Andrew_L26

76 260Z Gearbox Slop

Hi all, I've just purchased a 5sp gearbox for a manual conversion and I've noticed it has a fair bit of side to side movement when in gear. The rest of the box feels quite tight but I do want to sort out this slop before I get it installed if possible.

I took out the "stopper pin" and it appears that could be the cause of the slop, or rather the groove that it sits in. Here is a photo from the factory service manual. I was wondering how this should be fixed, I was thinking that if I could get it out it could be welded up then ground down for a tight fit. I'm not 100% sure that this is the issue however all the shifter bushings are in good condition so I doubt it's them.

post-103470-0-98322900-1457830448_thumb.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrew

That is a cast part. Dfficult to weld.

I reckon most of the movement will be due to the old worn/compressed plastic bushes, and bottom plastic ball cup, on the gear lever.

Replace those and see how it is.

That is a cast part. Dfficult to weld.

I reckon most of the movement will be due to the old worn/compressed plastic bushes, and bottom plastic ball cup, on the gear lever.

Replace those and see how it is.

They seem fine and the movement isn't in the bushings but the whole unit itself, I'll look into it though

at the centre plate of the box there should be a 2 or 3 nuts the same size and 1 on the side, they hold some springs and ball bearings in place which keep the shafts in check, replace all of them. it may help and very cheap to replace

I have two gearboxes here on the floor. They both do what yours is doing....I think you'll find it's just normal play in the selectors.

at the centre plate of the box there should be a 2 or 3 nuts the same size and 1 on the side, they hold some springs and ball bearings in place which keep the shafts in check, replace all of them. it may help and very cheap to replace

That wnt take the mvement at the stick out.

The springs/balls only act on the detens on the three selector shafts.

With bx in neutral, these detents are not "loaded"