Best Car Covers

ultrasuede

• Moderators

Hi

What about tempoary garage ?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/marquee-3-x-6m-non-permanent-party-pavilion-gazebo_p3190687

A mate of mine put one in his back yard 12 months back and it has worked very well

Just a different idea

Cheers

PB

We import Auto-Pyjama car covers from Germany.  Mainly indoor covers, buy you could put a cheap outdoor cover over it for added protection.

http://www.affordableclassics.com.au/accessories/car-covers/auto-pyjama?product_id=56.  

i have stock in blue at the moment.

• Administrators

I've heard that the "Noah" covers are meant to be really good.

http://www.covercraft.com/cartlink/index.php?cust_id=covercraft&prod_id=ccnh

I haven't had any first hand experience with them yet though. I was thinking of getting 1 for my RX-7 which mostly sits in a garage.

I've heard that the "Noah" covers are meant to be really good.

http://www.covercraft.com/cartlink/index.php?cust_id=covercraft&prod_id=ccnh

I haven't had any first hand experience with them yet though. I was thinking of getting 1 for my RX-7 which mostly sits in a garage.

If you're looking for an indoor cover Gav, I'll have an Auto-Pyjama Satin in stock for your RX-7.  They've been around in Europe for 40 years and have been voted "Best Product" by Classic and Sportscar Magazine amongst others.

I use a cheap cover and the temporary car cover PB mentioned. I am not entirely happy about it and the car does get wet. If you got a decent cover it might help but if any of it touches the floor the water will run up etc. I don't have a choice at the moment but as mentioned in the other post i would recommend reinforcing the carport and tying down the cover to ensure it doesn't fly away or fall apart.

Maybe a big tent might be a better solution :P

The Bowdens Own guys dont use any car covers at all, they dont reccomend them at all!!
They say that even the cleanest cover will still wear against the paintwork, and this is even inside their showroom/warehouse/garage/museum whatever you wanna call it.

Obviously, the best cover for your car is one that doesnt touch the paint, So, one of those inflatable car bubble things, or next best is a temp carport with enclosed sides (make sure its secured down well) then one of the fleece lined soft covers, then an indoor cover with an outdoor cover over it, then a good outdoor cover, then a cheap cover, then nothing.

All depends on your budget and how good your paintwork is.
For 90% of people, anything from a good outdoor cover or better will be fine.
The cheap covers are a decent short term solution, but they deteriorate in the sun.
Also, bear in mind it is really hard to remove, fold, store and then refit an outdoor cover without picking up dirt and crap onto the inside lining, even with multiple people, unless your doing it inside a warehouse type environment like Classicman's storage place.
This may limit how often you can use the car...

• 3 years later...

I wanted to add my 2 cents worth to this discussion thread. After doing my research I purchased a Covercraft car cover for both my 240-Z and my Torana in the "Noah" fabric. When the cover for my 240-Z arrived, it had two mirror pockets in it, one on either side where the doors are. I had to send it back as my car has the front fender mounted mirrors...so lesson 1 here in ordering from them is to be VERY specific regarding things like this. One thing which is my fault as I didn't think of it is that the Torana has a exterior black plastic louver on the rear window, no allowance as made for this and hence I am unable to have the louver fitted to the car with the cover on.

Second gripe, the cover damaged the chrome on my bumper. Periodically green oxidation muck would form on the chrome bumper where the cover touched the bumper and I had to continually polish it off; it ended up slightly pitting the fresh chrome on the bumper. I have the bumpers covered in cotton summer weight bedsheets now in several folded layers prior to placing the cover on and it now protects the chrome.

I hope someone out there finds this info useful PRIOR to ordering the Covercraft cover. It is a good cover, but be careful ordering please.

I bought a cover from Classicman and received a fairly priced quality product that was an excellent fit for my Zed which lives in a dry protected sealed shed with no moisture to speak of. The shed heats up during each day with clear roof sheets in part of the structure. There is no wind movement so no rubbing on the paint. The fabric feels great. The service and communications I received were outstanding.

If I was to have less shelter provided by the structure, or if I had a bigger budget or a hugely valuable car, I would be thinking of investigating a Carcoon Car Cover that can come with a air circulation unit. Searched Ebay with this name and I saw several variants are available for up to $2500 landed in Australia. One of their offerings is a double skinned outdoor cover.

Australian shop for Carcoon https://www.carcoon.com.au/

The Bunnings offering is tempting but I would only be tempted to use it as an additional shelter within another shelter.

FWIW

Dave