Jdm Fairlady Z S30/s31

locklock

Hi,

Ive been searching around for the above model specs, but couldn't find much info.

Do they come with L24/L26 engines? Or all of them comes in L20 engines?

I know there are fairlady zl, fairlady zt etc.. What are the differences?

Alan would know best, but basically they came with:

Fairlady Z: 2.0 litre L6

Fairlady 240Z: 2.4 litre L6

Fairlady Z 432: S20 2.0 litre 6 cylinder

I dont think they had the L26 or L28 in the S30/S31 chassis in the JDM.

Some reading homework:

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=cXU5yEyuGOoC&pg=PA96&lpg=PA99&dq=1977+fairlady+Z-T&source=bl&ots=ADiHsUmpEo&sig=xpGUudUhagdE2W_MCWhnaydbzik&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjiy6i1q7_JAhWk2KYKHZ3NCRQQ6AEIPjAJ#v=onepage&q=1977%20fairlady%20Z-T&f=false

• Administrators

Craig is correct, the Fairlady 240Z-L is quite rare, as most opted for the homologation special with the G-nose extension and fender flares. The Fairlady 240Z-L and Fairlady 240ZG were introduced in 1971, the home market didn't get the 2.4ltr until a year after export markets.

My knowledge of later cars isn't great (S130Z's), but I believe in Japan the 2.8ltr arrived with the Fairlady 280z.

The S130, what we know as the 280ZX, was available in Japan with a 2.0 L6 or a 2.8 L6. They went by various names, Fairlady 200Z and Fairlady 280Z. Not sure if the ZX was used in that market.

Ahhh got it. Thanks for clarifying :)

To further refine the clarifications:

L24-engined Fairladies came in three varieties: Fairlady 240Z, Fairlady 240Z-L and Fairlady 240ZG. All shared the 'HS30' prefixed body serial number sequence.

No L28 engine in Japanese domestic S30/S31-series line up. They had to wait for S130-series for that.

Differences? Big subject....

How long were the Fairlady 240Z variants produced, from 1971 right up until 1977?

I cant recall ever seeing pictures of one, but I would imagine there would be Fairlady 240Z/L/G based on the later chassis (what we would call a 260Z body).

Tried googling and could only find this one:

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/011p2_Nissan-Fairlady-ZG-640x427.jpg

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/012p3_Nissan-Fairlady-ZG-640x427.jpg

All other pictures I could find are of the 71/72/73 style.

Did they make a 2+2 ZG?

http://car-pricenet.com/cars/view/588

How long were the Fairlady 240Z variants produced, from 1971 right up until 1977?

I cant recall ever seeing pictures of one, but I would imagine there would be Fairlady 240Z/L/G based on the later chassis (what we would call a 260Z body).

Did they make a 2+2 ZG?

http://car-pricenet.com/cars/view/588

Fairlady 240Z, Fairlady 240Z-L and Fairlady 240ZG were only produced from late September 1971 through to late October 1973.

There were nascent Fairlady 260Z models in 2-seater and 'Limo' form (RS30 and GRS30-prefix) even including a planned Fairlady 260ZG 2/2 model (ye gods...) but in the event only a few 2-seaters were produced and then soon pulled back to be re-engined (and have re-assigned/re-engraved chassis numbers...) with L20As and L20AEs. Troubles all emissions related, with the cars giving bad running problems/overheating/fuel percolation in hot weather. Whole thing lasted a few weeks before plug was pulled. Big mess.

Thereafter all engines L20A and then L20AE until end of S30/S31-series production in 1978. No other 'Grande nose' factory variants, only over-the-counter parts thereof.

• Administrators

Ahhh, I wondered what the "G" designation stood for, any idea if the "L" is an acronym for something?

As in Fairlady 240Z-L ?

The L stands for luxury. You got a power antenna, passenger foot rest, rally clock etc.. 

• Administrators

There were nascent Fairlady 260Z models in 2-seater and 'Limo' form (RS30 and GRS30-prefix) even including a planned Fairlady 260ZG 2/2 model (ye gods...) but in the event only a few 2-seaters were produced and then soon pulled back to be re-engined (and have re-assigned/re-engraved chassis numbers...) with L20As and L20AEs. Troubles all emissions related, with the cars giving bad running problems/overheating/fuel percolation in hot weather. Whole thing lasted a few weeks before plug was pulled. Big mess.

