The Global Z-car (S30/S130) Market Thread.

gav240z

• Administrators
11 hours ago, RAP260 said:

Obviously, no longer for sale. But interested in people's thoughts regarding the final price. 

Considering it had a 260z rear valance panel and looks to have it's fair share of body filler in it. That's a good result.

Also not sure how HS30 it still is.. more like HLS30..these days.

• Administrators

• Administrators

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Datsun-Z-Series/192682345996

Current bid:US $22,601.00

1971 Datsun 240Z.  The last of the series one car is for sale.  Anyone who has owned a 240 knows what an incredible driving experience this japanese import offers.  This particular car is no exception.  I'm a huge vintage mustang /Ford collector and was drawn to this car, probably because it's a Pete Brock design.  When I started to source this car about six years ago one of my criteria was no rust.  I have heard about these cars rusting just by looking at rain.  I found this car out of Colorado and rolled the dice that it was a rust free car.  Well this car exceeded my expectations when it arrived.  There isn't a speck of rust on it.  The undercarriage is the most rust free I have ever seen on a car.  (I have owned a lot of cars).  I was also pleasantly surprised to see a large folder full of receipts, original paper work, etc. resting on the passenger seat.  Back in the day it roamed the streets in Glendale, CA and eventually made it's way to Colorado.  I even have the receipt for the first oil change and "check up".  It was evident that this car has been a "special car" to the past owners.  It still retains the "D" hub caps.  

Body:
Completely rust free with one respray (original color, silver).  A nice driver quality paint but not perfect.  I know of three imperfections (chips).  BTW, I own a restoration shop and I'm pretty picky about paint.
All original metal and still shows the spot welds with pride.
The bumpers have been enhanced/ played with over the years.  I have the aftermarket "bumper bar" for the back to match the front.

Undercarriage:
Amazing.  Completely rust free.  Take a look at the photos.  I'm serious, it's incredible. No undercoating to hide anything.  It's honest.  The spare tire area is also rust free on both sides (topside and underneath).

Suspension:
The car needed new tie rods when I bought it.  I replaced them with Nissan parts.  I also put new springs and shocks in the car.  I still have the original springs.  I also bought a set of minilites and new tires that are available for sale (15").

Engine:/ Engine compartment:
The engine compartment still has the original paint.  While it's a little dirty, it's rust free.  (See photos).  The engine runs strong, partly due to the triple webers that the PO installed.  I still have the original dual carbs, air cleaner, and METAL fan.  The engine does leak a little, nothing major, you don't have to fill it up with oil or anything.  A good cleaning/ detailing would do wonders for the engine bay.  

Interior:
The interior is still very original.  Seats, carpet, dash, everything is original.  There is one slit on the passenger side seat bun and a small crack on the dash.  It's also missing the radio.  I do have a new seat cushion for the passenger side where it's damaged.  I think a good upholstery shop can repair the existing bun...  It does not have the original radio.

Conclusions:
It's a great car!  I love driving it and I don't think you will find a more rust free 240 out there. I'm asking strong money for it because it's in an upward trend market and because it's such a fine example.  It's not perfect but it's super cool.  I'm selling it because I have too many cars and not enough stalls to comfortable store them all.  If I don't get my reserve then I will find room and wait until next year.  I'm confident the value will be $4000-5000 higher next year.  The same thing happened with my 911.  I'm above all the "seller tricks and half truths" so if you want to give me a call I will walk you through to make sure you are comfortable what you are bidding on.  I'm not ending the auction early for this one.  If you want the car then please bid on it.  I'm sure you will be happy with it.  My goal is to align your expectations with the car.  An informed bidder typically makes a smooth transaction.  That's what I want.  

