My 2 Seater 260

Nick odato

Hi guys I'm after a lil help, I have a260 that has some pitting in the roof and a few small rust holes. I'm wondering what the best way to fix it is as I don't want it to come back in a few years, I think it had a vinyl roof at some stage as it's rather pitted in the centre and not to bad around the edges. Cheers and Thanks in advance! Nick

Photo's would be a good start as its hard to give a prognosis and course of action otherwise.

Pitting as in paint blistering like acne spots? 

• Administrators

Nick pitted metal on an external panel really needs to be cut out and replaced with fresh sheet metal. It gets thinner and weaker and you can't really repair it very well. All other solutions would be half arsed. Finding a 2 seater turret is getting more difficult but is the best way to go.

Hi Nick

That does not look great. You might need some professional help with that? There will be a few options but it's hard to judge from a photo.

Try dattocam for a hatch. I know he had access to a fair selection a few months ago and he probably still has some.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Yeah I don't mind doing the rest of the body work, I have a very rusty 2+2 to work on too, but the roof panel I want done right. Anyone got a roof cut lying around?

Or has anyone taken something similar to panel shop etc or attempted doing a swap themselves?

I have lots of spares from a couple or 2+2 if anyone needs a part.

Nick. You will have more luck winning power ball than getting a turret in good condition, but you never know your luck.

Have a dig through the forums there has been a few roof repairs carried out.

Jeff

From what I can see, I don't believe you need a roof cut.

What I do see, based on my experience, is a roof that has been stripped back at some stage, you can see the base primer and also what look's like pink spray putty.

I would suggest that you need to pop the front screen out and have it media blasted with a very light material then get it sealed with an epoxy immediately,

I've seen cars dragged out of farm paddocks with that degree of pertina and clean up to a very clean metal finish with the right media treatment. 

Look at this example I did a quick Google on

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/dustless/blasting.html

Edited by Sirpent

Yeah it's not to bad, as a lot of the bog around the edge of the roof has protected the roof itself. I have a garnet / media blaster and it comes up ok in sections. It's just pitted. I was just abit scared to find a better word.. Of filling in small pits on a large semi flexible ser face like a roof.

I'm new to this page so I'll have a look through some things and find if there's some others that have been done.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Cheers Nick

Nick

Have a hunt around do some home work and have a chat to one of the car restorers in your area. I'm sure there are a few in the Geelong district. Take Johns advice above and as I said in my first post there will be a few options.

Jeff

• Administrators

Hard to tell from the photos how bad it is, but I think Hydroblasting might be a good option. I'd imagine R100's are very thin metal!

Example here:

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/forum/garages/mazda-garage/288725-saving-a-rusty-r100/page2

• Administrators

I would be very careful with a flap disc you could thin the metal out and put low and high spots in it. Much better to blast with a fine grit media carefully...

It's hard to get perspective from the photos but that does not look very good. Is that a hole through the metal?

It also looks very pitted. Good luck with the hunt for a new or good second hand turret.

Is it the result of a sun roof repair? Or as you have indicated a vinyl roof? If it was a vinyl roof you might see a few other tell tayle signs along the rear quarter panels where the holes have been filled that located the bottom retainer. If the outer section of the turret around the gutters, window openings and frame are ok then an option might be to find someone who is proficient with an English wheel to role up a new skin?

Yeah there is a small hole about 3mm in diameter , along with all the pitting, the edges and gutters and the rear piller are fine tho.

Nah not a sunroof repair, but I'm just taking a guess with the vinyl as have dealt with other cars that had vinyl roofs and looked very similar in ways of metal damage.

Yeah will have a look around for a new roof, If your going to do a job do it right I say !

Otherwise I might have to get a new roof fabbed up for it.

Makes the rust in my ae86 look like nothing!

Cheers