Light weight, Japan-style 240Z

BenZed

• Moderators

Those tyres look alot like the Hoosier R6 semi slick; DOT approved but on the sidewall says "NOT INTENDED FOR ROAD USE"... you can use on the road but if it rains...watch out!

Yes they are supposed to be the equivalent of a Hoosier A6, but much cheaper. From what I've read the performance is the same and they last a bit longer. We'll see what they do for my car at Wakefield. Less brake locking will save some time straight away.

We had a guy run something similar in our class but in the end it was found they didn't fit the rules of the class as they weren't for road use and he wasn't allowed to run them anymore.  But if you're just running sprints it doesn't really matter and I know they did work really well on his car.

Yeah I just got them for sprints. I just heard from Steve Cox that I won a trophy at Wakefield (I didn't stay for the trophy presentation as I had to return my trailer). Apparently I was quickest in type 2 (modified 3.0 to 3.5) which would be much more impressive if there was more than one other Zed in the class  :P

Hey Ben...my Z always leaked oil from the diff breather...I just made up a pig tail of rubber hose (5/8 from memory) that tucks up beside the wheel well, and that takes care of it. You could do a catch can if you want, but the hose works fine.

Cheers

Jamo

• 3 months later...

Nice to see coverage of the Nissan/Datsun Nationals in Hot4s and FF&R, especially since they both put a photo of my car in ::)

I don't think they'll mind me putting this here, I was the editor for 6 years after all...

Another weird thing, a couple of weeks ago another trophy got posted to me for best modified 240Z. Not sure why it took 3 months to choose a winner?

post-853-144023640246_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

Took the car to WSID last week for another run. Now I have the taller 4.375 gears and tall Kameari first gear it is unfortunately much harder to launch. My 60-foot times went from 1.7 to 1.9-2.0. The extra power with the 102-octane tune was evident in the 109.8mph terminal speed, but the elapsed time was much the same at 12.88.

I could put a normal gearbox in to get a more suitable first gear, but to be honest I don't care enough about drag racing to bother.

Also had the car at the Marulan driver training track a couple of weeks back. The tall second gear was enough for most of the track, apart from the last 100m or so of the straight. Fun for a day but I feel like I've done it now... no need for another try. What interests me now is the new "south" circuit at Eastern creek, which would be good fun in the Zed.

Here's a video of the run

Took the car to WSID last week for another run. Now I have the taller 4.375 gears and tall Kameari first gear it is unfortunately much harder to launch. My 60-foot times went from 1.7 to 1.9-2.0. The extra power with the 102-octane tune was evident in the 109.8mph terminal speed, but the elapsed time was much the same at 12.88.

I could put a normal gearbox in to get a more suitable first gear, but to be honest I don't care enough about drag racing to bother.

Also had the car at the Marulan driver training track a couple of weeks back. The tall second gear was enough for most of the track, apart from the last 100m or so of the straight. Fun for a day but I feel like I've done it now... no need for another try. What interests me now is the new "south" circuit at Eastern creek, which would be good fun in the Zed.

Here's a video of the run

Wow if your cars is pulling 12's on the 1/4 your bound to smash your PB at wakefield with the new tyres. Can't wait to you crack it.

let us know if you go to EC, would love to join or watch.

Cheers,

Will.

On September 29 this year, FoSC is running a single day meeting on the new south only circuit at EC.

I just come back from the HSRCA historic meeting, they were supposed to run full track plus the xtension total 4.9 kms, but too many said they did not like the extension, so we just ran the 3.9 k original.

I got down into the 1.51's in the four cylinder Dato 2000 Hysterical car.

On September 29 this year, FoSC is running a single day meeting on the new south only circuit at EC.

I just come back from the HSRCA historic meeting, they were supposed to run full track plus the xtension total 4.9 kms, but too many said they did not like the extension, so we just ran the 3.9 k original.

I got down into the 1.51's in the four cylinder Dato 2000 Hysterical car.

How do I get onto that one?

There is also going to be a sprint day at Wakefield on the 9th of September as a part of the Skyline Nationals weekend if you are interested.

I'm taking my zed up so you won't be the only one there lol

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Thread from the dead.

Ben, just wondering if you have any pics of mounting the fibreglass dash.

Did the dash have all the standard mounting points? I’m guessing you had to do some fabrication.

Thanks

Mick