GongZ

Nsw - Historic Vehicle Log Book Trial

The NSW government is soon to commence a trial of 60 days a year Historic vehicle use - yay!!  :D

It will be similar to the 45/90 day system in Victoria - meaning that you will be able to use your car for personal trips as well as club events or servicing/testing/inspection purposes.

"The Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight, Duncan Gay, has asked Transport for NSW and Roads and Maritime Services to develop a Historic Vehicle Log Book Trial.

The Log Book Trial will allow all operators of existing vehicles within the Historic Vehicle Scheme to opt-in. These vehicles may then be used for 60 days of general use (i.e. club events, maintenance and personal use) each year. Each day’s use must be recorded in a Log Book.

New entrants to the Historic Vehicle Scheme after the trial commences may apply for inclusion in the Log Book Trial, subject to the existing historic vehicle and registered operator eligibility criteria.

The trial will operate for two years, with an evaluation to be completed during this period as part of the Roads and Maritime Services review of the overall Conditional Registration Scheme.

The Historic Vehicle Log Book Trial will commence on 1 October 2015. Details on how to opt in to the trial will be updated on this page from this date."

The only sticking point seems to be;

Historic vehicles must be as close to original condition as possible, with no alterations except for safety features such as seat belts and turn indicators or period accessories and options, if desired.

- so are triple Webers, as an example, considered a 'period option'? Is this a new and stricter restriction?

I am sure that I have seen S30Z's with Webers being used under the current NSW Historic registration system - can somebody please confirm this?

Could 1980's Toyota 4-spot calipers be considered a 'safety feature' on a 1970's S30Z?

Links to pages discussing the NSW trial;

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/b2b/releases/150904_MR_Classics%20get%20a%20better%20run%20with%20conditional%20registration%20trial_F.pdf

http://www.bushcouncil.com.au/Conditional-Registration-Logbook-Scheme-Trial.php

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/get-nsw-registration/historic-vehicles.html

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/classics-get-better-run-conditional-registration-trial

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/owning-a-classic-car-just-got-better-20150904-gjf84j.html

http://www.streetmachine.com.au/news/1509/trial-for-60-day-rego-scheme-gets-go-ahead-in-nsw/

Edited by GongZ

No such thing as a trial really, if they bring it in for you it will be there to stay, but would be subject to rules and regs changes etc.

for me it is a great scheme I have 2 cars on it and a 3rd potentially total reg for 3 is $381.00 for a total 270 days of use for all cars.

The system here works really well for enthusiasts, however it has also been sadly abused and the reason Victoria is now going through changes on the red plate scheme.

historic vehicles must be close to original, anything modified will go to engineer and be on "M" plate. we still use private roadworthy testers here and require a Victorian RWC to go into the scheme.

Edited by Linton

As I understand it, the bit you have quoted refers to the original Historic scheme, where vehicles can only be used on club runs, etc and must be "original". This is still in place - there will be two "schemes" running in NSW. 

"Original" is up to the individual clubs - some are more, ummm, "relaxed" with regards to what is a "safety related" upgrade. Webbers, etc are usually justified by the clause "period accessories and options" 

The new scheme will cater for any vehicles (original or modified). "Modified" is anything that is road legal. Anything that requires an engineers certificate for full rego will require an engineers certificate for the new scheme, same as full rego. It will just cost less for less useage. 

For more info, consult yoru car club (yes, you need to be in a car club to take advantage of the new scheme).

Edited by 1600dave

Interesting, how many NSW folks on here would change their registration status based on this.

Personaly I will be going with full rego (when my car is finished 8)  )

If they bough this in in Qld i would be very happy, 60 days a year would be more than enough for my Chugger, hell at the moment, if it was all cars, even more than enough for the ute at the moment with all the offshore work I am getting.

Interesting, how many NSW folks on here would change their registration status based on this.

Personaly I will be going with full rego (when my car is finished 8)  )

I was planning full rego because I didn't want to be restricted to club drive days (not that I am in a club at the moment), but 60 days a year is 5 days a month - covers me going for a weekly drive plus one more drive through the month.  I'd definitely consider it if it means a big differential in cost.  Can't see myself driving it a lot more than that as 2 seater means either the wife or the daughter misses out and I don't want to negotiate that one any more than once a week !

How much do you stand to save by going historic rego? If it's only a couple of hundred or thereabouts it's not really worth the hassle.

So rego is cheaper. By how much?

Do you get cheaper green slips?

Cheaper insurance? This would be based on your usage level with the likes of Shannons anyway.

Then there's the cost of joining the club and the attendance requirements.

Edited by George

Not sure of the new scheme, have heard a figure of $200 thrown around ( although that may just be a figure someone has plucked from thin air). The old scheme (ie use the car on club runs, etc only) was $50 a year last time I had a car on the road.

Edited by 1600dave

Good questions George and I don't know the savings, but I believe it is about $400-$500 per year. I will make some enquiries overvthe coming days.

In the back of my mind I am wondering what is involved, and the cost, of creating AusZcar (NSW Branch) accredited club.

If there was enough interest from the NSW contributors it may be a worthwhile idea.

Tanymore thoughts and comments

To set a club up is a lot of work, you need a constitution, office bearers and incorporation, plus insurances and that's just off the top of my head, plus accounts and auditing and so on.

