Pitted Flywheel/pressure Plate

Andrew_L26

Hi all, Just purchased a flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and a few other parts and I was wondering if they are in usable condition. I'm not expecting much out of them but if I could get 5,000km's out of the clutch I'd be happy. The flywheel and everything is pictured below, the clutch has a small crack in it which is what I'm most worried about (thinking it could shatter etc.) I'm not worried about the life of it all as long as it's capable of getting me to places to get other things fixed (temp rego stuff) until I can sort it out properly or the clutch wears out totally.

Here are a few pictures.

post-103470-0-47581600-1458124038_thumb.jpg

Before I attacked it with steal wool and a little water (to stop those yummy asbestos fibres from flying everywhere)

post-103470-0-61595600-1458124062_thumb.jpg

Flywheel surface

post-103470-0-36558700-1458124088_thumb.jpg

Pressure plate (could be sanded and cleaned a bit more)

post-103470-0-12827400-1458124116_thumb.jpg

Clutch crack

As I said, I'm not worried as long as they will last a little bit and not damage the car or transmission

Let me know you're thoughts

Thanks

Andrew

PS. I'll stop spamming the gearbox section with questions now

PPS Is there any way to know If I have the correct pressure plate/throw out carrier combination?

I wouldn't use them in that condition.

I recommend you get the flywheel machined and use another clutch plate and pressure plate.

Personally I'd get a brand new clutch kit but I'm guessing cash is a bit thin so, get something second hand in better condition that what you've got.

Now here comes the sale ????

I got used clutch and pressure plates you can have for $40 if you're interested.

I swapped them for a new clutch kit when I did motor swap just over 2 years ago. No slipping or problems prior to removal.

Cheers

Mick

post-101810-0-64919300-1458127231_thumb.jpeg

post-101810-0-56792400-1458127319_thumb.jpeg

post-101810-0-75936100-1458127425_thumb.jpeg

post-101810-0-45285000-1458127529_thumb.jpeg

• Administrators

Yep Andrew, there is no way I'd use the current clutch set up you have as it is. The corrosion in the flywheel is something to behold! Never seen pitting like that in 1 before, I guess it was left in the weather for a while?

I will reply to your PM later.

But Cozza's kit looks like a win for the price if money is tight.

I wouldn't use them in that condition.

I recommend you get the flywheel machined and use another clutch plate and pressure plate.

Personally I'd get a brand new clutch kit but I'm guessing cash is a bit thin so, get something second hand in better condition that what you've got.

Now here comes the sale

I got used clutch and pressure plates you can have for $40 if you're interested.

I swapped them for a new clutch kit when I did motor swap just over 2 years ago. No slipping or problems prior to removal.

Cheers

Mick

Hey mate, thanks for the reply. I actually ended up going out and buying a new clutch/pressure plate this afternoon, I thought I might as well get a new one now rather then later. They are machining my flywheel for a really good price as I'm using them as my clutch supplier. I ended up getting a exedy oem replacement, I was considering getting the "Heavy Duty" version as I have plans to turbo my motor in the future however it was going to be about 170$ more expensive and the bloke working there said it's probably not worth it, giving only 30% more "grip"

Thanks for the offer though! If I didn't get a few extra dish washing shifts last week I would have jumped at it  ^-^

Yep Andrew, there is no way I'd use the current clutch set up you have as it is. The corrosion in the flywheel is something to behold! Never seen pitting like that in 1 before, I guess it was left in the weather for a while?

I will reply to your PM later.

But Cozza's kit looks like a win for the price if money is tight.

Yeah, I haven't either. The guy at my clutch and brake shop was pretty impressed too haha, at least I know it's definantly a Datsun part ;)

Thanks for your replies,

-Andrew

Also, I'm wondering how the throwout bearing carrier height, pressure plate height and gearbox all match up as I'm using a 76' 5 speed and an l28 flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing carrier. I assumed that the bearing carrier and pressure plate just had to match up (my two are out of the same unit) however I'm not 100% sure. Anyone know how it all works?

Andrew