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Administrators

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Mazda-R100-1969/SSE-AD-5715389

$22,500*

1969 Mazda R100 M10A Manual

Seller's Comment
MAZDA R100 SHELL WITH TAGS
DOES HAVE RUST BUT NOT TOO FAR GONE THATS FOR SURE
RUST IN BOTH REAR QUATERS
RUST IN BOOT FLOOR
AND OTHER LITTLE SPOTS
What you see in the pics is what comes with the car as I havent had time to start collecting parts.
Pretty much just a shell missing a bonnet and boot
Regretfull sale as I just dont have time to complete this

3veprr44wmqgps8u0qindol1c.jpg?pxc_method

4pggcxd7355xx0805l4owb0fi.jpg?pxc_method

51tfr8729ax1se57726oum7od.jpg?pxc_method

3veprr44wmqgps8u0qindol1c.jpg?pxc_method

• Administrators

North American market HLS30 gets $42,000 USD on BAT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-datsun-240z-64/

Same seller has been working on a Safari Gold 240z that I believe will Trump this car "bigly"..

• 2 weeks later...

as i know some like their Mazda's
'71 Mazda R100
"Has been in storage since 1991. Plastic still on door trims. Original twin distributer 10A rotary. PLEASE CLICK ON SALE INFO TAB TO VIEW VIDEOS. Marks, dents, scratches, Import papers provided;"

(Mores pics in link)
http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0006-7730203/motor-vehiclesmotor-cycles/1971-mazda-r100-familia-presto-rotary-gs-manual-coupe?spr=true

imagehandler.ashx?t=sh&id=19178318&ts=63\

imagehandler.ashx?t=sh&id=19178315&s=gl&imagehandler.ashx?t=sh&id=19178305&s=gl&

imagehandler.ashx?t=sh&id=19178312&s=gl&

• Administrators

That r100 must have failed to sell, it was listed a couple of weeks ago and got to around $67k.

http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0006-7729701/motor-vehiclesmotor-cycles/1971-mazda-r100-familia-presto-rotary-gs-manual-coupe

Someone else flagged some issues...

It seems that there was a number of issues flagged with it, it had the later style straight dashboard which was a JDM only thing. Then there was the high-spec garnishes on the rear tail lamps (didn't match the dashboard spec) and apparently it was being sold alongside some other early rotary cars that were all painted up for auction (closed door style re-spray jobs).

So it seems like that may have limited it's value / bidding activity.

Maybe the new buyer is not happy with it? Or cannot afford it.

20 minutes ago, gav240z said:

That r100 must have failed to sell, it was listed a couple of weeks ago and got to around $67k.

http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0006-7729701/motor-vehiclesmotor-cycles/1971-mazda-r100-familia-presto-rotary-gs-manual-coupe

Someone else flagged some issues...

It seems that there was a number of issues flagged with it, it had the later style straight dashboard which was a JDM only thing. Then there was the high-spec garnishes on the rear tail lamps (didn't match the dashboard spec) and apparently it was being sold alongside some other early rotary cars that were all painted up for auction (closed door style re-spray jobs).

So it seems like that may have limited it's value / bidding activity.

Maybe the new buyer is not happy with it? Or cannot afford it.

Interesting.....it is an import which could explain the dashboard. But definitely odd it is back for auction

• Administrators

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Datsun-Z-Series-/264012936024?_ul=AU

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Selling 1969 Datsun 240 Z. This was going to be a vintage FIA race car. I have other projects so it is up for sale. (Not part of this auction, I also have a complete 1969 engine that is a ERA correct engine for someone needing a replacement for their 69 car). If your looking to build a truly correct vintage 240z race car this is the car you want. The earliest American “Historic” 240z Race Cars were 1969 models. John Morton’s BRE championship winning #46 car was serial number 00492  Bob Sharp’s 240z was 00006. The car is very rusty, It comes with replacement quarters, a replacement roof and everything else pictured. There are no hinges on the doors or hood. I have been involved with Datsun’s for over 20 years and I can help someone source parts for this build. The previous owners did all the metal work that needs to be undone. Car comes with registration from a state that doesn’t use titles. Please contact me with any and all questions.
This car is located in North Carolina. 

I can send more photos if requested.

Email me with questions

Thanks for looking!

• Administrators

• Administrators

Here is 1 worth watching.

