Track Day Brake Pads For Hilux Calipers

I have Lurch's famous 4 pot Hilux caliper conversion on my 260z, im not sure what rotors I have but they are slotted.

I cannot find performance brake pads! They seem to only go from street to offroad.

At the moment I'm using repco cheapies that I can only go 2 laps before it feels like my brakes have been replaced with sponges.

Does any manufacturer make a 4 runner pad that operates comfortably at high tempratures?

I found that Brembo make a pad that fits (P83009) What pads does everyone use?

They are DB1149 size btw

I run Project Mu club spec pads from a Mazda E-FD3S in my hilux calipers with cross drilled and slotted vented rotors. No issues at all, the pads aren't cheap but they're bullet proof and have lasted me ages.

I have attached a pic of them compared to a hilux pad, if you want to use them you need to weld the holes and re drill them in a slightly different position to set the pads in exactly the same position as stock hilux ones.

I tried EBC (with solid rotors) green as well as yellow and both sets cooked at the track so much that huge chunks of material were cracking off.

Do you have anymore info on the brembo pad?

post-101023-0-78853600-1458000633_thumb.jpg

You can get EBC greens and yellows (yellows are ex US only) and Hawk blues in that size.

I've run all the above, the greens are on the edge, the yellows seem fine and the Hawks are good but lousy when cold (grabby).

Roger

I found the yellow stuff pads (DP4807) my local can get them for $230, is that good? is there somewhere online that can do better?

Thanks!

Agno/Jason, what's the temp specs on the LucasTRW pads? 

I have absolutely no Idea Gareth. I've been using them on my car along with Pentire Sin fluid for 4 years now (gone through 4 or 5 sets) on the street, bi-annual track days at Winton and various motorkhanas and I've never run out of brakes or felt them go spongy... and that's on the same pair of solid rotors!

Proper racing pads can go much higher than 700-750 temp wise Jason and in my experience they have much better bite than Lucas's which are quite a decent street pad. With the American ones I'm now using, braking distances have dropped noticeably, I can't understand why anyone with a race car would not be using a pad that would be potentially lowering lap times. Road and race is different though, the emphasis usually ends up on one use or the other. Most bitey race pads don't like cold rotors which can wear quite quickly and be noisy in that situation so watch out for that.

The Hawk Blues or HPS plus may also work for you.

Cheapest way to buy them is to get them from http://www.hawkpadsdirect.com/

If you get a couple of sets at a time then even with postage from the States it works out at about half price of most local retailers. Best I have got is four sets of pads for the $50 postage for HB100 pads for Wilwood Dynalite calipers, a reasonably small pad.

Also be prepared to do a bit of cross referencing, sometimes the Hawk numbering system doesn't match what we are used to, but they have a great catalogue that makes it reasonably easy to find what you need.

The only downside is you need to order a fair way in advance, I have had orders take two weeks to arrive and orders take six weeks, this also included being manufactured as well.

If you jump on the Hawk brakes website the tech guys will answer any questions about pad selection promptly and are great to deal with.

It is pretty difficult to get a good pad that works for both street and track, I know of a few guys in the MX5 clubs that have a separate set of pads and rotors for street and track duties as it is a relatively quick swap to do.

Upon reading the riginal post above, it strikes me that the requirement is for something a bit better than the Repco Cheapies, he s running.

The Hilux 4 pot pads area is a bit more than stock Z caliper, and will perform a bit better!

No mention of "race" pads, but plenty chimed in with "gotta get the big bucks jobbies" etc.

But forgot to kention the race types need pre-heating! Bit sill for road use, with the odd track day!

Pretty much all race pads turn to mush nce that 780 deg temp s sustained, which, mst here do not get anywhere near to those conditions.

( be lucky to do anymore than 4 fast laps, whch aint "race" !)

TRW pads are an awesome improvement. I also changed my brake fluids (It was dark, milky blue) with some Nulon high temp fluid. 

I got the brakes smoking at the local track, still great stopping power, although still quite a bit spongie, much better than the Repco pads.