Challenge Bathurst 2016

24 Dat

Long time no show, also went to Bathurst but did the sprint.

One hell of a track! Although in my backyard, I have never completed the whole circuit or used hot tyres there.

Was in group A with some nasty cars, but also a hell of a lot of cars/ drivers that didn't know the track.

After first session I managed a 2.36 but had issues on straights, above 200km/h. At these speeds the whole car began vibrating badly like I had a uni joint on the way out.

Second session 2 laps in and went back to third and blew half of my pinion gear away in the diff. (was 3.9 LSD)

Being home was only 25mins away I jumped in my car and drove home to pick up my old trusty CIG locked 3.7 diff. Upon returning to track my ates had already pulled my old diff out so re-installed and only cost myself one session.

Next session, vibration still there, time 2.36. Vibration worrying me to try to go faster.

Last session for the day, 2.34. Bad vibration still but pushed a little harder with no adverse results.

Noticed after day had finished that my chin on my front spoiler was trying to part with spoiler. Maybe that was my vibration? Repaired that night.

Friday morning - first session. Damn still vibrating. 2.34-2.35

Second session - removed guerney lip from top of my ducktail thinking this may have been making the wind wrong.

Vibration not so intense but still there. 2.33

Last session - time to go! Finally figured that my vibration magically vanished over 250km/h. Recorded 259km/h on my timer. 230 on mountain straight.

did two consecutive laps at 2.29, second lap actually slowed and moved aside for skaifey in that BMW. By this stage my gearbox was terrible to deal with, would only downshift to 3rd at low revs and even the down to 4th at end of mountain straight and conrod could be terrible.

Ultimately I reckon with another 10 laps and a gearbox I would have been 2.26-27.

Now I watch this video and think its real lazy and slow, but trust me, in that seat it is scary as all hell.

Finally figured that my vibration magically vanished over 250km/h. 

Not sure if you fully resolved the vibration issue, however I have had a similar problem (though not at those high speeds lol) and in the end the vibration was coming from the driveshaft  - the vibrations first started after changing my diff for the first time. The problem was that I had reconnected the drive shaft 'upside down'. I unbolted the driveshaft at the diff and rotated the flange 180 degrees and that solved my problem for good :)

Hi all,

I think i have successfully uploaded my first video to youtube, not only that but it was also a spliced/stitched clip so i hope it comes out ok 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpYHH2_dIkw

This is of my best run of the weekend, far from perfect and i can only hope I'll improve for next year.

Thanks to all who came out and experienced the weekend and looking forward to seeing more of this forums members coming out next year to compete or to volunteer 

It was an amazing experience so please PM me is you want to be  a pat of it next year 

Cheers

Dave

Edited by 24 Dat

I don't  know what i've done wrong, but if you search on the youtube page, Challenge Bathurst 2016 last run,  it will come up. Gav, Locky        some moderator help would be appreciated 

Cheers

Dave

Yeah, yeah, its not a zed, but here's my attempt.

Just a touch slower than Dave, I need more power from the little L18 before I head back next time. And need to not brake way too early for Skyline....

Anyone else got videos / photos to share ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB1deET1l6I&t

Edited by 1600dave

Nice lines there Dave, good work.

I have quite a bit of front and back facing footage but the puter doesn't like it so for the moment......... I'd like to think that the project Z31 will be ready and tested for next year, right now I'm looking for a auto transmission package with engine braking, the idea is to transfer a sorted V8 powertrain package from the 280ZX into the Z31 when it's ready. It's being designed as a proper race car.