L28 Rebuild

C.A.R.

but I'm getting the impression you're the forum's engine guru.

Thanks, but no.

I'm learning FROM the guru ;)

How do you check for distributor drive spindle wear and it's float? Do you often have issues with the drive gear being worn?

It's getting very hard to find a good condition 2nd hand drive spindle & worm drive - even the latest ones are approaching 30 years old!

The spindle drive gears develop obvious wear marks on the front & back of the teeth. The top & bottom 'tangs' end up with wear marks on their edges too.

This induces ignition 'scatter' & can have an effect of an L6's rough running & economy.

Spindle float is noticeable when you install the spindle, oil pump & gasket into the timing case, then move the spindle up & down.

If it moves noticeably (like 2 - 3 mm), you need to shim it.

If it has three fifth's of FA movement it's all good.

Excessive float also has an effect on ignition scatter & timing.

FWIW Stewart at SW Motorsport sells new Nissan spindles & works type brass worm drive... ;)

Edited by Lurch ™

Haha! Lurch, you're a modest man. You give me the impression too that you're genuinely passionate about your craft and care about your clients. It's a pity you're not in brisbane as we're looking for someone to restore our car.

Your comments about the distributor are resonating with me given the dramas I had today in trying to source one (which I did with the help of several members). Regds

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I should probably ad that this engine was installed into the owners 240Z a few months ago and since than has since had it's first oil change, tappets adjusted & the carb. mixtures adjusted.

Owner is over the moon as it starts first time - every time, gets great economy & has more grunt than he has ever had before ;)

• PB260Z unpinned this topic