Restoration Project - Hs30-101368

Classicman

Hi

So I bought another 240Z.  This was the car that was in Qld (Gumtree) a while back, and it only arrived today.  At first glance its not too bad, although there is some rust in the floor.  Its all there though, numbers matching and the dash is uncracked, which is important to me.

She comes with the original service books and a Finance agreement dated 1 Jan 1976, so it looks as though I am the third owner.  The recorded kms in 1976 were 38,737km, so she was well used in the first three years of her life.  She was delivered as an orange car and has had a crappy layer of white paint which is peeling off all over the place.  I think she is a solid enough car for a restoration project and will be getting the same treatment as my '73 Zimbabwe car.

The plan is to give her a going over here, order all of the parts, stick her and the parts into a container and ship to my guys in South Africa for the Restoration job.  All told, Im guessing the car will take 8-9 months before she is back again and driving around Canberra.

Here are a few photos to star with, and there are some concerns here that I would appreciate some input on please, namely:

1.  Right rear lower suspension member seems like rust has got to it - repair or replace?

IMG_0277_zpsplrjkckz.jpg

2. Left front chassis rail (dog-leg?) also looks a bit rusted, are these replaceable?

IMG_0279_zpsbanzvswj.jpg

3. Both front floor pans need to be replaced, but sills look good.

IMG_0278_zpsqqgarr1p.jpg

4. The sump guard / bash-plate has seen better days....

IMG_0280_zpsztsda9jl.jpg

5. The bonnet catch is faulty and will need replacing.  They have drilled trough the bonnet about midway up on both sides and mounted bonnet pins on the strut turrets :-(

IMG_0281_zps9htuen7p.jpg

IMG_0282_zps4bc9mw28.jpg

For the rest though, the car isn't too bad.  Definitely worse than the last one, but very, very saveable:

IMG_0283_zpsojrrq8lh.jpg

IMG_0284_zpsvcor1n80.jpg

IMG_0285_zpsczttuouq.jpg

IMG_0286_zpsplt4k4nb.jpg

Lastly, are windscreens available locally, or will I need to import?

So, I'm guessing this is going to be quite a drawn out build thread, but I'll keep updating as I go along.

• Administrators

Nat0 was doing chassis rails see this thread here:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/9634-240z-260z-replacement-engine-bay-floor-rails-now-available-sa/

You can probably beat the under tray into shape again. Getting harder to source these now.

Does the radio work? If so please sell it to me. That is all :)

Nat0 was doing chassis rails see this thread here:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/9634-240z-260z-replacement-engine-bay-floor-rails-now-available-sa/

You can probably beat the under tray into shape again. Getting harder to source these now.

Does the radio work? If so please sell it to me. That is all :)

I tried the radio this morning and it does seem to work, although it doesn't seem to lock onto any stations.  That may have something to do with the coat-hanger arial though lol.  The auto-search function is quite cool, hahaha.  Sorry Gav, not selling the radio.

Wow, big resto job there !! I looked at the add for this car long and hard, and even tried to buy this car from the seller !! but I just didn't like the "Dutch Auction" way of doing buisness he was trying to do. I think the car has gone to the right person with the contacts that you have for restoration, will be good looking car when finished !!

Wow, big resto job there !! I looked at the add for this car long and hard, and even tried to buy this car from the seller !! but I just didn't like the "Dutch Auction" way of doing buisness he was trying to do. I think the car has gone to the right person with the contacts that you have for restoration, will be good looking car when finished !!

Yeah, just placed an order for US$6k worth of parts, and thats not everything I need :-(

I didn't like the way they handled the "auction" either, first time I've come across that......

Thanks Retro Z.  I bought one from them on eBay on Friday and collected it in Canberra this morning.  Great service!

The screen ahas the broad black border around the edge like modern windscreens though.  Not too happy with that....