260DET

Racing A V8 Modified Four Seat Coupe?

Harry on PF punts a near stock one around Lakeside, got into the 59's the other day, with a flippin three speed auto lol. He is having problems with wheel bearings, might be worth checking that out.

Yeah right that's interesting, bearings feel ok at the moment but 24 hours of racing could effect that lol. 59s is scorching fast, it must have a single turbo for those sort of times. Any way ill definitely check it out, do you have a link?

Is that mdel Soarer on the accepted group 2 sports car lsting that CAMS publshes?

No but i was going to apply to have it added. I know there is talk about other people doing that. Initially Doug and I were just going to have a crack at the top gear series at LSP and QR. Looks perfect for first timers.

Edited by d3c0y

The Soararse isn't eligible for group 2, but maybbe eligible for IPRA, but if racing up here just race it at QR in the outlaw class or in the sedan/tourer class, no log books and easier to go racing with licencing and so on.

Could Richo apply for it's inclusion, the interior would have to exceed requirements, and Jake and his pisse are setting ne up, r something similar.

Bit f mucking about re submitting to PSCRA Australua, but they have approved some mdel Supra's, so a Snorere should not be hard?

Unless something extra tasty comes along, the present intention is to build a 3D Sports Sedan using a Merc C class W203 coupe with a LSx donk and a sequential shift auto transmission. The Zed option is just too expensive now, runner C classes can be picked up for $5K .

But, unlike some turncoats, my Zed credentials will still be good, 280ZX shorty will do sprint duties :D

Edited by 260DET

Lgbook the ZX, it will open up more possible opportunities for it!

The w203 Mercs go well in DTM and Euro events.

Space frame under shell buiod?

Or keep it as a base floorpan, cut sections out as needed?

Seeing that the W203 was designed to accomodate a V6 a LSx should fit OK, the present idea is to leave the body as stock as possible and just add performance items like a body kit, aftermarket suspension, etc. The only significant problem could be the rear end, I have no idea if any other Mercs can donate a LSD, heavier axles if needed and so on. Alternatively I do have a spare R200 LSD.

280ZX has a half cage and will be used as is for sprints only eg the Morgan Park 2016 series. It should be home next week :)

As it is going to be a lgbooked Sports Sedan, why not cut out the firewall, set motor as far back as possible, and then bx it all in.

There'd have to be a diff/cv shaft combo from the bgger bdy cars that should bolt in.

Be interesting to see how much kg comes out f it going from Luxo to Stripper!

Firewall is likely to be a double skinned structure and care would have to be taken to not weaken the body but, yes, getting the engine back a bit is a good idea. 50/50 should be possible without too much surgery though. Shortening the tailshaft enough so a one piece item could be used instead of the two piece would be good too, make it a lot easier to get rid of the rubber couplings.

But first get the Zed back and sorted, plus get a hoist installed.

Found this pic the other day of a LSx in a W203, looks like there is relatively plenty of room for extractors which there wasn't with the 280.

post-101215-0-63890900-1444082879_thumb.jpg

Richard,

What's your motives?

You love an auto V8?

Or you just love building another race car?

A mate of mine just bought a Improved Production Falcon for less than 10K, it will be an easier starting point?

Love building race cars and trying to get the best out of them, love power and speed, hate changing gears, love coupes, prefer the car road less traveled, if there is enough money available then that's all that matters  :)