Sign in to follow this  
TDoherty

Valve Adjustment Process - 240Z

To the collective brainstrust!

Can anyone help me with a step by step guide for the above process?

I last did this around 38yrs ago on my then 1600 so need a refresh please.

Tks Tony

there is a sequence if you use the repair manual, but I start at the front lobe and turn engine as each pointy end of the lobe is at the top adjust the clearance on that rocker, involves two complete turns of the motor to do all valves

there is a sequence if you use the repair manual, but I start at the front lobe and turn engine as each pointy end of the lobe is at the top adjust the clearance on that rocker, involves two complete turns of the motor to do all valves

Hi Linton,

Many thanks for your feedback!

My repair manual really isn't clear on the process and only really provides the clearance measures.

I've done a bit more searching and reading which has sufficiently jogged the memory so tomorrow is the day.

Cheers Tony

Another funny thing re valve clearances - all the 240 manuals I have show to measure between the cam and rocker, whereas the Haymes 260z manual shows to measure between the rocker and the lash pad.  I'm not sure where other people check clearance I do it at the lobe.

I followed fellow VicZCar user Adam's guide on his blog and adjusted my valve clearances yesterday arvo... Super easy.

https://twofortyzee.wordpress.com/2013/07/17/diy-adjusting-valve-clearances-on-an-l28-and-tuning-hitachi-su-carbs/

After reading his post I summarised the key points into a half page cheat sheet:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cam lobe 1 pointing up = Adjust 1, 3, 7, 11

"             " 4 pointing up = Adjust 4, 5, 10, 12

"             " 2 pointing up = Adjust 2, 6

"             " 8 pointing up = Adjust 8, 9

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

14mm nut = adjusting nut

17mm nut = locking nut

Turning nut counter clockwise = loosens locknut or tightens valve clearances

Intake valves set at: 0.20mm cold, 0.25mm hot

Exhaust valves set at: 0.25mm cold, 0.30mm hot

Be weary that the locking nut can sometimes turn the adjuster when turned (therefore changing valve clearances) so be sure to keep the 14mm spanner on the adjuster when you touch the lock nuts!
Edited by Agno