Greetings From Tas

• Administrators

The consensus here is that they won't work too well with a larger displacement motor. You'll have to invest more in set up and getting the tune right.

Also factor in import duties for anything over $1000 AUD.

Sound is amazeballs though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1OcrvsAGGU

Cheers Gav.

Yeah, did some research and apparently great for what I have (stock L24). Not so much anything built - 44's always suggested.

Not really in the market for carbs yet, but they really do look the goods and are priced well. Just feeling the urge.

• 1 month later...

280zx gearbox pops out of 5th and I have to hold it in reverse. Pulled that out around a month ago and have a replacement ready to drop back in.

Bought a relay to fix my headlights.

Have a civic fan to replace the OEM unit that blows softer than I can myself.

Just need to get in and do it now.

Nice progress Scotty. Do you know what the cause was with the gearbox popping out? 

The civic fan blower is a good upgrade, I've got one in my car. Apparently there's a Kia Sportage blower that's  better again, it fits with a little trimming of the housing. 

We'll, I was confident going in and went to install my headlight relay.

Took a positive from the alternator, earthed on the body and grabbed both low beam power when switched wires to now pass through the relay. Ultimately, left the rest of the wiring as it was.

Passenger side still dim... I earthed the relay alone, not splicing into the earth wire going to the headlights. Would that be the difference or do I have it wrong elsewhere?

Scott

Use a multi meter to check to voltage across each light on each side. If they are the same it might be the bulb. If the passengers side is a lower voltage ( probably the problem) then you have a voltage drop ( extra resistance ) in the wiring. My guess is in the earth (-) side of the circuit based on what you have said.

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff

You should be able to use the multimeter to determine the location of the problem. You need to find the location of the volt drop. This will be made simpler by being able to compare one side to the other.

Good luck. Tomorrows job?

Jeff

I put the new transmission in today and got to take the car for a nice drive. It's great having a box that stays in 5th and not having to hold it in reverse r

eally helps.

Best part was doing it all myself - first time pulling/installing a box before.

Headlights are still a fail Jeff. I rewired to earth both sides off the relays earth - no dice.

I only get around half the voltage on the passenger side light into the relay, so it's getting kinda frustrating now. Need to get in and fix it though, need to re-register it in Tasmania.

• Administrators

I put the new transmission in today and got to take the car for a nice drive. It's great having a box that stays in 5th and not having to hold it in reverse r

eally helps.

Well done!

eally helps.

Headlights are still a fail Jeff. I rewired to earth both sides off the relays earth - no dice.

I only get around half the voltage on the passenger side light into the relay, so it's getting kinda frustrating now. Need to get in and fix it though, need to re-register it in Tasmania.

Great work Scott. It is a great feeling to fix, repair or make things yourself. Stick with the lights. I'm sure it won't be anything to dificult to fix once you have worked it out. From your discription it sounds like the voltage drop is on the + side.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Jeff - 99% fixed the headlights, which now feature both headlights and one high beam. I am quietly confident that the globe I didn't replace is the issue.

Took the old girl for a spirited fun drive through the mountains on Sunday. She was perfect, but I noticed an unburnt fuel smell.

Got home and it wasnt obvious straight away, but found that fuel had come out of the filler and run down the rear quarter panel. My guess is there's no baffles in tank?

Cheers Jeff - 99% fixed the headlights, which now feature both headlights and one high beam. I am quietly confident that the globe I didn't replace is the issue.

Took the old girl for a spirited fun drive through the mountains on Sunday. She was perfect, but I noticed an unburnt fuel smell.

Got home and it wasnt obvious straight away, but found that fuel had come out of the filler and run down the rear quarter panel. My guess is there's no baffles in tank?

You are just to spirited with your driving :-)

There is a baffle across the tank, if it's a standard tank.

Jeff

• 5 months later...