Progress Update On The 71

Not been on for a while, so if anyone's interested here's my update.

Recap... Bought the orange 71 car from Fourways in UK. Australia import. Traced back to Mick, near Melbourne, second owner (first was his brother in Syndney). Great condition. Non rusty RHD. Rare !

Work done to date. Gearbox was making a thud in 3rd gear on power on/off and synchro 2nd and 3rd worn. Gearbox out, mechanic fixed shaft issue and swapped around the synchro - now all sweet. Cam oil sprayer blocked, now clear. New shocks all round - transformed handling. Smaller tyres fitted, transformed steering. Lots of cleaning. New seat covers about to be fitted.

Now having bare metal respray. Getting there! Will update again if anyone's keen

post-104312-0-04652600-1454484444_thumb.jpeg

post-104312-0-93732000-1454484466_thumb.jpeg

post-104312-0-19297100-1454484508_thumb.jpeg

• Administrators

You are more brave than I, I would have left it patina for a bit and enjoyed it. New paint means you have to be careful and the first couple of stone chips always hurt.

Thanks Gav. I would normally leave paint and go with originality. However, the car had been poorly repainted in 2000, and then with 15 years of sun, there was micro blistering all over the car. It looked good at 5 paces, but blisters not great.

My painf shop said it had to get back to bare metal in order to guarantee future quality. So it you go. In for bare metal it went.

As you can see from photos, the car is remarkably free of any rust. Some light metal work, but nothing much. It's going to look decent when finished. But you are right, I'll need to be careful with it when done.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Hi,

Great news that nothing scary was hiding under the paint. Looks pretty darn good.

Looking forward to seeing it with nice new paint.

Cheers

PB

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Not sure it was quick... 6 months in paint shop. But they did a great job.

It goes to a pro photographer next week, to feature in a classic car book.

Keep us posted when it is featured.

I've spent 6 months plus on a single panel. ;). Of course I'm learning so that's part of the reason. But yeah wish my bodywork/paint was done in 6 months.

Wow that was fast and it looks amazing. I'm away from home sitting at dinner wishing I was closer to my 240.

Thanks for the inspiration. Might get an early flight tomorrow :-).

Jeff

Please Jeff - JFDI...

I guess I cheated a bit by getting a professional body shop to do the work for me. The good thing was that the car started as a rust free example. All the parts came off easily and went back on.

The cool thing is, I emailed yesterday the Australian previous owner (Mick) with some photos. He loves the job I've done. I'm chuffed to bits...

G

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, very. I borrowed a set that were brand new, out of the box, never been on a car...

I personally preferred the mini lites, but journalist/photographer insisted we go with originality, which is fair enough (and proper).

I'll give details of the book when published.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not ... Or hopeful not.

This is the car I saw on the same web site 2 months ago - and just 'had to buy' - 32k miles, mint.

I've overdrafted all my accounts to get the 911... So find myself totally skint. If I don't get an offer very close to my asking price then I'll find a way to keep it - and just not eat or drink for the next 6 months!

It's 80% likely I'll be able to keep the Z. Still working on Mrs T !

G

post-104312-0-54917600-1467098123_thumb.jpeg