For the dollars it costs, join the Sydney Zed club or the NSWRRC or the ARDC or Nissan Datsun Owners club or whatever other club is local and does stuff you are interested in, pays your monies, do what you need and enjoy cheap rego and fun times.

Hi Peter

Did you investigate this any further?

I previously emailed Syd Datsun Club but did not get a response.

Keen to know any more info anyone has.

Thanks

Mark

No mate, didn't take it any further.

Imdon't need any extra red tape in my life.

Cheers

PB

so mine is 'close enough' to period correct mods? lol

Not that i'll be seeing the road any day soon haha

so mine is 'close enough' to period correct mods? lol

Not that i'll be seeing the road any day soon haha

If you are prepared to emigrate from the ACT all the way to NSW, you can participate in Stage 2 of the trial;

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/get-nsw-registration/historic-vehicles/log-book-trial.html

"The log book trial has two stages:

Stage 1 - From 1 October 2015, vehicles that are in, or eligible to be in, the existing Historic Vehicle Scheme can be part of the log book trial. The registered operator must be a member of a Roads and Maritime recognised historic vehicle club that is participating in the log book trial.
Stage 2 - In early 2016, a Modified Classic Vehicle Scheme will be introduced. These vehicles will be eligible for conditional registration and can be included in the log book trial."

"Early in 2016, Stage 2 will see the development of a Modified Classic Vehicle Scheme. This scheme will provide the opportunity for modified classic vehicles which are 30 years of age or older to also be conditionally registered.

The Modified Classic Vehicle Scheme is anticipated to operate in a similar way to the Historic Vehicle Scheme. Things like forming a club, joining a club and applying for conditional registration will be similar. Clubs may also choose to participate in the log book trial for classic vehicles.

Existing recognised historic vehicle clubs may also choose to become a club under the Modified Classic Vehicle Scheme.

Some matters currently being worked through with enthusiasts, industry and government stakeholders include the vehicle standards and CTP insurance classification. Modified vehicles require a different process to determine their suitability for safe use and it is important that clubs have this capability.

From 1 October 2015, if you are interested in either forming or joining a club under the proposed Modified Classic Vehicle Scheme please email Modified.Vehicles.Scheme@rms.nsw.gov.au.

For further information about the Historic and Classic Vehicle Log Book Trial, please call the Contact Centre on 13 77 88."

Still thinking I'll pursue this.  Pricewise conditional rego is about $65 per year, including admin and plate fees.  This includes green slip cover.  Someone with a NSW registered Z could comment but I'm sure you'd be looking at $800 or $900 for full rego including greenslip so this is a massive saving (even after paying club fees etc)?

In terms of proving roadworthiness I need to get a blue slip done anyway so I'm comfortable with that, and would be happy to fork out for a roadworthy each year (I would be getting one for full rego anyway!).

It would certainly suit me too Andy.

I have not enquired, but I assume that there would be a significant saving on comprehensive insurance too.

No worries PB.

Your beast must be getting close!!!!

Thanks

Gidday

Yes it is getting close, very close, suffered a small set back on the weekend - blew the exhaust manifold gasket.

Anyway that is the fun of older cars.

Cheers

PB

Just wondering whether anyone here has signed their Z up to the Classic Vehicle Scheme and if so which car club they used for membership and was blue slip needed if you were already registered??

$120 for rego and CTP is mighty appealing.

Info:

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/get-nsw-registration/historic-vehicles/log-book-trial.html

https://www.streetmachine.com.au/news/1612/logbook-rego-for-street-machines

John

Hi John,

I know that Cozza (Mick) has done this. Hopefully he will see this topic and enlighten you on his experience.

If you can get him to add any details here, I'd appreciate that. There is a chance I'll be moving my 72 240z to NSW in the future (parents want to downsize) and I'll need to store my car elsewhere. It's currently on Victorian Registration (Historic plates).

Yep, I have the log book scheme but don't feel I'm an expert on the subject. Hopefully others will chime in with more info.

The conditional rego allows 60 days of regular use + club sanctioned events.

To get the conditional rego you need to be a member of a participating club, I am a member of Sydney Dastun Club who also run a bunch of track and social events. Win Win!!

I can't remember if I got a blue slip but, I think different clubs have different setups where some clubs will have club members assess the car for road worthiness where others require a pink or blue slip. If you're already a member of a club, contact them to confirm if they participate in the scheme and their requirements for roadworthiness assessment.

The conditional rego has some pros and cons, where the obvious benefit is the cost of rego is significantly cheaper than normal (about $100/yr) and no need to purchase CTP insurance (green slip). Although you do pay club rego fees.

Some of the downsides

- You can't retain personalised rego plates, instead the plates are smaller than normal and start with an H + 5 digits. (I'm paying plate storage fees this year)

- The scheme currently only allows light period modifications but a modified vehicle scheme is set to start up quite soon, it may already be running???

- you've got to remember to fill out the log book before you drive, but what's worse is that it makes you realise how little you drive the car ???? I think I've racked up 8 days since April.

Overall, as I don't use the car more than 60 days a year, and the cost benefits out weigh all the negatives, I'm gonna stick with it for the foreseeable future.

Hope that helps

Mick