New Member After A 240 Or 260Z Two Seater.

Bobby

Hello,

My name is Robert from Newcastle.

I am 66 and retired and after a car to tinker/fiddle/do up that when I eventually sell it then I will hopefully have not lost a lot.

I can do all mechanical work myself but I can't cut out rust or do painting so am after a car with a fairly good body.

I recently spent some time with Issac Smith in Sydney and he took me for a run in one of his cars. I was most impressed.

I am after a two seater, manual car with the original engine and preferably still in the original colour.

Does not matter if the motor/gearbox/diff. need work.

I have a friend who has a 260Z that he has been working on for twelve years and it is still not on the road.

I am not interested in doing that at my age.

Might be an idea to mention what you are prepared to pay Bobby, be warned that the body is everything with these cars so demand and prices for good ones are high. Checked locally? You may just get lucky there rather than in the bigger cities.

• Administrators

I recently spent some time with Issac Smith in Sydney and he took me for a run in one of his cars. I was most impressed.

I am after a two seater, manual car with the original engine and preferably still in the original colour.

Bobby, I would have thought a good place to start was with Issac he's pretty resourceful at finding S30Z's. But I guess asking here can't hurt either. Good luck, but most of the stuff I come across these days is in need of serious bodywork.

Hello again.

Thanks to everyone for advice.

When I was at Issac Smiths place he had a couple of cars that were in need of a lot of attention. He admitted they were not the car for me.

I am after something that is registered or could be with a little bit of work.

I don't mind taking it off the road every now and then for work/repairs but I want to enjoy drives in it.

Could someone tell me what The letters PM mean in replies to questions on forums?

One of the replies above mentions I should state a price I am prepared to pay. That is difficult-I suppose it all depends.

A couple of months ago there was a pretty neat looking red targa car in Adelaide for $40,000. That would have been as high as I would go.

Only yesterday a silver and black racing car appeared on carsales for $29,000 but it has gone already.

• Administrators

Either of these appeal?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Datsun-240Z-1973/SSE-AD-3806334/?Cr=0

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Datsun-240Z-1972/SSE-AD-4035177/?Cr=1

The Green car seems like a perfect fit for you, it needs interior work but mechanically seems ok and the body looks ok from the photos.

The SC car could be returned to a road car.

This doesn't have the original engine, but could be a neat car. When you say original engine do you mean numbers matching or L-series engine?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Datsun-260Z-1974/SSE-AD-3437344/?Cr=2

Hello and thanks again for all the advice.

GAV240Z above mentions three cars on Carsales.

I have been watching Carsales probably twice/day looking. I did enquire about the Silver race car but it went very quickly and the others don't appeal to me.

I also watch my105, Unique cars and Justauto and of course this website.

I would like a matching number engine. I have noticed some adds that say it has a different engine but the original engine is included in the sale. That's okay.

Also when I was at Issac Smiths place he had a nice original auto and I noticed on one of the data plates under the bonnet it said "automatic" so I do not want to convert an auto into a manual.

My wife often tells me I am a pain so I guess you can see why.

• Administrators

I would like a matching number engine. I have noticed some adds that say it has a different engine but the original engine is included in the sale. That's okay.

Also when I was at Issac Smiths place he had a nice original auto and I noticed on one of the data plates under the bonnet it said "automatic" so I do not want to convert an auto into a manual.

My wife often tells me I am a pain so I guess you can see why.

The plate in the engine bay is the Australian compliance plate and I believe is 1 of the few tell tale signs a car was auto. However keep in mind that not all 240z's had a compliance plate fitted. It doesn't seem to be something we see consistently on all cars until around 1974.

Of course the transmission tunnel was also a little different on the auto's and the pedal box (the accelerator pedeal is a bit different) also may also be a give away for those looking at strict originality.

