Opinions On Silvermine Lca's ?

Sirpent

Hi Johno, have you looked at David's front and rear arms yet? I have both front and the rears. The quality is excellent and the finish is available in Cad plated or powder coated. There a few guys using his.

I can't find the proper link to his for sale threads at the moment, perhaps try a PM to him (Zcar63). I have a pic of the rears but I can't find one for the fronts

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/14291-rear-control-arms/

post-101023-0-48406600-1456438961_thumb.jpg

post-101023-0-11591100-1456438985_thumb.jpg

Hi Garreth

I agree, from all I have read David's are great, but with the chassis Im constructing, I need rears with rose joints so as to hang them from the new LCA mount tubes I have incorporated.

Cheers

John

I don't have any experience with adjustable LCA's but as a structural engineer, here's my 2 cents.

Without knowing the forces involved it's difficult to be confident but, it looks to me like there should be a diagonal brace between the inner rose joints and the billet alloy section. I imagine there will be significant shear forces through the threaded rods where deflection/movement is possible. Any change in angle under load will effect your alignment geometry.

Again it depends on the loads and they vary with performance but I do notice most other LCA's have a diagonal brace of sorts.

I'm curious John, why do you require rose joints on the inside?

A photo speaks a thousand words.

Mick

I'm curious John, why do you require rose joints on the inside?

A photo speaks a thousand words.

Mick

Thanks for the thoughts Mick

As you will note by the chassis I am constructing, the original LCA mount points will no longer exist, I have added in permanant tubes which replace the LCA's normal mount tubes and therefore negate also any need to use bushes to mount LCA's to the body.

The rear construction of the chassis is far from complete and much more work needs to be completed so please don't think that it will stay this way.

taking the above into account, the path forward will involve using LCA's with rose joints so as mounting points can be welded to the new permanant tubes for mounting / radial movement of the LCA's.

The new mount tubes which are now fixed as part of the chassis structure are now part of the structural integrity of the rear and no longer a rotational part of the LCA's

Thoughts? 

post-100910-0-64379600-1456480529_thumb.jpg

post-100910-0-08012800-1456480531_thumb.jpg

post-100910-0-10475200-1456480532_thumb.jpg

post-100910-0-95164400-1456480608_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sirpent

Yeah, I can see your need for an altered mounting config.

I still think the LCA's would benefit from a diagonal brace from the inner pivot to the outer pivot points.

The benefit I envisage of a diagonal brace is to transfer accel / decel forces from the outer pivot to the inner pivot via tension/compression through the diagonal brace as opposed to shear and bending through the threaded rods.

Yeah, I can see your need for an altered mounting config.

I still think the LCA's would benefit from a diagonal brace from the inner pivot to the outer pivot points.

The benefit I envisage of a diagonal brace is to transfer accel / decel forces from the outer pivot to the inner pivot via tension/compression through the diagonal brace as opposed to shear and bending through the threaded rods.

Thanks for your input Mick

Think I may just come up with a design myself taking into account the very valid points you raised and have them fabricated instead.

After reading your post I started thinking that an alignment of 3 rod ends on the chassis mounting bars would allow me to "web" the arm so as to have a more perpendicular and diagonal transfer of forces from the hub mounts to the inner rear and a 3rd central rod end.

Cheers

John