

Honestly the car has been in the shop more times than it has been driven haha and I am starting to get sick of the tow companies knowing me by name! 

Any ideas what it could be? Something drying out the box I have no idea? 

I had a look at a gearbox in at Les's today that had the cases off.

After a bit of a conflab with Les, we determined that some when you've selected 1st, the selector finger has then moved out of the 1st/2nd rails (who knows how or why)

& you've unwittingly selected the 5th/Rev rail. Hence you've selected 2 gear at once which makes the car stall.

Something is going on with the selector finger & how it runs in the selector rails.

But what I've just typed is all anecdotal anyway...

You are still going to pull the box, take it to your mates dad, who still won't find anything, put it back together & give it back to you even though the problem hasn't been found.

You'll then be even MORE annoyed that you've spent MORE time & money in not finding the problem, when you should have just taken it to Les to repair in the first place!!!

Hey Dat2Kman, First is Up Left, Reverse is down far right. 

Haha Lurch you do make a very convincing case! I guess it's because its someone I know that I think they would be able to resolve it. Maybe wishful thinking. Maybe because I paid them once and it didn't work and I like the idea of not paying again to get it re fixed, it's definitely naive. 

Also I don't have the facilities to take gearbox out and transport it to Warragul. I could potentially get the Z towed but I'm pretty sure the going rate of that would be close to another Z? Unless you know a cheap tow? If it was going in for the gearbox it would be there for a tune as well. 

ps although I don't listen to the guy, this is probably a bit better than that one haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPpxxrl0xhM

Edited by VintageNissanEnthusiast

• Moderators

I had a look at a gearbox in at Les's today that had the cases off.

After a bit of a conflab with Les, we determined that some when you've selected 1st, the selector finger has then moved out of the 1st/2nd rails (who knows how or why)

& you've unwittingly selected the 5th/Rev rail. Hence you've selected 2 gear at once which makes the car stall.

Sounds very very familar happened to me on another car :( luckily that car had sideloaded forks so was able to be fixed with the gearbox in place.