Rear Control Arms ( Transverse Links )

PeterH

There are early and late versions of these listed in the parts book and also mentioned online. Can any one tell me what the difference is? I've searched on here but didn't find an answer ( I am elderly ) and also an online search. My car is a 1973 car and my spares are off a 260Z...they both measure up the same. The only difference that I can tell from photos is the the later ones may  be a bit wider in the inner part of the "legs" of the arm.

Can any one answer this for me.

Pete

Iirc, the very early 240Z had the diff set a bit forward, and the half shafts were angled back, noticeably!

It would seem that Nissan jst changed the moustache bar shape, and the front lower diff mount, to "pull" the diff back (1970 cars)

The rear arms i have seen, some with no sway bar drop link hole, but lts more with the sway bar hole.

Guessing the early ones had no rovsion?

All wlooked to have same shape/location of inboard/outboard mounting points.

Maybe explains part number differences?

Thanks for that....It won't affect any thing that I'm doing, but I was just curious. I know that the rear member that the links mount to was straight in the early ones and curved in the later ones. The parts manual lists them up 6/71but list the early links up to 7/73.

Looks like I have a set of spares that are correct for the car.

i can't remember the thread but I do remember posts on this site relating to the weight of rear control arms. They varied significantly from memory.

I know that doesn't answer your question but MAY?? suggest that the variants are significantly different.

This

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/11329-adjustable-rear-control-arm/page-2

Hi guys/gals

i have a question for those better informed than me.I weighed one of my OEM rear lower control arms on certified scales at work,it came in at 4.74kg each .I then weighed another arm from a spare pair of arms i have under the bench and got 4.64kg .Another member here has one which is 3.6 kg, does this come from a specific model?or year of manufacture?

Cheers David

Just weighed a few LCA's on the kitchen scales. 1. Completely bare 3.45kg's

2. Both outer bushes 1 inner bush 3.8kg's

3. Both outers and both inners including bolts 4.45 kg's

Edited by Cozza

That has pretty well answered my question..... the ones that are not on my car ( came off a 260Z ) weigh 4.3 kgs. completely bare and blasted free of paint etc.( my scales could be a bit out )  I looked through the link that you posted  ( don't know why I didn't find it myself ) and it covers what I wanted to know.

Thanks for your help

I had a set of rear arms off a '76? 2+2 here at one time & while geometrically the same as far as I could tell were slightly different in construction detail to the ones I have on my early 2-seat. So that would explain the part number differences if nothing else. Maybe the 2+2 ones are a heavier gauge steel as they could carry more load, and/or maybe Nissan improved them just as they made other changes to the S30 or 260 rear suspension over time.