S30Z - Badge Identification Information.

PB260Z

• Moderators

Hi,

Does anyone know if the pillar badges (that cover the vent hole) on 2 seater will also fit a 2+2 ?

I am aware that they are a different design, but am wondering if the 3 pin location is the same.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

PB

post-102365-0-61803900-1443674072_thumb.jpg

I can confirm what Gav mentioned. The 2+2 badges are different and the holes nowhere near line up. Changing my 2+2 ones to the 2 seater ones (as they can be had new which I already have) and the hole on the +2 is also larger so the pins will be a very tight fit for drilling the holes. 

Basically the 2 seater badge is about the size of the inside section of the +2 badge (so you still have the circle border on the +2 badge showing). 

Will try get a photo and upload it shortly.

The us shop MSA or what ever you guys call it sells genuine factory badges. I was very surprised when I received them as I thought they will be a knock off.

I think it costed about $35 each which I thought was a good price for genuine metal chrome badge.

Since postage would be a lot maybe it is worth getting a group buy organised and grab a few at once.

Just a thought.

Ps they had them in stock so it should only take a week to get here.

Iceberg, MSA have had the +2 badges listed as out of stock for a long time now. I never chased them up to ask if they were getting new ones in or not. Just to confirm everything this is the description for the +2 badges from MSA.

Description:

The "roof" emblems are located directly behind the quarter windows. On 2+2 models, the emblem is larger and has an orange background around the "Z".

• Administrators

Thought it would be a good idea to turn this into a badge (or as our North American friends refer to them 'emblems') identification thread.

Below is a collection of badges I have, the 240z 1/4 panel badges are metal, the lower 240z badges for the rear hatch are both plastic and the bonnet badges are plastic (left) and metal (right).

IMG_20151001_190751.jpg

It's difficult to tell from photos, but I noticed some differences on the rear that might help identify which are which.

Bonnet badges.

IMG_20151001_190934.jpg

From this side it's almost impossible to tell, the left hand side i plastic, the right hand side is metal. If you pick them up you can instantly feel the weight of the metal badge, it definitely feels solid.

IMG_20151001_190923.jpg

The rear of metal badge, not around mounting pin is glue residue, the retaining pin piece is missing on the left, but can just be seen on the right. (It's a sleeve like thing that slips over the pin).

Here is the plastic bonnet badge for comparison.

IMG_20151001_190919.jpg

It looks like the part no. is imprinted on the rear. 65810-E4601 - I've seen similar things with Mazda parts. I'm not sure at what point Nissan started to do this, so if others have pictures of their badges to compare that would be useful.

Here is the rear of the hatch badges.

IMG_20151001_190943.jpg

As you can see no part no.s are printed on the rear, but there is other numbers. This part is plastic with broken pins. I bought these off an eBayer who told me they were metal :(.

Front shot for comparison.

IMG_20151001_191007.jpg

Here is the 1/4 badges. Early 240z only.

IMG_20151001_191016.jpg

and front.

IMG_20151001_191030.jpg

I will have to dig out the plastic DATSUN front fender badges also for comparison. Feel free to contribute your badge photos here. I am finding metal badges quite hard to find these days. Apart from the rear of the badges, the biggest giveaway is the feel of early metal vs later plastic style ones.

Hi Gav,

Do you know when they switched from the metal bonnet badge to the plastic version? I have been trying to get my paws on a metal one but they seem to be very rare. I also rang Nissan to ask about availability and was told the only badge they could get for a 2+2 was the rear Datsun script badge, they wanted ridiculous money for it too.

Cheers

• Administrators

It's my understanding that the early cars had metal badges and this was changed later on. I don't know the exact cut off, but I believe my 72/73 model 240z's both had or have plastic badges. So pretty sure it ties in with other early features like vents in hatch, solid spoke steering wheel etc..

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Just an FYI, but the clips on the rear of badges are called "Barrel Clips".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Emblem-Clip-Set-510-240Z-260Z-280Z-OEM-NEW-/311463425603

Unfortunately this seller deliberately obfuscates the part no.s

If anyone has them please post them here.

• 3 months later...

Since Gavin turned this into a badge id thread I thought this should be posted here.

Have only just removed the bonnet badge from the bonnet (after having been pushed to way under the house for storage) and discovered that it is not the standard Datsun badge.

The badge is metal.  Is it a home market bonnet badge?  Unfortunately, mine is in nowhere near as good a condition as the one in the picture.  :-[

307572394_e70450cb90_z.jpg?zz=1

• Administrators

Don't turf it!

It could be a Japanese Fairlady Z badge. I don't think 280zx badges would be metal, by that time they would be plastic. My 72 240z 1/4 badges are still metal (early 72 model) so Nissan was producing metal badges up till that point at least.

I will have to double-check because it could still be a 280zx badge but before you turf it let's confirm.

*Edit link to Yahoo! Auctions.

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b193718570

Seems to suggest it's a 1/4 emblem / badge.

asubou-img600x600-1454232370miw52n3815.j

asubou-img600x600-1454232370acnpjm3815.j