Kph Vs Mph - Speedo Options

ScottyB

Bit of a noob question, but short of going aftermarket gauges such as speedhut, is there an option that'll give me accurate speed readout in kph?

Speedo jumps around a little and with a/market wheels, I just don't trust it. Have seen small dash mounted gps systems that give real time speed used before.

remove the inner cable clean it and lightly regrease it, make sure the are no sharp kinks in the cable and it should settle down, if you are not using the original wheel size then you are going to have issues that you may have to live with, check your speed with a gps and drive accordingly, mine is spot on with the gps and the wheels have been changed, guess I was lucky.

Bit of a noob question, but short of going aftermarket gauges such as speedhut, is there an option that'll give me accurate speed readout in kph?

Speedo jumps around a little and with a/market wheels, I just don't trust it. Have seen small dash mounted gps systems that give real time speed used before.

240Z ?   The guts of a 260Z speedo can be swapped into a 240Z housing for kph.

Also as Linton says, make sure your cable is in good condition. Also check the condition of the gear drive and worm gear.

Plenty of GPS speedo apps available for smart phones too.

The speedo jumping has NOTHING to do with your wheels, aftermarket or otherwise.

The speedo is driven off the the output shaft of the transmission through a cable. First thing to do is is to inspect the cable for any kinks and/or worn areas from rubbing against something, or just damage in general. You can also lube up the inner shaft. If that doesn't change it, then inspect both the drive and driven gears in the transmission. The driven gear is easily removed from the trans for inspection (and replacement if gear and/or tire diameters have changed. The inner gear I believe is cast as part of the output shaft, and should be fine, but doesn't hurt to also take a look at it through the speedo gear hole while rotation the output shaft.
If the trans or cable maintenance doesn't reveal or correct the issue, then the problem is in the speedo itself. It will have to be repaired or replaced. Sometimes they get sticky from non-use and just need a few miles of drive time, other times they need to be opened up and lubed (lightly) to get back to smooth operation.

I thought about that for my car, but the fact that the odometers would still be reading in imperial bothered me, so I bought a metric speedo for my car, it's from a 280Z, but I will swap the guts over, once I build an electric drive conversion for it. My new trans doesn't have a mechanical speedo output. :)

Edited by Six_Shooter