Thereafter all engines L20A and then L20AE until end of S30/S31-series production in 1978. No other 'Grande nose' factory variants, only over-the-counter parts thereof.

It makes you wonder why they persisted with the 260z (L26) until 1978 here if they had all those emissions problems at home and decided against it and the flat top carbs on 73 240z's in the US and 74-78 model 260z's in Australia are much loathed for those reasons also. I guess emissions were not as critical in Australia? Might also explain why the 260z disappeared after 1 year in the US, given California's strict laws on emissions.

Alan any particular reason why they named them Fairlady Z 2/2's and not 2+2's like the rest of the world in Japan? Is it a translation thing? As a side note it always annoys me when people denote them as 2X2's. Irks me for some reason.

I have a magazine somewhere with a prototype or pre-productions Fairlady 260ZG 2/2, I might dig it out and scan it in if I get a chance.

Can you clarify something for me related to the home market?

In 1974 was a Fairlady Z ('kouki' model) still stamped as S30 or S31? My understanding is that they were S30's and then when fuel injection was introduced (L20AE) perhaps in 75/76 they went with S31 prefix?

So earlier S30z's in Japan had the same dashboard and tail lights as our market 240z. 'Zenki'.

Mid year cars with different dash / tail lights and L20A could be thought of as 'chuki'

and later S31's with fuel injection can be thought of as 'kouki' models?

Or am I just confusing things further?

I think the flat top carbs are much maligned.

Overhaul and tune them and they should be fine.

I don't believe there is a fundamental flaw in the carb.

May be a urban myth and people can't be bothered to get them to run properly

Just my opinion and prepared to be corrected

Nick

It makes you wonder why they persisted with the 260z (L26) until 1978 here if they had all those emissions problems at home and decided against it and the flat top carbs on 73 240z's in the US and 74-78 model 260z's in Australia are much loathed for those reasons also. I guess emissions were not as critical in Australia? Might also explain why the 260z disappeared after 1 year in the US, given California's strict laws on emissions.

Alan any particular reason why they named them Fairlady Z 2/2's and not 2+2's like the rest of the world in Japan? Is it a translation thing? As a side note it always annoys me when people denote them as 2X2's. Irks me for some reason.

I have a magazine somewhere with a prototype or pre-productions Fairlady 260ZG 2/2, I might dig it out and scan it in if I get a chance.

Can you clarify something for me related to the home market?

In 1974 was a Fairlady Z ('kouki' model) still stamped as S30 or S31? My understanding is that they were S30's and then when fuel injection was introduced (L20AE) perhaps in 75/76 they went with S31 prefix?

So earlier S30z's in Japan had the same dashboard and tail lights as our market 240z. 'Zenki'.

Mid year cars with different dash / tail lights and L20A could be thought of as 'chuki'

and later S31's with fuel injection can be thought of as 'kouki' models?

Or am I just confusing things further?

I'm afraid I struggle with the multi quote thing on this new forum software, so I'll try to answer the questions (so many questions!) in order:

Japanese emissions standards started to get exponentially tougher during the period we are talking about. I believe they were some of the toughest in the world at the time, perhaps matched only by those in California. Auto makers were struggling to keep up, I think. It's no wonder they dropped a few clangers like the ill-fated Fairlady 260Z along the way, in my opinion.

I have no idea why they used '2/2' rather than '2+2' in Japan, but my guess is that it was already local vernacular from other models and/or '2+2' doesn't work very well when you vocalise it ('two plus two') in Japanese. Whenever I've heard '2/2' in spoken Japanese it's usually said as "two by two", which seems to work OK.

Change from 'S30' to 'S31' model type (a half-step in model evolution, usually made to appease lawmakers and again linked to emissions and safety legislation) happened in July 1976. The injected L20E engined models were phased in during September 1975, so the 'S31' designation didn't specifically denote injection-engined cars. Complicated, isn't it?