Safari Gold Barn Find.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-69/

5bd8bbbc3ae48_datsun_240z_15395598087860

1971_datsun_240z_1539203789e7dff9f98764d

1971_datsun_240z_153920380198764daE03275

1971_datsun_240z_1539562758b4090eba4df58

1971_datsun_240z_1539560240860010a58b404

1971_datsun_240z_15395606760eba4df58edcF

This 1971 Datsun 240Z was sold new and serviced until 1980 by Bankston Datsun in Irving, Texas, and was acquired by the selling dealer a year ago following 38 years of storage in a barn. A subsequent refurbishment included a glass-out repaint in Safari Gold, reupholstering the seats with new foam and covers, as well as refreshments of the suspension and braking systems. Power is from a 2.4L straight-six which was partially disassembled and inspected before being fitted with a new timing chain, gaskets, and more. This 240Z is offered with records, over 600 photos documenting the refurbishment process, and a clean Oklahoma title.

• Administrators

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/slacks-creek/cars-vans-utes/1972-datsun-sss-1600-510-genuine-and-original/1198302237

Datsun 510 SSS for sale.

1972 Datsun SSS 1600 510 Genuine and Original
$29,900

s-l800.webp

1972 Datsun SSS 1600 510 Genuine and Original WHAT A FIND! A original Datsun SSS 1600 EX South Africa Really clean Has had paint restored / blow over Original inside and out and rare SSS and in this condition Unfortunately We don't have the original wheels.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/classicnotplasticcars/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1908161642600392

• Administrators

https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d/1971-datsun-240z/6739212965.html

1971 Datsun 240Z - $21000 (Moorpark)

00505_gceOD42DH7c_600x450.jpg00C0C_9gxVsxbb5UI_600x450.jpg00808_cSYIVdV9Dne_600x450.jpg00f0f_j0QytY4A1vd_600x450.jpg00T0T_sDm5yuK7gG_600x450.jpg00K0K_b20nCfQQoMV_600x450.jpg00a0a_jGeT6qps2gJ_600x450.jpg

1971 Datsun 240Z , Made in Feb. 1971. 71,000 original miles. Slight rust on the dogs legs otherwise a solid original car. Runs, rides and shifts beautifully

• Administrators

I thought it would get to $60k..but perhaps a little early for that or perhaps if a few of the minor details were more correct it would have gone even higher?

3 hours ago, gav240z said:

perhaps if a few of the minor details were more correct it would have gone even higher?

From memory they quoted the car had the original factory markings however it seems as part of the restoration they "lost" these and then recreated the factory paint markings - how "correct" is doing that?

7 hours ago, gav240z said:

I thought it would get to $60k..but perhaps a little early for that or perhaps if a few of the minor details were more correct it would have gone even higher?

Supply of cars like that - which the vendor seems to be picking up, doing a bit of work on, and then putting on BaT - will soon dry up. I still think it costs far more to properly restore one of these cars than they are changing hands for, so the fuss over 50k USD for a nice, relatively early and relatively correct car seems a bit misplaced to me. Why weren't they worth more in the USA before now? I think we can guess why...

But some of the self-congratulatory 'banter' in the Bring-a-Trailer comments section for that car is vomit-inducing. One of the under-bidders apparently has a 'portfolio' of over 80 cars and refers to his Ferraris as "4rEs". Jesus wept, what an utter COCK.

The moderators at BaT seem to love these kind of people (guess why...) and it all starts to look like the wrong type of clique, with an echo-chamber of comments all supporting their own skewed views and any attempt at correction pre-moderated and deleted. MAN THE LIFEBOATS I say. It might be time to get off the boat.  

3 hours ago, AndBir said:

From memory they quoted the car had the original factory markings however it seems as part of the restoration they "lost" these and then recreated the factory paint markings - how "correct" is doing that?

People like you (and me!) who are willing to ask such questions will be shouted down, because $$$ talk. Once a hard core of these 'portfolio' type faux enthusiast investors and their acolytes say it's right, then it WILL be right. That's the way it goes. Happens in the art and antiques world all the time, so when values go up - truth goes out of the original 18th Century triple glazed UPVC window.