Numbers matching is an interesting topic in and of itself. I started a topic on it a while ago.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/14549-how-original-is-original-is-original-really-original-must-go-deeper/

and another older discussion on the same topic.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/9632-240z-value-with-l26-or-matching-number-l24/

Don't worry I understand where you're coming from, but that's why I ask these questions. So we all know what you're after.

• Administrators

Hi Gav.....can you tell what the difference in transmission tunnels is between the autos and manuals?

Pretty sure for the manual you need to cut out more of the trans tunnel hole. As seen here in the Wheeler Dealers special.

Watch here.

I've been told  as well (not sure if accurate) that auto trans tunnel is slightly wider, allowing slightly larger boxes to be used in a conversion.  Not measured but I doubt the truth in what I was told.  As Gav mentioned above (and mentioned in this thread http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/1378-step-by-step-how-to-auto-to-manual-conversion/)part of the tunnel needs to be trimmed suggesting the auto tunnel is actually slightly narrower!

No, tunnels all the same.

Different versions of gearbxes, ie 71A, 71B, then later 71C, had varying distances back to stick.

Auto trans run a rod from selector to box, these can be any length to suit the various floorpans /other model Nissans, they were fitted to.

If you want a fully restored, rust free, unmolested body 240Z, but with a lt of extra enhancements fitted,

Got one up here, asking $55k.

Saves you spending $30k on a rust bucket!

To dat2Kman thanks very much for the offer of your fully restored 240 but I am not prepared to spend that much.

I fully understand that you have probably spent that much or more but I am retired so have to be carefull.

Good luck with your search Bobby ...I spent about eighteen months looking....all the cars that I looked at had non original engines in them...the first one I found that was original I bought...it was a one owner 1973 car with original engine, wheels , hubcaps , steering wheel,  radio etc etc. The down side is  it was an auto but at that point I decided to do a manual conversion on it and the body, while honest, needs work.

I also got with the car a lot of panels and gearbox, R200 diff etc.

For what it matters I paid $9000 for the car and extra parts and have spent a bit more than that on new parts ...trim, suspension parts etc mostly from the US when our dollar was very strong and at this point I have an almost bare body shell.

The cars like the one you are looking for are about but increasing in price. There was a very original Jap import car from the '70's sold from near me last year and I think it went for somewhere  in the 30 kilodollars  so just keep looking.

The reason that I sent you a private message with a link to the advert was so that only you would see it at this stage. ...... pity I used my phone and didn't see that the add was a year old . :-\ now ...just where I did I leave my seniors card??

I'm retired also so I understand what you are saying about the money side of things 

thanks to dat2Kman for the heads up on the tunnel....I knew about the plate attached under cut out (photo attached ) and also that they don't have the clutch pedal stop.

post-101020-0-34344300-1463629099_thumb.jpg

No, tunnels all the same.

Different versions of gearbxes, ie 71A, 71B, then later 71C, had varying distances back to stick.

Auto trans run a rod from selector to box, these can be any length to suit the various floorpans /other model Nissans, they were fitted to.

If you want a fully restored, rust free, unmolested body 240Z, but with a lt of extra enhancements fitted,

Got one up here, asking $55k.

Saves you spending $30k on a rust bucket!

PM sent

• 4 weeks later...

Hello to all who tried to help me.

I have bought a 1976 260Z.

It is not a show car but was on club rego so it is something I can drive and fiddle with.

It has a Brown Davis aluminium roll bar in the back that I would like to sell and also an oil catch can and a spoiler on the front that I would like to sell as well .

Could someone explain step by step how do I put photos in this reply box so I can show what I have for sale.

• Administrators

Congrats on the new car Bobby!

Here's a thread explaining ways to attach photo's to your post  :)

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/1822-how-to-post-resize-images-on-auszcarcom/

Thanks for helping out but that is something I should have deleted as it is still in reference to the older forum software and I've raised some of the image size limitations from there.

In order to attach photos you'll need to use the "more reply options" button to get the "full editor".