Removing Tailshaft From Gearbox

RLY240

This might seem like an odd question but I'm having trouble separating a Tailshaft and gearbox.

The combo is a 5 speed with 3.3 first so probably a 280zx but it's connected to a two piece shaft.

On my rally car the Tailshaft just slips out of the gearbox, the box looks exactly the same as mine but the yoke won't come out. It floats about 5-10mm but stops with a clunk. I've seen the early flange type 240 boxes but this isn't that.

If anyone can suggest a solution that would be great as I don't want to damage it but can't see an obvious solution. Any advice appreciated.

Roger

th_6c83c712cea0cfd8dc08727e8055cf64.jpg

• Moderators

Hi Roger

There is no extra locknut or anything, it is just stuck.

I have seen this once I twice before, usually caused by damage to the output shaft or yoke.

You will need to find a way to apply more force. Disassemble the front the uni and puting a slide hammer across the centreline can work. The challenge is, to much force and you can damage the box

Out of interest what vehicle did the box and shaft come out of ?

Good Luck.

Edited by PB260Z

Guess I need a bigger hammer then...

Box came out of a 240 that was quite a mess, one rear quarter was early (no vent) but it had the toolboxes, gearshift hole had been cut forwards to accomodate this box so it wasn't original to the car, must have been raced at some point as all the lower arms were plated as were the engine mounts and there was a brace joining the rails together.

When I got it the roof had been removed and the chassis number cut out so the original identity is probably lost forever.

Roger