'75 260Z Finally Mine

PriceyZed

Thanks for the encouragement Jeff.

The more I pull the old girl apart, the better the starting base looks. After pulling out the trans, I saw the full extent of damage to the floor rails. Drivers side is sold however it looks like someone has taken to it with a mash hammer! and the passengers side the same, with a bunch of rust right at the rear of it. Apart from those and the few spots pictured above everything looks pretty tidy. The L28 has been freshened up by the looks of it recently, which might might lead to some money saving in replacing bearings rings etc (depending on how money is looking when I start on the motor) dash looms etc look excellent, apart from some backyard looking radio loom install and a rough relay install which I'm assuming was for lights, also a blown out connector coming from the indicator stalk that had been bypassed, which is all small things that should be easy for a handy sparky such as myself to address ::) 

The hard part will be to keep the momentum going when the car goes to the panel beater... 

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd throw up some photos summarising the areas that need attention that I've come across after stripping the car.

Apart from the areas in photo's the floor rails will need to be replaced, not necessarily rusted out but beaten to hell so may as well weld in some new ones with thicker sheet steel while I'm at it.

The radiator support is the same, Not rusted but who ever owned this is the past must lived down a rough dirt road cause its beaten to hell as well.

Had a chat with dattocam and he thinks he'll be able to help with most areas that I've outlined which is incredible, can't thank him enough. And getting the floor rails bent up at the local steel supplier in town.

Quick question would be: What gauge of steel would people suggest for the floor rails?

And would it be ok to cut the floor rails after they taper up into the chassis rails and just weld in the straight                                              section?

post-103039-0-67624500-1466465177_thumb.jpg

post-103039-0-53365400-1466465397_thumb.jpg

post-103039-0-12486600-1466465712_thumb.jpg

post-103039-0-59203800-1466465935_thumb.jpg

post-103039-0-91744300-1466466141_thumb.jpg

post-103039-0-93646100-1466466286_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Hi,

That certainly looks like the normal Z rust issues, but not as bad as many have dealt with.

I spied a HJ/X/Z Wagon in background - yours as well ?

Cheers

PB

Edited by PB260Z

There are three layers to the sills in the dogleg area. Take a deep breath and be ready for a rusty mess when you cut away the dogleg. I,d recommend buying complete L&R sills and make the decision on how much of the sill you use when you open it up. The door frame behind the skin will need work too so it is worthwhile seeing if a better door will mean skin only versus frame repair and skin.

Keep the pics coming.

Hi PB. That's my prem (last project) fondly know as Beverly. Completely origional down to the brake lines. Yeah I'm dreading to see what's under the dog legs. Hopefully dattocam can help me out with the shells he has. Should here back in a day or two as to the areas of the car he can help me out with.

Nice example of a prem. Mine is only a 6 with tri attic but purrs like a kitten so don't want to mess with it to much... For now.

Going to put time and effort into the z then go back and take a look at the drive train on the Ol' prem

Honestly Lurch I haven't seen the new panels from Tabco or MSA I only went with the the panels from dattocam because he advertised and I'm spoiled for choice with his spares. The panels that he can help me with are in pretty good nick and the areas like the fuel filler and floor rails will be fabricated new.

Any suggestions are more than welcome. I'll suss out Tabco and MSA

• Moderators

My first car was a HZ wagon in that lovely cream / babys*** colour Pete. Brings back memories!!

My first car was a KE20 Corolla, one of many cars I wished I had kept.

• 8 months later...

So its been ages since my last post and there's been a fare bit of progress.
The car has been completely stripped to a rolling shell and handed to my panel beater for blasting and all hanging panels off.
He talked me into taking off the rear quarters when he saw the dog legs and a small amount of rust on the rear window surrounds.
BEST DECISION EVER... As you can see from the photos, if we hadn't taken them off i would've been looking at bubbles on my nice new 
doglegs in 3-5 years. Other areas that came to light were the passenger foot well/ lower battery tray, beneath the slam panel, where the
A-pillar meets the inner guard, and once all the leaves were vacuumed out from under the beaver panel there was a square box that the
blower motor bolts to that was rat s*#t... and just a touch on the firewall.
Also found that the car has been in an accident at some point in its life and a pretty shitty attempt at a repair been done on the drivers side,
floor is a little beet but easily fixed.

So a bit more than i first thought, I'm a little disappointed by how much was found in total but its not the end of the world.

Pricey I know how you are feeling......unfortunately in most cases rust was an option you got for free.

Looks like the panel beater will sort all of the ratty bits.

Nice progress to date. Nice drop that great northern.

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

The more I read, the more I see that most Z cars are the same when you start peeling back the layers.

Just thankful that I've got some good support to help where I need it. I'm going to try and do some of

the repairs that no one will see like the inner dog legs etc.