260Z /280 Z. 2 Seater - Race, Tarmac, Rally Or Road

dat2kman

Don't follow Jason, why downshift if the car is carrying good speed in 5th in which situation downshifting inevitably slows the car. I notice that some historic drivers use the gears a lot, sometimes apparently to slow the car, and honestly don't follow how that improves lap times. It looks busy but busy is not always the fastest.

Edited by 260DET

Richard, you can't drive a Zed through turn one flat with the allowable aero for Group S or Marque Sports. Ask me how I know........

With a RX7 Bird bath spoiler my Zed could be driven flat, with the standard bob tail, as Jason said, a dab of brakes, back to fourth, and drive it out of the corner was way faster.

And my car, running slicks had much better mechanical grip than a Group S car. Best speed I was recorded at was 187km/h near the apex just past the flag point at pit exit by the guys on the radar gun for pit lane. As a firie at the time I knew most of the officials and they took a bit of an interest in what the i and the car was doing for the series down there.

In terms of driving tips, i would probably listen to Jason a bit more than you Richard, he seems to have a little experience in these things and knows what makes them goes fast around a track.

Edited by PZG302

Better tell Steve the driver here not to go through turn 1 in 5th then, not me, I'm just observing. And as I was faster around Lakeside than you and Jason plus the experience of knowing how the faster still blokes like Neville in a 260Z went I think my comments have some validity. 

From what I can see, Steve drove extremely well.

Can't we just enjoy the vids without giving driving tips?

We don't know what the condition of the poor old 195/60/14 r-rated tyres were.

We don't know what were around and behind him, often how you drive in a race depend on the cars in front, besides and behind you. It's a race of 30+ cars and not a sprint.

Matty, He cant help himself, can he!

And referencing two cars that have no comparison, one a turbocharged V6 Sports Sedan, the other a 4.1 litre Sports Sedan!

Neither of which actually race, let alone have experienced EC T1 ! ( sphincter pucker suction marks on seat bases ! )

Prior to Retro, Steve did a test day at EC to dial into it, got a text from him, he was very pleased, and improved his PB by some 4 secnds!

Years of Group S Alfa racing certainly shows experience and ability to give it some, and push it hard, as seen by a few touches of oppy lock!

Bloody good to see it going hard!

Brett, James F and I have spoken plenty re the elegibilty of stuff, and getting stuff accepted, we just have to use what we can

Noticed the ex Rob Switzer Black/Silver ( recently Gp S Lgbooked, but not raced) 260 was running regularity in the hands of Kyle Alford ( Donut Tony's young fella) hopefully he'll move up into Group S ranks!

Jason,

thanks fore the comments re the turn one at EC gear used. The car was 100rpm off the rev limiter at the 50m mark. I gave the brakes a gentle brush and gently trail braked to just short of the apex - trying to save the brakes  for turn 2. The car felt like 4th was too low to use here - not too sure though and I will try an a practice day using 4th. Also the front right tyre was shagged all weekend - I actually had to use badly scuffed backs each race and managed to destroy five front right tyres (two ended on canvas). The biggest issue was understeer going in at turn 5 and the old turn 9; the ARDC insist that if all four wheels cross the outside line then a 5 sec penalty applies. The Shelby in front of me earned 35 sec penalty in the last race. The oversteer coming out of 4 and 9 was easy to control and perhaps was a function of a big right foot with a lot of lock on. I played with tyre pressures at the front and what I though were ridiculously low pressures seem to work better, but by the time I worked this out the track temps had dropped and the tyres back and front were very sad.  By the way the brake issue is interesting - I warped a set on Friday practice and cracked a set on Saturday. Had to get a little less enthusiastic on Sunday and the brakes held up in the two long races.

Just a bit more footage from the weekend from another Z, in Regularity.  The chap in the E type was lucky to escape with a tiny bit of blue paint on his front guard after the Mustang apparently blew his clutch!

I discovered after the event that some porkers are known to lift mid corner to balk the guy behind. Doesn't work for me as I wasn't ready and had the peddle flat to the floor.