Your outlines of 'Zenki', 'Chuki' and 'Kouki' seem roughly correct to me, but lets remember that this is only vernacular that came into use after the event, and it's not very specific. It's a bit like that American 'Series One', 'Series Two' etc thing that is a local creation of convenience intended to refine understanding. The truth is that - with the S30/S31 series Z - there are slightly grey borders of changeover and spec detail all the way through production... Which is half the fun!  

I think the flat top carbs are much maligned.

Overhaul and tune them and they should be fine.

I don't believe there is a fundamental flaw in the carb.

May be a urban myth and people can't be bothered to get them to run properly

Just my opinion and prepared to be corrected

Nick

I think a lot of it comes from the north American versions, which were a different model to the 'flat top' carbs used elsewhere (and which were - I'm told - actually superior to the old 'round top' type in almost every way).

Thanks hs30-h

So there were actually fairlady 260z build.. So to confirm, s30/s31 engines are L20,L24 and L26. Am i right?

You'll never find a 'Fairlady 260Z' in Japan, because what few were produced were recalled/reassigned.

Please be careful with the 'S30/S31' thing, as it denotes the whole series as well as some specific models (which causes no end of confusion).

Engines used in Japanese market models include L20A, L24T, L20AE, L20E and L20T. There are sub variants (high/low compression, high octane/low octane etc) in the mix too. To refine down to specific engine type you need full model code (inc prefixes and suffixes), month and year of build and any ticked-off options chosen by buyer (high octane/low octane, air con equipped etc). Even then there were constant updates and minor detail changes in between. 

Like I keep saying, it's complicated... 

Quick question, somewhat related.  

What carburettors were on the S20? 

Wikipedia says: Weber 40DCOE carbs,  correct? 

Sometimes I want to kill Wikipedia with fire. It's a nice idea but the weak link is the very same thing that is supposed to make it great.

The OEM carbs on the S20 engine in the PGC10, PS30, PS30-SB and KPGC10 were three Mikuni-Solex N40PHHs. Very slight differences between the GT-R and 432/432-R types, but basically the same. There was a left, middle and right carb for each set.

Weber 45DCOE-9s were offered as a Nissan 'Sports Option' part for S20-equipped cars.

I've seen some confusion in the past arising from the fitment of triple 42DCOEs to the Prince GR8 engine as used in the R380-I, and also the Webers used on the S54 Prince Skyline GT-Bs etc, so I wonder if some of it arises from that...?   

• 2 months later...

Hi,

just reading through, when it comes to the the (Z432 JDM) set up, I thought it was alomg the lines of a 160 hp, 1,989 cc DOHC 24-valve S20 inline six-cylinder engine with triple side-draft Mikuni-Solex carburetors, coupled to a 5 speed gearbox for the very limited run.

Cheers

Steve 

Hi,

just reading through, when it comes to the the (Z432 JDM) set up, I thought it was alomg the lines of a 160 hp, 1,989 cc DOHC 24-valve S20 inline six-cylinder engine with triple side-draft Mikuni-Solex carburetors, coupled to a 5 speed gearbox for the very limited run.

Yes, that's correct.

If you see it quoted as anything different, by all means wind me up and point me at it...

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

1490913998519-2cb30e18-7514-44b5-bd2c-a0db5ad3b3c8.jpg

1490914076465-2894d611-4681-4f21-b87d-c7581a3a8e1b.jpg

Biggest disappointment with this article is that it doesn't talk much about the 2/2 with the Grande Nose.

Caption simply reads.

Below: The real show stealer was Datsun's 260z - a 2+2 in the E-type tradition. Let's hope it doesn't meet with the same fate as the Jaguar - discontinued this year.

You can see the banner behind that says Fairlady 260z 2by2

This article was published January 1974, so it's likely the event happened around (October 1973?) perhaps? It was the Tokyo Motorshow (20th Anniversary)

*Edit here we go. 30th of October 1973.

http://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/en/history/20.html

Just goes to show how popular the 2+2 concept was at the time and for that reason I really feel the 2+2's get a hard time in hindsight. Great car.

See 2:50 mark, a couple of Japanese Models in yellow are talking about the car. Kind of feel sad it never happened.